It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
    jhmitch
    (female)

jhmitch HB User
    Question Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

I've been a chronic pain patient for several years and have had antibiotic and food allergies for many more. What really concerns me is that since I had surgery (about a month ago) I can no longer take Tylenol # 3 or hydrocodone with Tylenol for pain, though I was prescribed Tylenol #3 for over a year before this without incident. Now, whenever I take Tylenol #3 or hydrocodone, I break out in hives (I now also break out in hives without taking codeine-based meds, as well, but that is another story...)

My doctor suggested using Darvocet but it doesn't touch the pain levels I am experiencing. Do any of you know of any other Schedule III opiate -Tylenol combinations that I could try which DON'T contain codeine or a related synthetic codeine? Anything with aspirin also triggers an allergic reaction, unfortunately. My doctor would be reluctant to prescibe a more restricted, Schedule II, controlled substance, I'm sure.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

"It is more about the journey... than the destination"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Post Re: Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

Perhaps ultracet may be an option for you. Ultracet is a combo of tramadol and tylenol and is schedule IV. Tramadol is not technically a narcotic, but it is a fully synthetic drug, (as opposed to the semi-synthetic codeine and hydrocodone you have been having trouble with), that has properties of both opiates/opioids and benzos (like xanax). It can still be addictive and can cause seizures in very high doses, but is otherwise supposed to be a safe and effective painkiller, although I have never personally tried it. It is also available without tylenol (ultram). Ask your doc if this may be a possibility considering your previous allergies. good luck.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
    jhmitch
    (female)

jhmitch HB User
    Cool Re: Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

Thanks wirry1422, I appreciate your response! Ultram (or Ultracet) does sound like it might be a viable possibility for my situation. I'll suggest it to my doctor.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 AM   #4
    barteel

barteel HB User
    Re: Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #5
    jhmitch
    (female)

jhmitch HB User
    Cool Re: Allergic To Codeine-based Meds

Hello ~j !

I appreciate your caution on Ultram (Ultracet). So many "wonder drugs" work great during the first 6 months or a year that they are studied prior to approval, but have drawbacks that aren't discovered until a patient has been on that med for years.

Many, many, years ago, my mother was given the anti-anxiety drug, Miltown, and assured by her doctor that it wouldn't be habit forming. Years later, another doctor had to put her through a taper-off program so she wouldn't have withdrawal symptoms. It was difficult for her to get off Miltown (Meprobamate) but by then it was classified as a Schedule IV drug.

Closed Thread