It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Help guys! Where do I go?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
    barteel

barteel HB User
    Exclamation Help guys! Where do I go?

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
    mommy2scl
    (female)

mommy2scl HB User
    Re: Help guys! Where do I go?

Jonathon

There is nothing I can do to help, but please know my heart is breaking for you right now. I live in fear that the same thing could happen to me. Every time I go to the docs I fear this will be the time I will just get the big blow off. I have been treated so badly in the past I have a hard time trusting any doctors. My current doc is very compassionate and wonderful and I even have a hard time trusting that. I think it is too good to be true. Just know I am thinking of you and praying for you. Hang in there.

Mommy

Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
    deerme

deerme HB User

I had an experience where a Doc. would never call me back when I needed him the most. Sometimes for a couple days in a row. You would be suprised how FAST they will see you when you walk into the office "CALMLY", and announce to the secretary or nurse loud enough for everyone to hear " I have been waiting X amount of days for you to call, to help me with X. I am here, I am not leaving til I see the Doc. Then explain LOUDLY enough for everybody to hear, how he was supposed to call, and left you hanging. I gaurantee he will see you. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
    Streetcar
    (male)

Streetcar HB User

Hey Jonny,

My heart and prayers go out to you!!

I think that we all live in fear of the same thing. You might give St Agnus a call, explain the spot you are in and if they can't help with some emergency meds, maybe they could assist you with what you can do til you can get your appt. If nothing else maybe they'll write you an Rx fot some meds to help with the withdrawls.

If that fails to be of any help I would probably head to ER. Hang in there Jonny, help will come.

Keep us posted!

Ken
    Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, IBS-C, Esophageal Spasms

Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey John,I'm sorry my memory isn't terrific, can you remnd me of what is causing the pain and what surgery your thoracic surgeon did.

I had a my regular follow up today, I had no intention on asking for a pump increase but my main doc, not my pump doc came in to talk about options as if I wasn't satisfied, I think it has more to do with the concentration of morphine I would need to have a decent refill interval. Right now it's only 4 weeks. But they can increase from 20mgs per ml to 50 mgs per ml, however with that high of a concentration there is a risk of developing a granular cyst at the end of the cath in my spine. My daily dose is moderate but I have the older pump,I should have waited for that 40ml resevoir, but hind site is 20/20. Both medtronics, the medtronics rep and my pump doc were under the belief the synchromed 11 wouldn't be available untill around now, instead it came out in sept, just 3 months after I had the 18ml resevir pump implanted.

We talked about my options, whether or not I should be stretching and twsiting and doing the spine stabilzation excercises I have done for 12 years. With no fusion at several spots and broken and toggling hardware, he didn't feel that doing the excercises they teach all spine patients would be anything but torture for me. He did make the same doc comment that nobody has ever died from pain. The suicide rate is 600 times higher in the CP comunity than in the general public but it's not pain that kills these people, It's depression and loss of hope. Or heart attacks from high BP.

MY younger brother killed himself when he was 24, 14 years ago, god time flys. That landed me in a shrinks office after about 3 months after when it really hit me. It ripped the guts out of my parents, no parent should out live their child. Period!.

My shrink explained suicide as as a temp break in the rational thought process. Please do not do anything to hurt yourself. The answer may be just 2 weeks away at the other clinic. To end things 2 weeks away from a possble answer would be a waste that everyone in your life would have to live with and deal with for the rest of their lives. It may seem like a solution to the pain you are experiencing ,but it will simply transfer to everyone in your family and circle of friends.

Find a shrink, to help you deal with this. They can prescribe meds that wll help better than the junk that was called in. There is a reason elevill is used on neuro pain, but I don't know the details of your pain. But a shrink can certainly help with the anxiety and depression, He can help with detox by prescribing a benzo and clonodine and there is an answer, right now your not thinking about down the road, you can't think of anything except a final solution beyond the next couple hours at this point. So what if you spend the next 10 days in a psych hopital to be treated for withdrawal and depression. Then you come out, go to the clinic and work together with the clinic and hopefully a shrink you have confidence in that you can talk about some of these scarry issues.

I understand about being mad about your doc not even knowing how to write a C-2 script. That thing wouldn't get filled anywhere except the hospital where the doc practices out of, because the pharamacist would have contacted the doc and demanded the proper script to keep his books in order.

I know I tend to be blunt sometimes but I'm also blunt about myself. I don't have to tell people about my brother other than to explain, it doesn't solve anything and causes more pain than you can imagiene, whether it's physical or emotional, it's just as devestating. The good that came from my brothers death, aside from organ donaton, is that it took the option away from me. I couldn't do that to my parents or brother after seeing what it does to everyone , including what it did to myself.

Please don't feel you have to defend what you went through this month. The doc screwed up, no doubt about that. What is hard to understand is how that 1 5mg capsle makes such a huge difference between relief and no relief. 75% of the meds you were taking were the same, the only change was the form of the med. Capsules do work a little faster and I understand about catching pain before it winds out of control.

IN the docs eyes, he sees a patient that is still getting 20 mgs of oxy, the form, tablet vs capsule or one manufacturer vs another, the dosage is the same. So it doesn't make sense to a doc that because you couldn't get the exact delivery system that worked so well could take you from a plan that was working to getting no relief. It just doesn't make sense. Each additional pill you took to make up for it is what created the problem at the end.

Many docs would have discharged you simply for running out early, yuo know this. In my world, I would put up with a month of 25% less pain relief that can be explained by what the FDA considers Bio equivelant. But docs don't always get it. Many docs and pharamcist and people are under the assumption that 20 mgs of oxy is 20 mgs of oxy and shouldn't make a big difference. But to risk the future of your pain management because you had a flair up in pain for a month, isn't somthing I can understand, nor something many docs could understand.

When they put this pump in I went from reasonable relief with too many side effects to misery. No post op pain meds, I started at 2.0 mgs per day and after 6 months I'm at 10mgs a day. I was extremely undermedicated and hurt like hell, but with each apt and as each week and month passed things got better. Even at 20% of the dose I needed, I didn't risk my furture by burning through BT meds and blaming the docs for starting too low. I knew what I was getting into, a whole new titration that goes even slower than oral meds.

I want to talk to you about the pump and how to let medtronics find you a good PM doc whether you want to go the pump route or not. I guess having suffered for so many years, I knew what I could take and I knew I wouldn't die. I didn't expect a heart attack, but #%#@ happens.

In a few months from now, when you are getting the relief you need, you will look back and say, I got through it, It was miserable, it was wrong the way things went down, But you will see the strength you do have to continue on and perservere. A bad month sucks, I have had plenty. But it's never an option to take matters into your own hands. You went through hell bud, and it didn't have to go like that. You made a bad choice to increase your dose and it caused you to run out early. That wasn't the docs fault.

continued

Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I know how hard it is to struggle to continue to work with intractable pain, I did it for almost 7 years. If you walked along side me you could here the hardware in my back crunching and squeaking. I've experienced withdrawal at almost every med change. Docs start low to be safe and hope the new med will be more efective and won't require as high a dose. When they switched me from meth to Kadian.

The first time I went from 120 of meth to 200 of kadian to start I ended up at 600 mgs a day after 6 weeks, But it was a horriable 6 weeks, but I didn't self medicate for fear of loosing what I did have. I could have written your post about how you feel when I was bedriden and going through withdrawal.

Withdrawal is pretty horriable, aside from the physical aspects, which is what most people think about when you talk about it,but the psychological part of withdrawal is overwelming. It prevents you from seeing past the day or the hour your struggling to get through. I know I'm fortunate and knew the Doc wasn't going to leave me like that, As bad as things have been, since seeing my present group of docs, I have always known there is light at the end of the tunnel as far as managing pain.

Restoring my life is a different story. I don't know what I can do as far as ever returning to work, we already lost the house, already went BK, we struggle monthly financially and qualify for no state assistance.

I can imagine people thinking , give me 400 or 600 mgs of morphine and I wouldn't complain either. But you know it doesn't work like that. Just as I may take 3 times the dose of many people here, I know people that take 3 times the dose I do and can still barely walk. I also know people that simply can't tolerate the dose needed to manage their pain and that's when you need a good PM doc that knows what's new and is willing to try whatever it takes and doesn't try the same methods on every patient.

Can you just refresh my memory on what's going on. Is it adhesions, did you have a fusion or disc surgery, how much of your pain is neuro and how much is mechanical or somatic.

I can tell you how to check out this hopital, I can talk about optons if you tell me the meds you have tried. Why are you on short acting meds and not LA meds., Is it cost which I understand or another reason. At what point did they give up and whose decision was it to stop working another method and go back to the standby that you knew worked, the SA oxy. Do you think each med you took was given a fair trial, or did the doc reach a dose and decide if this doesn't work your just won't respond to that drug. Which is rarely true. I've seen people blow through all the LA meds in 3 months, never giving a med more than a couple adjutmants and having some personal feelng about how much is too mcuh.

My feeling, when I was at 400mgs of Kadian and still miserable was I didn't care if it took 400 or 400 thousand. You reach a point where it's just a number. Cost is a factor, But 300 mgs of morphine is no safer than 3000 mgs if you aproach the dose safely. Your not damaging organs or your brain, if you can tolerate the side effects there is no ceiling on pure opiates. I can drive, I can cook and clean, do laundry,, get up and get my daughter off to school. I make her snack when she gets home and do the dishes more tmes than I would like, that's a killer for some reason. But I can't stay on my feet for more than an hour at at time, regardless of how much opiate they put in me.

I'm sorry about the compliance speach, It needs to be made every now and then, if not for your sake, but for others readng this. A betting man would say you wouldn't do this to yourself again. You would suck up a bad month and get it straight next time. Blame doesn't fix things, and docs don't call back. MY last surgery was 11 hours long. It started at 7 am and I woke up at 8pm. I know my surgeon ddn't return any calls or write any refills that day. It's the nature of medicine. Watching the clock waiting for a call just makes it worse.

The last really bad withdrawal, I passed the time by playing and completeing the entire Tomb raider on play station.. It was much better than layig in bed and wishing to die or that your doc calls you back in the next hour. I was still lieing in bed, but the hours passed and I got through it.

Sometimes you have to get outside of the loop of docs you in to determine why a modaility didn't work. If your doc wouldn't prescribe more than 80 mgs of oxyContin a day, it doesn't mean OxyC couldn't manage your pain, It just wasn't the right dose or interval, same with any med you may have tried and feel it wasn't given a fair shot.

Try to get back to me, I know the keyboard gets jumpy, you can't concentrate and the screen gets blurry. But there is an answer if you had something that worked well enough to allow you to work with the pain you have. You got stuck with a bad generic or a different verson of the meds you take. But none of this was worth what you went through and it didn't have to result with you in patient going through withdrawal. You made a bad decision and know the consequences of that decision now. I hope many people read this and avoid the same thing over having a bad month and increase in pain. Self medicating is never the answer, and you ended up with the most extreme consequences from doing so.

Now we just have to fix things, get a new plan, check out the clinic, talk about what you have tried and use our recources to find a new doc.
    Good luck and rest. I'll check back later.
    Dave

Old 01-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
    barteel

barteel HB User

Dave, how many times can I thank you? Well let's add one more. THANK YOU!

I agree with all that you said, and yes I think that I paid (and am still paying) the price for things that were both in and out of my control. As far as upping the dose of meds, just want to explain this before I get into the nature of my pain and such... I ended up back on the SA meds, simply for the fact that these are what has worked better than everything else. When I get a little more time later on today, I'll be sure to post the list of meds and non-med methods that I have tried, to once again assure you, that I have tried EVERYTHING that I am aware of that exists (except the pump, until now I haven't thought that it was for me, I still don't, but we can talk about that later).

The oxycodone that I was on, was something that we had been tinkering with over the past 3 or so months. We've found a dose and the combination of the 5mg caps and 15mg tabs (roxicodone) to make a 20mg dose. As far as self medicating, you are 100% correct, that is NEVER the way to go, and I assure you I'm paying for it now. Again, my case is a wierd one. During the past few months, the doctor and I have talked about upping the dose here and there, sometimes lowering it as well, at one point I was up to 50mg/dose, but that was overdoing it, so we lowered it, and eventually ended up back down to 20mg. The ONLY reason I even considered upping the meds myself, is because of something that he had said, and that we had done with no problem two months ago. We had talked about what happens if I have a bad day, and if I need some sort of breakthru meds, since I'm only on SA, what I should do. I was told by HIM, that it was A-OK to move up to as much as 30mg/dose, and that would be no problem. You have to remember, I was always under the impression, that if I were to decide that I wanted to go ahead and up my dose BACK up to 30mg/dose, that wouldn't be ANY problem, since we had already been there, and I brought it down myself, because at the time, it was overmedicating. I hope that makes sense... Maybe to put it another way, Start of the month, I get my script after going up there and going through hassle. I am not going to see him for another month, and until then, I'm on the 20 mg dose. Basically it was a matter of, if I needed it, take 30mg for BT, then let him know asap, and we would talk about possibly moving my dose back up. Does that make sense? It was sort of like a BT med plan, and it should have been as simple as making a call and letting doc know, and him giving me the "yay or nay" on it. We'd done something very similar many months ago when trying out MS Contin, and it turned out to be no problem. I guess what I'm trying to say was, we I made the choice to take a few extra mg here and there, I was under the impression that THAT was my BT med, and all I had to do was let him know and everything would be kosher. But as I said before, letting him know turned out to be the PROBLEM! Does that make sense? If not, I'll try again, let me know.

I still agree with you, upping it without him saying "yeah do that", was not the best idea, I just wanted you to know, that I didn't just up it and have him be clueless. I should have, however, realized that when he didn't call me back, I should have started hoarding right there and then. What's your opinion on this new info? Like you said, hindsight being 20/20, I feel like the whole thing was setting me up for trouble in one way or another. Oh, also it wasn't just 1 5mg that wasnt working, remember i was also supposed to get the 15mg tabs too.. because of his screw up, i JUST got the 5mg tabs. I was taking 4 of them to make 20mg, just like he said to, but THATS where they just werent working. I don't know why, I don't care why, they just didnt.

Ok, now onto my pain. 2 1/2 years ago, My lung collapsed due to a defect in my lung that made little bubbles form. The bubbles sometimes POP and make your lung just deflate like a balloon with a hole in it. They went in, did 3 different attempts to fix things, and had no luck. Finally my Thorasic Surgeon made the decision to do a drastic surgery called "A blebectomy with manual Pleurodesis." Basically they go in, snip out as many of the bubbles as they can find, staple them shut, and then (heres the bad part)... take a shredding device, use all their strength to rend the inside of your chest wall into hambuger meat! This huge wound forms scar tissue that adhears your lung to your chest wall, making sure that it physically cannot collapse. When they started shredding, they trashed my nerves, making my skin on my front left chest, left arm, back and side have its only feeling be pins-and-needles pain 100% of the time. That's the mild pain. The bad pain is INSIDE. Inside my chest, right where the staples that are still insde me are, is the worst of the pain. SHARP, burning, stinging, lightning... this is all in there. Theres no real rhyme or reason for when it comes and goes. Hot air makes it hurt, smoke, chemically laden air, strong smells, humidity, mold, STRESS, they all make it hurt worse to some degee.

NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS! I gave up on the surgeon. It was obvious that they were too scared to touch me to be able to offer me any real help. I'm too sick to deal with being toyed around with and to play the "we'll call you when we can" game. I called my GP, whom I haven't called in months because when I was looking for a PM doc, they offered me no help, and suggested I was a drug seeker. Well apparently, they've fired almost all of their old staff because patients were sick with the way they were being treated! Hooray! I called and got the nicest lady, the office manager. She was shocked about all the things that I have told her, she talked to the head doctor in the office right there and then.... they called a LOCAL PM Doc, that I didnt even know existed, and my GP is writing me a script for oxycodone CAPs 20mg/4hr!!!! The Doc got on the phone, said he was sorry to hear whats going on, and that If I can't get an appt. in time with the New PM doc, to just call him, and he'll refill the script for my pain meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABOUT DARN TIME FOR SOME GOOD NEWS!

He said to take off the duragesic, which I can't wait to do, and to hang on until they call back, at which time I can come pick up my script. As soon as I get these meds in me, mu butt is getting up to the hospital, so I can take care of my best friend, the one that just attempted suicide... that's where I should be, taking care of her, not here in agony.

Once I get into the new PM docs, I want a fresh start. I don't want to jump back through all 27 of the meds that I've tried, I want to find any other non-narcotic options that are out there for me, I want to run any tests we can to isolate the CAUSE of my pain. (in all the time that ive dealt with this, no doctor has EVER humored my request to find the CAUSE!!!)

Dave, you're right, blame doesn't fix things. I can honestly said, I'm not Furious, or even angry. I'm just disappointed that things didn't work out, and that other people will have to have the same thing happen to them as long as that old PM Doc continutes to do buisness IN THAT WAY. He COULD be a WONDERFUL doc, but until he just stays jumbled like he is... i dunno. I have my fair share of things to learn from all of this too. Like both of us have said before, when you're in w/d AND have all the stress of all thats goind on, it makes it hard to think about what you're going to do to get youre life in order in the next HOUR, let alone in the next year or more.

There's a lot more I wanted to say, but I'll post this, read over it, and post something more later on. Let me know what you think of what I said.

Thanks to all, you guys are GOOD STOCK!

~jonny fandango

Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey johnny, I just lost my post, eerrr, Anyway, please don't feel you have to justify things to me. I know and can see how this happened.

Docs orders eed to be documented, what you dsicused and what he writes down may be two very different things, and when the doc isn;t available to folow through you are the one that pays.

My group won''t order an an increase without seeint he whites of your eyes. Sounds hars but it saved me 1400 one month. When I was titrating Kadian, the doc made an increase, he also wrote the increase instruction and dated it on a script form. When I went to the pharmacy my insurance denied a 14090 refill, too soon. I hd the document from the doc showing what day he ordered the increase, I showed the pharamcist the math and how I started increasingthat day and I was spot on. They faxed it to myy insurance and they did aprove the fill. I would have gone withotut because i didn't have 1400 bucks to pay for kadian.

It is the docs job to ducument though. I saw my dcoc yesterday and we talked about all my options, they were written on a treatment plan summary,, I got a copy and the other went into my file which is looking like the novel, moby dick now. Verbal instructions get forgotten and if the doc isn't there or won't return calls it leaves you stuck, and you got stuck hard.

If you read my post to streetcar about he definition of Bio equivelant, in the article they polled docs and only 17% knew the true definition. Going from one generic to the other you could have as much as a 45% difference. If the previous med was on the plus 25% side and the new med is on the minus 20% side it can cause severe problems, I know from expereince with Makllinkrodt.

The generics are compared in Bio equivelence to the name brand drug, but nobody is looking at going from one generic to another. Plus or minus 20% doesn't sound bad if your comparing to the proprietary drug. But generic to generic can be as much as 45%.

I am intersted to know if you tried any blocks, or test blocks, I'm not big on blocks but when your choices are limited , we do what we have to do.

If you haven't read my suggestion of how to get a docs name from medtronics that does believe in agressive treatement of pain I will explain it in detail. It will work if your GP isn't willing to continue. I am glad things are looking up and there may be a solution just around the corner, It's worth sticking around to see. .

I am interested in how your trials of LA meds went and what ended them, I just see to many meds not given a fair chance and perhaps going back to a LA that wasn't given a fair shot may be worth it.

IF you need me to explain the medtronics plan I will be hapy to do it again.
    The good docs are out there, but docs that spent their class in pain management chanting the mantra, "opiates are evil and addicting and should only be used for cancer" can make it tough to get referred to a doc that other docs know use opiates. MY present doc has always been here, But my docs knew his methods and I didn't know squat at the time. I didn't get my first CPU untill 99, well after OxyC came out, I had never even heard of the stuff. But the net levels the playing field .

I know this post doesn't contain everythig the last post did but I look forward to heaing aout your LA trials and talking about the pump options if that's something to consider and research, the good thing is you get to do a trial before going ahead with the implant.

Anyway, I'll chack back later, hang in there and relax and breath easy, the nightmare seems to be over. No pun intended about the breathing.
    Take care, Dave

Old 01-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
    barteel

barteel HB User

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Jon........

I read through dave's posts and really, he says it all.....he is the best. Even if having to be harsh, I'd rather be talked to harshly by dave than just about anyone I've talked too.

That being said, I am so happy for you that there was some good news at the end of the posts. I have tried to stay with your story here and it has really had me worried for you. I am so relieved to know that tonight you might have some peace again in your life. I wish you the best and I hope this new doc turns out to be your light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel. Please keep us posted and know how much you have been in our thoughts.

I think it is all our worst nightmare.........being dumped by our pain management dr. Although I am not getting the same kind of meds as some of you are ( I take Norco 10 4/day as of now ) for me, that is a HUGE deal considering all I have been through. The thought of having any of my long sought after help, taken away from me is really too much to think about at times.

I hope your dinner plans were a success!
    Karen

Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
    barteel

barteel HB User

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #12
    barteel

barteel HB User

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
    barteel

barteel HB User

2 More days until I go to the new PM doc! Just filled out all the paperwork for her... I'm really getting excited! I need to call my Gp first thing tomorrow though, because they gave me 120 caps instead of the 150 that I needed to get by until the visit. I'll be out after tonight... so hopefully I can get in 1st thing tomorrow and pick up a little get-by script.

I really am hopeful about this new PM doc. She's a little closer than goign all the way to Hopkins, it's a private practice, not a massive PM+R center, so I'll be in an environment that's closer to the doctor. From what I've heard about her, she's young, been out of school for only a short time, and is up on all the NEWEST treatments. In the paperwork they sent to me, it listed things like TINS, duragesic, etc... the new stuff, not the ibuprofen and toradol that my surgeon offered.

Let's hope it goes well!!!!

~an excited jonny fandango

Old 01-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
    mommy2scl
    (female)

mommy2scl HB User

Didn't you just get this script on the 6th? You have already gone through 120 pills?? What am I missing here??

Mommy

Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
    barteel

barteel HB User

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Closed Thread