It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• white tongue + medications?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
    juulie

juulie HB User
    white tongue + medications?

I take Neurontin, Soma and oxycodone for severe TMJ. I have been taking the Soma for about 1 year, Neurontin for 9 months and oxycodone for about 4 months. I noticed in November that my tongue felt weird, so I opened up and noticied the back of my tongue was kind of white and felt "raw". I went to the PCP doctor and she said it was nothing to worry about and sent me on my way. She did not think it was oral thrush but gave me a prescription for Nystatin which is a solution to get rid of thrush but it did nothing. I wonder if the medications could be causing this .... I still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
    lkavaloff
    (female)

lkavaloff HB User
    Smile Re: white tongue + medications?

Hello,
    I'm not sure if any of those drug's can give you Thrush, but I do know that any antibotic's can. I have had Thrush many times. It can be a very painful thing to have and hard to get rid of too especially if you dont treat it right away it will spread like wild fire and it will cause you to have kind of like canker sore in your mouth and on your toungue. Nysatin is the 1st med that they will give you if you do have thrush and you should see that it will be getting better and stop growing more in about a week, but the rawness in your tongue and the sores well that can take a long time to heal even months. If the Nystain doesnt work after 14 days then you will or should ask your doc to give a a pill from I cant remember the name off hand, I will have to look that up for you. Funny thing is that I have Thrush right now...lol...I have R/A. Lupus, Sjogrens Syndrome, Celaic Disease and Von Willebrands disease. Most of the time the reason I get Thrush is cause I get a cold or a flu 1st and because my immune system is not very strong and acctacking itself for me my mouth is the 1st to get all wakced out and for yeast to start growing. Here a few tips for you...Eat yogurt lots and even put plain yougurt in your mouth all around the walls of your mouth and tongue but make sure that the yougurt has live cultures in it or else it will do you now good. Eat soft foods until it clears up, eat cold foods like ice cream, popsicles stuff like that. Make sure to put lip blam on your lips cause you may find that you get this lilttle cutts and sore on your lips from the yeast. Brush your teeth and tongue very gently cause you dont want to re-open up the sores in your mouth and tongue. Try getting some numbing stuff for your mouth so it doesnt burn and sting all the time and so you can also eat a bit more too. That's all I can think of right now...I will get the info on the other med to take if that Nystain doesnt work for you...I will post it later on today...Hang in there....Hey we can try and get through this togethier cause like I said I'm dealing with Thrush right now myself.

Lisa

Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
    lkavaloff
    (female)

lkavaloff HB User
    Smile Re: white tongue + medications?

Hello,
    I'm not sure if any of those drug's can give you Thrush, but I do know that any antibotic's can. I have had Thrush many times. It can be a very painful thing to have and hard to get rid of too especially if you dont treat it right away it will spread like wild fire and it will cause you to have kind of like canker sore in your mouth and on your toungue. Nysatin is the 1st med that they will give you if you do have thrush and you should see that it will be getting better and stop growing more in about a week, but the rawness in your tongue and the sores well that can take a long time to heal even months. If the Nystain doesnt work after 14 days then you will or should ask your doc to give a a pill from I cant remember the name off hand, I will have to look that up for you. Funny thing is that I have Thrush right now...lol...I have R/A. Lupus, Sjogrens Syndrome, Celaic Disease and Von Willebrands disease. Most of the time the reason I get Thrush is cause I get a cold or a flu 1st and because my immune system is not very strong and acctacking itself for me my mouth is the 1st to get all wakced out and for yeast to start growing. Here a few tips for you...Eat yogurt lots and even put plain yougurt in your mouth all around the walls of your mouth and tongue but make sure that the yougurt has live cultures in it or else it will do you now good. Eat soft foods until it clears up, eat cold foods like ice cream, popsicles stuff like that. Make sure to put lip blam on your lips cause you may find that you get this lilttle cutts and sore on your lips from the yeast. Brush your teeth and tongue very gently cause you dont want to re-open up the sores in your mouth and tongue. Try getting some numbing stuff for your mouth so it doesnt burn and sting all the time and so you can also eat a bit more too. That's all I can think of right now...I will get the info on the other med to take if that Nystain doesnt work for you...I will post it later on today...Hang in there....Hey we can try and get through this togethier cause like I said I'm dealing with Thrush right now myself.

Lisa

Old 01-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
    mommy2scl
    (female)

mommy2scl HB User
    Re: white tongue + medications?

Do you have a splint?? I have one that causes my tongue to be very sore alot of the time. I hate it. I too have thought it was the meds and it very well may be. But I suspect the culprit is the splint. Have the doc check it for rough edges. I have always suspected poor diet to cause sores on my tongue too. I have no proof of this, but there have been times even before TMJ, when I have not eaten so well, and have had these sore tongue issues. I know with TMJ, maintaining a well balance diet is difficult if not impossible as I suffer from it too. I would not let the doc blow it off again.

Mommy

Last edited by mommy2scl; 01-20-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
    juulie

juulie HB User
    Re: white tongue + medications?

Yes, I have had 4 different splints made. They are not helping and I quit wearing the newest one about a week ago and have decided to try not wearing one for awhile. It doesn't seem to be doing me any good. It was smooth and did not have any rough spots. My TMJ is both muscular and joint and I am seriously considering surgery since I've exhausted every option and can't seem to find another solution. I know the surgery is very risky.

I, too, have a poor diet and I'm sure I am deficient in vitamins/minerals. I am trying to find a good PCP and have an appt. with a new one next week. I can't stand doctors who refuse to do any tests. I think they are paid by insurance companies to avoid running labs, x-rays, etc. Ugh.

Closed Thread