It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Question about Oxycontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
    inpaininnv
    (female)

inpaininnv HB User
    Question Question about Oxycontin

I was just wondering if this is common or just me? Can oxy actually keep you awake? When I was on Methadone I was so tired in the mornings I would go back to sleep only after bieng up for like an hour. I have been getting up between 3-4 am since I started the oxy about 3 weeks ago. The wierd thing is is that I should be like dog tired because I usually sleep more than that. I am not even tired. If it weren't for my muscle relaxer I take at night I think I would probably have trouble falling asleep in the first place. Is this a side effect that will go away? Thanks

Carla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
    mommy2scl
    (female)

mommy2scl HB User
    Re: Question about Oxycontin

I started OxyC about 3 weeks ago and have found the same thing. But I have trouble falling asleep. I normally get tired around 10pm, now I am up at least until 11:30 and even then I lay in bed a good hour or more waiting to fall asleep. SOmetimes I will still be awake at 2am. Even when I do sleep, it is not a good deep sleep. But the funny thing is, I don't feel particularly tired the next day either, but I look tired. I think some of the problem is my dosing schedule. I take it 3 times daily, 7 am, 3pm and 11p. I don't know how to change it so I am not up in the middle of the night taking it though. I need to take it every 8 hours. Maybe it would be worth setting the alarm clock and getting up in the middle of the night and taking it.

Mommy

Old 01-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
    aestrella411
    (female)

aestrella411 HB User

I think different people react differently with each medication. Maybe in your situation, you have a tolerance built up for that type of medicine and therefore don't get all of the side effects. I wasn't tired at all when I was on oxycontin but when I was on methadone that would knock me out. The only side effect I had with the oxy was that it made me very nautious but did get rid of the pain. Now I'm just on vicodin because my stomach can handle that and I don't get nautious. But my question to you is does oxycontin help with your pain? If it does, I wouldn't be worried about if it makes me sick or tired, I'd just be concerned if it works. Oh, the other thing, is that maybe the dosage is too low in that it's not affecting you at all. But again, I don't know what kind of pain you have and if it's going away with the oxy...-Anita

Old 01-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
    inpaininnv
    (female)

inpaininnv HB User

Well thats just it...I just started 3 weeks ago and have gone from 10 mgs 2 times a day to 20 mgs every 8 hours. I am seeing the dr tommoro to adjust the dose. I had increased pain the first week due to withdrawls but now I can feel a little difference but not as much relief as I felt from the Methadone. It was the drs decision to switch meds. I was happy with the methadone but the dr thought I should have a steadier serum level. I take my meds at 12 noon and at 8pm and at 4 am. I have ddd at 3 levels, 2 torn/bulging discs and lumbar discogenic syndrome.

I too maybe thought the dose was maybe not enough to affect me and thats why I really have no side effects. ie. constipation, drowsiness, dry mouth, nasea.

I am not really sure what will happen tommoro with the dr. I am hopeing to adjust the dose. I do not want to switch again

Carla

Old 01-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
    Streetcar
    (male)

Streetcar HB User

Hey Carla,

I haven't been around much lately, way to busy. That is one of the most common side effects to oxycontin and the main reason druggies like to abuse oxycontin. I can only use oxycodone for a BT med because the LA med drove me nuts with anxiety.

Good luck!

Ken
    Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, IBS-C, Esophageal Spasms

Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Carla! I thought I was the only strange one who found that Oxycontin and even Oxycodone kept me awake. I don't think that I slept more than an hour at a time before waking up and sitting up and watching a bit of t.v. I'd fall back to sleep, but wake up at least 3 or 4 times before the morning. I don't know how I functioned like that. I'm doing much better on Methadone. I take 10 mg. in the a.m., 10 mg. at 2:00 p.m., and 20 mg. before bed. I have no idea if that is a low dose or a high dose. Maybe you can tell me or Shorline can give me some info on what an "average" dose of Methadone is for pain control. Anyway, it helps the pain far better than the other narcotics that I've been on and let's me get a pretty good nights' sleep. I'm curious to see what your doc said today. Kathy Mac

Old 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
    inpaininnv
    (female)

inpaininnv HB User

Well Kathy I must say that I kinda had a bad feeling about going in...as I wrote before I pray that she does not switch me again and throw me into withdrawls. Well guess what?? Thats exactly what the dr did. She did not want to up the Oxycontin (20 every 8 hs) so she said lets go back to the Methadone!!!! I was like what??

Well last month she took me off the methadone cold turkey and started me at 20 mgs a day of the oxycontin. I thought I was going to die from the withdawl symptoms. I was sweating, shaking, and vomiting.

Well she said I needed to tough it out again and stop the Oxycontin right now today. I am so upset I do not want to go through this again. She at least gave me some phenergen to help with the nausea.

She now has me at Methadone 10 mgs every 4 hours. so 60 mgs a day basically. I thought Methadone was a LA med and was dosed every 8 to 12 hours???? Is that right?

Anyhoo....Thats where I am at. Oh and she also said no bt meds. That the Methadone should be enough. Do poeple on Methadone take BT meds? I have the rest of the lortab she gave me for BT with the oxy. Will lortab 7.5 work with Methadone? Or is it too weak and a waste?

Well I really hope this transition goes smoother than the last med switch. I have heard of people taking alot higher doses of Methadone then 40 mgs a day but like shoreline always says we are all different and our pain is different so...who knows what a low and high dose is.

The thing I don/t get is I wanted to the dr to just higher the Methadone dose last visit but who knows what she was thinking!!

Carla

Old 01-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Carla...Dosing on Methadone is really what the person is on it for and also their tolerance. I'm a chronic pain patient and I'm on Social Security Disability, so I've been on pain meds (mostly LA) for five years. Needless to say I have to have much higher doses than someone just starting on LA meds. And by the way, no, Methadone is technically not a LA med. It does however, have a long half life, so when you've been on it awhile you build up the level in your bloodstream. Shoreline can explain this much better than I can. I am on Methadone and have been for for about two years now (and my doctor isn't giving me anything for BT pain either). Prior to that I was on Oxycontin and I got up to 160 MGs TID or 480 mgs per day. Now on the Methadone, I am on 180 mgs a day. I get 18 (10 mg.) tabs a day and I take them when I feel I need them. Most people don't get even close to that level when taking Meth. I just have a high tolerance and a fast metabolism.

I hope I have helped out a little and answered some of your questions. Any more, let me know.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
    lissamarie66
    (female)

lissamarie66 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Question about Oxycontin

is it ok to take vicodin for bt pain with oxy? still my scheduled dose of every 4 hours, my oxy dose is 10 mg every 12 hours, however i have taken it 8 hours apart still keeping with the 20 mg total for the day, another question is what if i take the full 20mg at the same time and no pm dose is that okay ( 2 pills) 1 just doesn't seem to work for the pain. my ortho is not a good pain md and am waiting for my 2nd opinion at the end of the month. i will need a third surgery and my current md still still does not like to have his patients be pain free.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

OMG, I was wondering why my sleep wasn't as good as it used to be. I started Oxycotin last week and am on 10mg x 3, split 6 hours apart during waking time.

I've started waking about 4am and tossing an turning somewhat and feeling quite a lot of pain. I'm allowed up to 75mg of Elavil before bed and had only been taking 50mg for the last few months, but with the onset of the desturbed sleep I've upped to 75mg again. It is helping and I trust this side effect will pass real fast, I thought it was a side effect of switching meds and the worsening pain; I thought most likely it was from coming off the Ultram, but reading these posts I guess it's a side effect of the Oxycotin and because of this I'm waking to feel pain I used to sleep nicely through!

I'm now taking Melatonin and a tablet that contains Valarian, hops, Camamile and Scullcap; I'll stick with this rountine for the short term to try and ease this sleeping issue and I'm sure I will then adjust to the Oxy and get my full nights sleep back, please God.....

Old 01-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Lissamarie: I wouldn't advise you to take you Oxycontin any other way than the doctor told you to. Oxy is suppose to be a 12 hour medication according to Purdue Pharma the maker, but very few people get 12 hours of coverage out of it. That's why most docs write it for TID. If you were to double up on your dose, you'd have nothing for the night dose. Believe me, you don't want to go 24 hours between doses. Withdrawals can be hell, even on a low dose like yours. You need to ask your doc for a dose increase.

As far as taking the Hydrocodone you have left. Yes, it's ok to take it with Oxy. You didn't mention what the dose is, but it should be ok, just be careful and take it a few hours apart from the Oxy. You don't want to OD.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #12
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Blasterboy: If I remember right, when I went on Oxycontin several years ago, I went through the same sleep problems. I was on Elavil at the time too, but that's when I got a script from my doc for Ambien. It works great and I wasn't waking early from pain. On the rare occasions I would wake up in the middle of the night, I would just take a Oxycodone I had for BT and go back to sleep. They now have Ambien CR, 12.5 mg, which is pretty good. I have a script for it and one for the regular Ambien, but haven't decided which one to go with. I did try a few of the CR from a sample my doctor gave me and they work pretty good.

I just thought I'd mention this to you and others too that are having sleep problems from Oxy.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Director - Do you have sleep problems with the methadone? I don't remember. It's been keeping me up really bad at night still... I'm exhausted during the day but by the time bedtime hits and all my doses are taken fro the day I'm WIDE awake. And even when I DO fall asleep it's like a half sleep. I've been on the methadone for OVER a month now. Do you think this is ever goign to go away?

Old 01-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Tina: I don't have problems sleeping on Methadone, but that's because of the meds I take at bedtime. I have had sleep problems ever since I have been a CP patient. Early on, my doctor put me on a night regimen of meds, so I could sleep through the night and not wake up and need to take a pain pill. I think at that time I was on Oxycontin and had Oxycodone IR, either 15 or 30 mg for BT pain.

You know I take 180 mg a day of Meth, so I normally take my last Methadone in the early evening. At bedtime, I take Elavil, 50 mg, Klonopin, 2 mg, and Ambien, 10 mg. With all that, I normally sleep the night until we get up at 5:00. I really don't know if I would have sleep problems at night or not. If I were you, I would give it some time and if it doesn't improve, ask you doctor about it. Ambien or Ambien CR are very good for sleep problems and they work fast. For me, it's usually about 15 minutes.

As usual, let me know if I can help.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #15
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Right now I have a prescription for Trazadone for sleep and also have a script for Lorazapam for anxiety that I take time to time to help me sleep. The trazadone has not been helping AT ALL anymore. I was taking 50mg and I called them and told them it wasn't helping a month or so ago (this was even before I was put on the methadone) and they told me to go ahead and up it to 100mg as needed at bedtime. Still, nothing. I'm tired when I first take it, but it wears off so I haven't even bothered with it the past couple of weeks. So I'm up til 2am and I know it is because of the methadone because I didn't have that problem EVERY night before, just here and there. I take my last methadone dose at around 5-6pm. I guess I am most likely going to need to get something different for sleep. The late nights have not even STARTED to get any better and I've been on the methadone for a month and a half now... I don't foresee it changing a whole lot at this point. I just hate having to add yet another new med to the mix..... Oh well. I need to sleep.

Closed Thread