It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Help w/methadone, oxycontin and celebrex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
    astin0801
    (male)

astin0801 HB User
    Question Help w/methadone, oxycontin and celebrex

I am a 24 yr old male who suffers from Avascular Necrosis in both hips. This is all because I have Sickle Cell Disease. Last year (6/04) I had a free-fibular bone graft surgery on my left hip to save it from further degeneration. The other hip is too far gone to be saved so I will need a full hip replacement in the future once my other hip is 100%. Obviously the pain is there and so is the medication tolerence.

My hematologist was the one prescribing my meds so I was first put on Percoset 5mg, then 7.5mg, and finally 10mg as needed which was every 4 hours, on the hour. All of this was over about a 11 month period of time. To try something new, they prescribed MS Contin 60mg then 100mg twice a day hoping that I would only need the percoset 3 times a day for breakthrough pain. The morphine wasn't working so I was still basically taking the full doses of percoset a day. Finally they arranged for me to see a pain management doctor. As of 2 days ago they changed everything to Celebrex 200mg twice a day, Oxycontin 20mg every 8 hours, and 1 or 2 Methadose 5mg every 6 hours. Since I was used to the "high" that percoset would give me for about an hour, I'm a little confused because I do feel somewhat different when just laying around but that actual "high" never happened. Isn't the "high" the reason why some people get addicted to this medicine? Am I wrong for assuming all this? I'm all confused now. The good thing is that the pain is pretty much controlled, but I still have slight pain an hour or so before I am to take the Methadone again. Also, I thought that the oxycontin would be taken as the percoset was and the methadone would be long lasting. Can someone please help me with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User
    Re: Help w/methadone, oxycontin and celebrex

[QUOTE=astin0801]I am a 24 yr old male who suffers from Avascular Necrosis in both hips. This is all because I have Sickle Cell Disease. Last year (6/04) I had a free-fibular bone graft surgery on my left hip to save it from further degeneration. The other hip is too far gone to be saved so I will need a full hip replacement in the future once my other hip is 100%. Obviously the pain is there and so is the medication tolerence.

Hi Astin,
    You must be familiar with pain, as I know Sickle Cell is very painful during it's crises and if you need a new hip joint the old one must do it's share of screaming at you.

>My hematologist was the one prescribing my meds so I was first put on Percoset 5mg, then 7.5mg, and finally 10mg as needed which was every 4 hours, on the hour. All of this was over about a 11 month period of time. To try something new, they prescribed MS Contin 60mg then 100mg twice a day hoping that I would only need the percoset 3 times a day for breakthrough pain. The morphine wasn't working so I was still basically taking the full doses of percoset a day. Finally they arranged for me to see a pain management doctor. As of 2 days ago they changed everything to Celebrex 200mg twice a day, Oxycontin 20mg every 8 hours, and 1 or 2 Methadose 5mg every 6 hours. Since I was used to the "high" that percoset would give me for about an hour, I'm a little confused because I do feel somewhat different when just laying around but that actual "high" never happened. Isn't the "high" the reason why some people get addicted to this medicine? Am I wrong for assuming all this? I'm all confused now. The good thing is that the pain is pretty much controlled, but I still have slight pain an hour or so before I am to take the Methadone again. Also, I thought that the oxycontin would be taken as the percoset was and the methadone would be long lasting. Can someone please help me with this? <

My thought is to take your pain meds and separate them into long acting and short acting. Your long acting pain meds are:

Oxycontin 20mgs every 8 hrs
    1 or 2 Methadose 5 mgs every 6 hrs, this med being the longest acting of your long actings.
    The MSContin was discontinued if I read right, as was the Perc.

Your short acting is the Celebrex 200mgs twice a day

First of all, even though the narcotic euphoria is what many people think is the pain med working correctly, it isn't. After a short time on most any narcotic the euphoria wears off. That doesn't mean you aren't getting pain relief; just means you feel less euphoric. You said the pain was "pretty much controlled and that is great.....you can't expect all of it to be gone, unfortunately. To have minor pain for a short time before a med dose is not unexpected and you should try and hang on....might mention to yr Dr. but it is not unreasonable. Percoset would cause euphoria but again, that it not an indicator of pain relief. The Oxycontin is related but as a long acting med probably would give little if any euphoria. Methadone has a very long half life and some will stay in your system long after you have taken it. You are on a fairly small dose........the Dr. may up you over the next couple of weeks if you bring up being just short on pain relief. Remember...look and feel for pain relief, not euphoria, much as it is a lovely feeling. Hope this helps.
    Sparkles

Old 02-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
    astin0801
    (male)

astin0801 HB User

Thank you for your quick response Sparkle. I just have one more question... when you say "seperate my long lasting from short lasting"... was that just a way of looking at the situation. Also, When I was prescribed all this, my Dr. said something like the methadone would boost the effects of the Oxy. Does that sound right and is that the reason why methadone stays in my system longer? Once again, thanks for you input.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

>
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astin0801
    Thank you for your quick response Sparkle. I just have one more question... when you say "seperate my long lasting from short lasting"... was that just a way of looking at the situation.<

Sparkles says...
    Hi Astin,
    lol Yes, this was my way of looking at your situation with my 52 yr. old brain and keeping things lined up properly. Hopefully it helped you look at yr meds with a bit less complication as well but you hit things on the nose...just a way of looking at things so I could keep better track. You got me!

> Also, When I was prescribed all this, my Dr. said something like the methadone would boost the effects of the Oxy. Does that sound right and is that the reason why methadone stays in my system longer? Once again, thanks for you input.
    <

look up...I did not do the quotes correctly, sorry...middle paragraph is for you.

Well, I suppose the meth can act as a booster, altho it is a very small dose, yes. The reason it stays with you longer is that it's chemical composition causes it to remain longer in yr body, I believe it is stored in the fatty tissues. How are things going? Are you feeling any better on your new regimen? I hope so...you are too young to have to suffer with these things so much. I question the Celebrex...you have heard the stuff in the paper, yes? I would never be caught dead with Celebrex on my med shelf but we must do what we must do. Just be an informed consumer.
    Sparkles

Last edited by SheSparkles; 02-25-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
    astin0801
    (male)

astin0801 HB User

LOL... sorry about that. I didn't mean to call your bluff. Don't worry about it, we all do little things to help figure things out. I find myself counting on my fingers sometimes.

Thanks for asking and everything is MUCH better now. I am too young to go through all this but I have been dealing with pain pretty much all of my life. I'm basically used to it. I would have a crisis more often when I was younger but after my teens, they were a lot less frequent.... only like 3 a year. I can also say that I've only been hospitalized about 5 times over a crisis so most of them were taken care of at home.

I really don't feel as much pain as I would if I were on my old meds. My daily schedule is off due to being on disability for so long so I don't usually go to bed until around 3 or 4 am... and I don't wake up until around 10. I can definitely say that I get a much better sleep than I used to. I am still unable to move around for a while when I wake up but like I said, it is better compared to before. I can sleep more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. As for the Celebrex, I was skeptical when I first heard it come out of their mouths (there were two doctors present). I was under the impression that it would cause problems if taken in high doses. Is 400mgs a day high? The Dr. also said something like pain is caused by certain receptors in the body and Celebrex would keep that from happening. Or something like that? What really surprised me is that the other Dr. said she still likes Vioxx and wishes she could still prescribe it! I think I'm going to stop taking it and let them know next week at my follow-up.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

> I find myself counting on my fingers sometimes.<

omg....you do that too? This is too much.........lol

>Thanks for asking and everything is MUCH better now. <

I am so happy for you...so very. I am familiar with your primary problem and it can be very nasty to the body...our blood vessels were not designed for sickles to try and run through, eh?
    Your schedule and mine sound like cousins. Pain is master of the body and I find myself prowling around at strange hours. And when I can sleep it is wonderful.

>As for the Celebrex, I was skeptical when I first heard it come out of their mouths (there were two doctors present). I was under the impression that it would cause problems if taken in high doses. Is 400mgs a day high? <

You know what? The Cox-2 Inhibitors make me very nervous and I keep a wide berth...no one is gonna talk me into taking any of them and if you don't want to either then don't. It's that simple. It's your life. I have a pacemaker and even though I have a very healthy heart otherwise, I just don't need added risks of a heart attack or a stroke. So Celebrex, Vioxx and the other one..is it Bextra? I stay away. My doctor has never pushed them. Do you want the risk? Especially with your other health problems? You call the shots for YOUR health.
    Keep in touch,
    Sparkles

Last edited by SheSparkles; 02-25-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
    astin0801
    (male)

astin0801 HB User

>no one is gonna talk me into taking any of them and if you don't want to either then don't. It's that simple. It's your life.<

You hit it right on the head. Plus, the Oxycontin and Methadone are doing their jobs so I really don't need anything extra. I'm done with the Celebrex. I truly appreciate all of your advice and help. It has made me feel so much better about this situation. I will definitely keep in touch as new things arise. I have to run now but I would definitely like to converse further with you later. Maybe I'll reach you as I'm "burning the midnight oil." Take care.

Astin0801

Old 02-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=astin0801\the Oxycontin and Methadone are doing their jobs so I really don't need anything extra

This is wonderful to hear...just wonderful. I love to know you are in less distress. I shall look for you are darkness descends.............
    Sparkles

Old 02-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=astin0801] As of 2 days ago they changed everything to Celebrex 200mg twice a day, Oxycontin 20mg every 8 hours, and 1 or 2 Methadose 5mg every 6 hours.

Hey Astin,
    What are you supposed to take for a rescue med? Celebrex? Blah...think again (they should). Basically you don't have a rescue/bt med do you? Something to hit you quick in a crisis. Think about this and maybe ask the Dr.s about MS immediate release or Dilaudid or SOMETHING. Save it for the really awful moments if you can get a script. Even percs would do. How is your stomach...any problems from too much junk med? Be careful but think about this...you may need something quick.
    S.

Closed Thread