It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User
    Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

Hey patch people,
    We are in good shape I think. Just found out that, in addition to the new generic patch put out by Mylan, Sandoz has their generic patch nearly identical to the Duragesic...the makers of Duragesic make this new one. Same reservoir, same printing...I just spoke to my reg. pharmacist and they have plenty and are doing a better business than the Mylan patch. The only thing is that we will no longer be able to get free bioclusive covers and they are about $50 the box of 50. I get my new patches the end of the week and will report but I am really glad to have options in the generic arena.
    Sparkles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
    cpapp31
    Inactive
    (female)

cpapp31 HB User
    Post Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

Hi She Sparkles,

I get my very first Rx for Duragesic on Friday. My doctor is starting me on 50mcg, and I am very very nervous. I have been on OxyC 20mg TID for over three years and I am scared I might have some withdrawal's while I adjust. I called my pharmacy (Walgreens) and they have the generic, but they did not specify if it was Mylan or Sandoz.

I also went to the pharmacy's website to check the prices Brand vs Generic and the generic is really not that much cheaper. I think it was $16.00 cheaper. That is very strange.

Well, I guess we will all know in a few days if they generic's will work. I will let everyone know as soon as I try them out.

Take care,
    Cpapp31

Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User
    Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

[QUOTE=cpapp31]Hi She Sparkles,

I get my very first Rx for Duragesic on Friday. My doctor is starting me on 50mcg, and I am very very nervous. I have been on OxyC 20mg TID for over three years and I am scared I might have some withdrawal's while I adjust. I called my pharmacy (Walgreens) and they have the generic, but they did not specify if it was Mylan or Sandoz.

I also went to the pharmacy's website to check the prices Brand vs Generic and the generic is really not that much cheaper. I think it was $16.00 cheaper. That is very strange.

Hi there,
    You should really find out who is distributing and manufacturing your patch.
    Reason being, Mylan's has been out longer I think and seems to have more over all complaints. And it is several hundred dollars cheaper than Duragesic. Sandoz, OTOH, is distributing a generic much closer to Duragesic the brand and that's why it may not be much cheaper. I am hoping to switch without so much as a ripple in my pain control, as are most of us. Don't be scared..I betcha you don't get so much as a withdrawal whisper. 50mcg might be a little on the light side for you but all you need to do is keep a journal for the first few weeks of generic patch use and if you are still in pain or feeling uncomfortable the Dr. will probably be happy to adjust the strength upward. The pain control is remarkable and so easy to live with. I would love to know how things go for you.
    Sparkles
    PS.got anything for a rescue med? Might ask the Dr. about this...

Last edited by SheSparkles; 03-01-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
    cpapp31
    Inactive
    (female)

cpapp31 HB User
    Angry Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

SheSparkles,

I just called Walgreen's, they are using the Mylan Generic Patch's. The price is 1 Box(5ea) $125.09, and the Brand is $141.09. I should stay away from the Mylan's. I will have to call my doctor and find out if I can change pharmacy's. If not, I will have to use the inferior generic.

Thank you so much for letting me know which one is better.
    Cpapp31

PS My doctor does NOT give out rescue meds. What he did for me since I was having so much pain with my dose, he would give me 100 20mg OxyC for the entire thirty days. This would allow me to take an extra dose when my pain was really bad. I was always running short on pills because I was taking an extra dose at night all the time so I could sleep. This is why he is changing meds for me. He thinks this will give me more pain relief than the OxyC. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Last edited by cpapp31; 03-01-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi all,
    I just called my pharmacy and they are carrying the Sandoz patch, so good news. Question though. I see my PM doc tomorrow and am going to speak to him (unless I see the PA, then I may have to wait) but I take Endocet for bt, and since I've changed insurance companies I now pay $45 for Endo instead of $10 when I had my previous insurance. Question, the Endo is proving not as good for my bt, I've been on it for awhile. Most of my bt pain is pain from FM not from my back, Sparkles? What is this Diluid (sp?) and is it pretty cheap as a bt med? I usually don't need my bt meds until I've had my patch on for nearly a full day, and I like many of you don't get the full relief of 72 hours, and it's better if I apply my new patch right before bed, so I wake with little pain in the morning. So, I want to ask my PM doc about a different bt med ( I am currently taking Endocet 10/325 4x daily, but I don't take it very much the first couple days after applying my patch), so what is the next best bt med? and what is better in price?

Thanks for any advice.
    tk

Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
    cpapp31
    Inactive
    (female)

cpapp31 HB User
    Question Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

Does anyone know what pharmacy's are Rx'ing the Sandoz Generic Patches? I have called everywhere, it seems everyone is using the Mylan Generic. I really don't want to waste money on the Mylan if it is inferior.

Thanks for your help,

Cpapp31

Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=tkgoodspirit] Question, the Endo is proving not as good for my bt, I've been on it for awhile. Most of my bt pain is pain from FM not from my back, Sparkles? What is this Diluid (sp?) and is it pretty cheap as a bt med? I usually don't need my bt meds until I've had my patch on for nearly a full day, and I like many of you don't get the full relief of 72 hours, and it's better if I apply my new patch right before bed, so I wake with little pain in the morning. So, I want to ask my PM doc about a different bt med ( I am currently taking Endocet 10/325 4x daily, but I don't take it very much the first couple days after applying my patch), so what is the next best bt med? and what is better in price?

Hi TK,
    Now this is just my opinion, k? THere is really no perfect-for-everyone rescue med. Dilaudid aka hydromorphone is actually a very inexpensive rescue med that many folks do not find effective as an oral med. As an IV in the ER it can't be beat MO, but as a PO med ..well as stated many don't prefer it...it just so happens to really work well for me once I got away from the Mallenkropt (sp) generic and picked up the Roxanne tabs...generic Dilaudid
    same co-pay but in my view a superior rescue. I would certainly ask yr Dr. about it...sometimes switching rescues or any narcotics for that matter can give a fresh pain relief. You may need to consider upping the patch strength or at least discusss that. We all can get tolerant to our narcotics. Once I got on 100mcg from the original 75mcg patch I have held there for almost 18 months. Hope this is food for thought.
    Sparkles
    PS You might speak to the pharmacy about another generic Percoset...just NOT MallenKropt. Might even find a lower co-pay. Your pharmacist can really help here ...sometimes even more than the Dr.
    Sparkles

Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=cpapp31]Does anyone know what pharmacy's are Rx'ing the Sandoz Generic Patches? I have called everywhere, it seems everyone is using the Mylan Generic. I really don't want to waste money on the Mylan if it is inferior.

Any good pharmacy should be more than happy to order the Sandoz product but you need to ask them to. Don't just ask what generic they are carrying...ask if they would order the Sandoz generic since they have been so very helpful to you in the past (kiss a** if you must)
    Sparkles

Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpapp31
    SheSparkles,

I just called Walgreen's, they are using the Mylan Generic Patch's. The price is 1 Box(5ea) $125.09, and the Brand is $141.09. I should stay away from the Mylan's. I will have to call my doctor and find out if I can change pharmacy's. If not, I will have to use the inferior generic.

PS My doctor does NOT give out rescue meds. What he did for me since I was having so much pain with my dose, he would give me 100 20mg OxyC for the entire thirty days. This would allow me to take an extra dose when my pain was really bad. I was always running short on pills because I was taking an extra dose at night all the time so I could sleep. This is why he is changing meds for me. He thinks this will give me more pain relief than the OxyC. I will keep you posted on what happens.
    Now remember.......it's my opinion about the better of the generic Fentanyls..
    and my pharmacist's as well. And since the company producing it has produced Duragesic, they know already exactly what they are doing and how they want it done. Generally, if it ain't fixed..........etc. Also, if you find yourself needing alot of rescue meds? Discuss upping the patch strength. Sometimes the Dr.s are happier to do this than increase the rescue meds ...it is the b/t i.e. rescue meds that most folks get hung up on and in trouble with.
    I have found the patch to much of the time truly cover my main/bad pain. The worst about the patch is the expense and sometimes nausea and sometimes localized skin reactions but those are workable. I think the patch is an amazing creation.
    Sparkles

Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
    GreatDaneLover
    (female)

GreatDaneLover HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

GENERIC PATCH NOT FOR ME:
    I had the opposite reaction to the availability of the generic patch: FEAR! that my insurance company would FORCE me to use it. My doctor has advised me on numerous occasions that "generic drugs are not as strong or consistent as brand name drugs - period - regardless of what ANY pharmacist says...." I am opioid tolerant and thus require MUCH MUCH more in the department of pain management than the average person. I tried one of the generic patches (25mcg) BEFORE being FORCED to (by "FORCED" to, I mean that the insurance company commonly won't pay for brand after generic becomes available). I have been using brand name Duragesic Fentanyl patches (dosages from 200mcg to 25mcg) since January. As some of you may have experienced, I have ups, downs, withdrawal periods, etc. while on the brand name. While on the generic patch (if you need to know which one, please email me and I'll dig out the unused box to let you know - I'm sorry I don't have it in front of me right now.), I experienced a marked increase in pain, depression, mood swings -- I thought I was going crazy! -- IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!!! I asked Walgreens if the company had released any statements/warnings about their patch. Walgreens advised me that they DID receive a notice from the company that made the generic patch and they advised that due to the way in which the "matrix" (the patch) dispensed the fentanyl (which is DIFFERENT from the way the brand name patch dispenses the fentanyl), "the patient MAY experience more pain, especially toward the end of the 72 hour period" prior to patch change. AH, YEAH!!! UM, would've been good to know BEFORE trying it! This was VERY true for me. But remember: WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Some of us are more sensitive than others. Some are opioid-tolerant; others are not... Everybody is different. This was MY reaction. Just wanted to share my experience with the generic patch in the event anybody else had similar experiences while using it, they wouldn't think they were going crazy. I switched back to the BRAND NAME. Within one to two DURAGESIC patch changes, I felt "normal" again.

TROUBLE GETTING OFF OR REDUCING DOSAGE?
    Furthermore, I have discussed, in great length, the difficulty in reducing dosage. As previously mentioned, I was on 200mcg at two different times since Jan 2003. Going from 200 to 175 to 150, etc. was A NIGHTMARE -- withdrawal to the max! Looking for a solution, I called Duragesic. I questioned the possibility of creating a 10mcg patch (or if something was in the works) -- something smaller than 25mcg. For those of us that are extremely sensitive and have a VERY difficult time with the WITHDRAWAL symptoms presented by a 25mcg reduction, I felt that this would be extremely helpful. They said that they had received many similar requests, but nothing to date has been done. I also "spoke" with a person on the harvard website regarding my dilemma. He (having had this inquiry many times before) suggested that I cover a portion of the patch: 1/12 (yes, 12!!!) at a time. He agreed that a 25mcg reduction is awfully tormenting. My understanding of the procedure is to cut a piece of paper the size of the patch and then cut THAT piece of paper into 12 equal-size strips. First cover a portion of the patch using 1 (1/12) strip; then 2, etc... until the patch is completely covered. Have I tried this - No. After my last reduction from 50 to 25mcg, I decided to "take a break" for awhile. But I do intend to try it -- someday. Lastly, I asked a pharmacist for his recommendation with regard to reducing the fentanyl dosage. He said to increase the frequency of patch changes: that is, instead of changing your patch every 72 hours, change it every 48. Of course, you would need to discuss this with your doctor and get a modified prescription because you would be using more patches - duh. I don't understand the theory behind THAT recommendation nor have I tried it either. Once again, just sharing some info I would be interested to hear from anyone that shares the same difficulty in reducing patch strength AND has tried one of the above mentioned methods OR has another suggestion that has been successful for them.

My experience in reducing patch strength has been overall a success. My body rejected the idea of less fentanyl (as it would for any narcotic!) but within two weeks I would be adjusted AND have no increase in pain!!! During those extremely difficult times, I would use ACTIQ to ease the pain (the pain of withdrawal -- not necessarily physical pain). I cannot wait to be free from the fentanyl patch. Had I known THEN what I know NOW about the consistency of this protocol alone, I would have NEVER agreed to this form of pain management. It doesn't stay on; it doesn't consistently dispense the medication; I get a rash from the patches adhesive; the withdrawal during dose reduction is frightening -- just to list a few.

JUST MY OPINION.....for whatever it's worth
    Wishing you all a pain-free day!

Sincerely,
    GreatDaneLover

Old 10-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
    Drewtn
    (female)

Drewtn HB User

Just FYI this post is over 6 months old.

They do now have a 12.5ug patch to help to reduce withdrawal.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
    GreatDaneLover
    (female)

GreatDaneLover HB User
    Smile Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

Drewth: You made my day! I expected Duragesic to notify me when/if they ever decided to produce a lower dose -- only because they said they would -- silly me. Thanks Again for the info. BTW, I realize this was an old thread. I wasn't aware of this site until I did a search on Bioclusives. Is there a problem or policy responding to old threads? Anyway, I'm so glad I found it. ...calling my doc this morning for a new prescription! Thank you soooooooo much for taking the time to respond!!! God Bless You! I am so pumped!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
    Drewtn
    (female)

Drewtn HB User

Glad to let you know about the smaller dose.

There is no reason you can't reply to an old post. I just wanted you to know as to why people may not respond to it. That is all. I am glad you brought it up. Take care and good luck!

Drew

Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
    GreatDaneLover
    (female)

GreatDaneLover HB User
    Smile Re: Two new generic Fentanyl patches now available!!!

Drew: Thanks Again. I'm wondering when Duragesic came out with the 12.5.... So far, I found some postings time stamped June, 2005 stating that they "will be" coming out with it soon. Just curious. Wishing you a great day!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #15
    GreatDaneLover
    (female)

GreatDaneLover HB User

BTW, [see previous post] the generic patch I had so many problems with was by Mylan.

Closed Thread