It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Norco, Lortab & Vicodin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User
    Norco, Lortab & Vicodin

What is the difference in these 3 drugs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Norco, Lortab & Vicodin

the only real difference between all of these meds is the amount of tylenol they contain.they are all hydro preps with norco containing 10/325,lortab,10/500,and regular vicodin having 5/500.The larger #s being the amount of the tylenol they all contain.Marcia

Old 03-11-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Funky, They are all combinations of hydrocodone and tylenol, the olny diffference is the amount of tylenol in each tabletNoroc has the least, then Lortab and then Vicodin, they all come in the ssmae 3 strengths of hydro but have different amounts of apap "Tylenol"
    Norco comes in 10/325, 7.5/325 5/325
    Lortab comes in 10/650, 7.5/500 and 5/500
    Vicodin comes in 10/660, 7.5/750 and 5/500
    The first number is the amount of hydrocodon and the second number is the amount of Tylenol "apap"
    selecting each med has to do with the amount of tyelenol in each pill
    ou should never exced 1000mgs of tylenol per dose or 4000mgs of tylenol per day. If you use these meds on a regular basis, you should cut thosemax amount of apap in half and not exceed 2000 mgs per day.
    For example, you could take 2-3 Norco 10/325 without exceeding the recomended dose of apap, with Vicodin 10/660 or vicodin 7.5/750, you can only take one pill every 4 hours or you would be exceeding the dose limit on the apap. 2 Vicodin ES would be a single dose of 1500 mgs of apap, too much. but you could take two 7.5/500 Lortab or 2-3 7.5 Norco at one time without exceding the safe single dose limit on apap.
    Norco allows the highest dose of hydrcodone because it only has 325 of apap in each pill in every strength.
    But they are all variations of hydro and different amounts of apap and fortunately all are available in generic form.
    If you go the FDA orange book, you can look up every formulation of hydrocodone simply by going to this page and typeng in hydrocodone and clicking querry.
    [url]http://www.fda.gov/cder/ob/docs/queryai.htm[/url]
    Cut and paste the addy into your browser and then save it for future reference.
    It will show you every available form of Hydro, you can do the same with any med to find available dose strength. It will show both the name brand and the generics available and who makes them.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 03-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

Dave is exactly correct. I notice in my profession though, people refer to these drugs as if they are all different. I tend to relate to them as Coke, Pepsi, and Mt. Dew. They all have caffeine in them. Caffeine is caffeine. As is Hydrocodone is Hydrocodone. Sometimes you get different drug manuafacuters that makes these and label them with a different name. Like Dave said, I notice that people who are required to take more of the Hydrocodone, wil switch to Norco were you are only dealing with 325 mg APAP (Tylenol). In this case you can increse your doasage without increasing the amount of APAP in one setting.

Good Luck

Old 03-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User

Thanks so much for the replies! I was a little concerned about the amount of acetaminophen I was taking so I may ask my doctor to switch me to Norco's.

Closed Thread