It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Actiq transmucosal lollipops and tooth problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User
    Actiq transmucosal lollipops and tooth problems

I have begun to hear murmurings about this problem.......there is sugar in the Actiq pop and reports are beginning to surface regarding teeth falling out and severe decay. If you are looking into asking yr. Dr. about this very effective rescue pain med. you might want to ask about the tooth situation.
    It almost sounds to me like the manufacturers never thought a cancer survivor might really wish to look his /her best, but dang..........Any Actiq users here?
    SS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
    Streetcar
    (male)

Streetcar HB User
    Re: Actiq transmucosal lollipops and tooth problems

Hey S/S,

Actitq contains 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per loli (from the package insert). Less than a normal lolipop. Good dental hygiene should take of the problem. If someone was really concerned about it, they rinse their mouth out a short while after using the med. It hasn't been a problem for me, yet?

Ken
    Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, IBS-C, Esophageal Spasms

Old 03-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Streetcar
    Hey S/S,

Actitq contains 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per loli (from the package insert). Less than a normal lolipop. Good dental hygiene should take of the problem. If someone was really concerned about it, they rinse their mouth out a short while after using the med. It hasn't been a problem for me, yet?
    You know, I didn't feel it should be a problem either but this is not the first I have heard of the dental problems. So, I guess, ask the Doc. if someone is concerned.
    SS

Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
    Streetcar
    (male)

Streetcar HB User

Hey S/S,

The package insert says that if your concerned to ask your Dentist.

Ken
    Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, IBS-C, Esophageal Spasms

Old 03-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Streetcar
    Hey S/S,

The package insert says that if your concerned to ask your Dentist.
    I understand that...it's just that the prescribing Dr. is probably a medical Dr. Would not hurt to ask both.
    SS

Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
    shakin-da-pain
    (female)

shakin-da-pain HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SheSparkles
    I have begun to hear murmurings about this problem.......there is sugar in the Actiq pop and reports are beginning to surface regarding teeth falling out and severe decay. If you are looking into asking yr. Dr. about this very effective rescue pain med. you might want to ask about the tooth situation.
    It almost sounds to me like the manufacturers never thought a cancer survivor might really wish to look his /her best, but dang..........Any Actiq users here?
    SS
    SS, I don't normally post things on the board,but Actiq although is a wonderful medication it does have sugar. My p/m Dr. informed me that Jenssen/Cephalon ( The mfg Co.) is coming out with a sugar free pop soon. Which will be great... But like others have said the good ole tooth brush works wonders and so does those new, "put it on your finger brush." But I tell you I know a lot of people that are on the methadone and there teeth are rotten and falling out over time and it don't matter if you brush or not. I myself won't take meth No way no matter how much pain I'm in. I'll stick to my pops and hopefully soon they will come up with something new that takes pain away from nerves wouldn't that be great? any way just thought I would put my point in. Everyone have a great day...
    Shakin- Da- Pain

Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
    tkgoodspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Shakin,
    Hi! Nice to meet you.

I was wondering about what you said regarding methadone and your teeth. I am now on methadone, cuz it was cheaper. I've had problems with my teeth before the methadone, from clenching. I have a lot of cracks, so now I use a bite guard. Would you mind telling me why methadone is bad for your teeth?

Thanks
    tk

Old 04-07-2005, 03:25 AM   #8
    shakin-da-pain
    (female)

shakin-da-pain HB User

undefined
    Sorry about the laps in responce there. Hope this piece helps you a little, and helps you understand tooth decay and methadone, here it goes..... Methadone has traditionally come as a syrup-based mixture. Prolonged contact with this sugary liquid has been associated with tooth decay and dental caries, especially towards the front of the mouth. Methadone users on methadone mixture report problematic side effects such as dental problems. Ways that methadone mixture can contribute to decay: The high sugar content causes the growth of plaque
    The acidic nature of the liquid can cause direct corrosion of the enamel
    Methadone inhibits saliva production and saliva is one of the body's natural defences against plaque. However there are other possible causes for dental problems in methadone users, such as: Pre-existing dental problems
    High sugar diet Poor oral hygiene. Also Methadone is an analgesic which can mask toothache Dentists recommend using aqueous-based, sugar-free methadone, especially in long-term methadone treatment. However, more importantly they advise informing users of methadone's potential to harm their teeth and the importance of: Low sugar diet Good dental hygiene
    Regular check-ups Brushing their teeth Rinsing the mouth immediately after taking methadone Taking methadone mixture through a straw.
    Not that I'm not saying you resemble any of these examples but these are great examples to know... Tk I hope this helped you some and others if they have read this. Good luck with everything I know some people have to do what they have to do because the cost of things are very high.It was nice meeting you also and it was nice chatting with you . Take care
    Shakin-Da-Pain

Old 04-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
    Seashore
    (female)

Seashore HB User
    Talking Re: Actiq transmucosal lollipops and tooth problems

This is so much fun! (I'm new) Next I'm going to bed. (I'm tired)

I think that's why, regarding Actiq, they tell you to try to finish it within 15 minutes. They also say not to fall asleep with it in your mouth. I'm sure that is a safety issue but I'm pretty sure it's a tooth thing too. i fell asleep with one once and it was just still plopped up and resting there against my teeth when I woke up hours later.

It's like we're told not to let a baby go to sleep with a bottle of milk because of tooth issues. That actually is so true. My son's baby teeth looked bad --he cracked the front ones on a hard floor--and I think they cracked as easily as they did and got brown spots, bec he had gone to sleep with a bottle of milk pretty often a few years before. He's 33 now--there was so much we didn't know back then!--and his permanent teeth are great. But there was something to the baby bottle of milk and falling asleep... : ) I'm really enjoying having people to reach out to. Thank you all for being there! Seashore

Old 12-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
    catman1313

catman1313 HB User

I have been taking Actiq for about 4 years now. I take 800mcg 3 times aday.
    I have not had any tooth problems yet. I do brush 2-3 times aday and try and take care of my teeth.

Closed Thread