It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• post neck surgery pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
    KAYSTAR
    (female)

KAYSTAR HB User
    post neck surgery pain

I have had neck surgery a year ago...replace two disks, fusion, plate and 6 screws...the whole bit. I am STILL in pain. NOT the pain I had before surgery, but in my shoulders and muscles around my neck. Please let me know if I will ever get better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Cool Re: post neck surgery pain

As you have no doubt figured out if you've been reading these boards, you may not just 'get over' your neck pain. I had my fusion 7 years ago, and am now a chronic pain patient. The good news is that once you find a doctor willing to work with you, (internist, family prac. or pain managment doctor) there are many many medications that can give you back your quality of life. I also feel strongly that most pain patients should explore the possibility of taking an anti-depressant, also, because, hey, its depressing to be in our situation, and also because many of the drugs needed to control pain can cause depression. Try not to get discouraged if you cant get relief the first few times you try a new doctor or drug, For most of us it takes a while to find the regimen that works for us. Thank God for these boards so we know we dont have to suffer alone, there are many people in this predicament, and together we can give eachother strength and courage. Be true to yourself, only you know how your pain is, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a doctor willing and able to work with you. Ask for a referal to a pain clinic if the regular doctor you see seems skittish about long term pain managment. Hang in there, I will pray for you!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
    MsAlligirl
    (female)

MsAlligirl HB User
    Re: post neck surgery pain

I had my disc removed and fused on March 15th. Thought everything went great. I went back to work after 2 weeks.....real light duty. It was a money issue...no choice. But now Im back to square one. It's killing me again...and where it was just my left side that hurt before the surgery...now I have my right side throbbing as well. Not sure what to do. I go back to the Dr next week, but have a feeling he will say oh thats normal...come back in 2 months. I don't deal well at all with pain and I know he will noy refill my pain killers. Any ideals????

Old 04-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
    987mom
    (female)

987mom HB User

Sounds like all of us are in the same situation...too bad none of our docs bothered to share this little tidbit with us. I am 8 weeks out of ACDF C5-6 and have had tormenting left shoulder pain this past week. My surgeon says it is just the continuation of the nerve root that will need time to settle down. He put me on a steroid dose pack to help settle it. I too went back to work 2 weeks after surgery. The reason I consented to surgery in the first place was to get off of pain meds. I am a RN administrator at a surgery center and cannot take pain meds whilst at work. So last week was such an upset to me...I waited until the end of my day to get pain relief. Once the discomfort gets that bad, it is a bear to control.

I have been looking into this and the most advice I get is...."give it time". So, I, like you will hang in there. Best of luck to all of you.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=987mom]I am a RN administrator at a surgery center and cannot take pain meds whilst at work. <

I have often wondered about this...are there drug tests now for hospital staff?? It only makes sense seeing as how they make up such a large part of the impaired working population. Don't get me wrong...I am a Dr.s daughter and love those in the medical profession but feel (have felt for a long time) it was time to wake up and demand sobriety within the ranks.
    SS

Old 04-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
    MsAlligirl
    (female)

MsAlligirl HB User

Time.....it is just one big blob when your in pain! Never ending, ya know?! Coping is so very hard to do when everyone thinks your just being a whimp or looking for attention. If they only understood the type of pain it is and that its continual. Guess all we can do is hope and pray it will one day get better......Take Care

Old 04-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
    et318
    (male)

et318 HB User

I know that this is of little consolation to anyone still experiencing neck pain after fusion, however, the outcomes of cervical fusion are vastly improved over lumbar surgery. Continuing neck pain after cervical fusion can be addressed in a number of ways. Physical Therapy to train and adjust the cervical musculature and shoulder girdle due to the new posture developed from the fusion. This should last more than the standard 10 to 12 visits.
    During this period, appropriate management with NSAIDS, analgesics and/or muscle relaxants can be used if needed.

If pain persists, then one could be concerned about post-operative nerve root irritation or facet joint dysfunction. These are conditions that can be investigated and ruled out/in by a competent PM. Treatment can vary substantially from injections to surgical revision.

I wish you all well. Be sure to be specific when discussing residual or new post-operative pain. Some poeple have just told their surgeon my neck still hurts and in truth the pain that they are experiencing is very or somewhat different. This is important information as it can offer immediate clues into the source of the pain.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
    987mom
    (female)

987mom HB User

Getting back to She Sparkles....Yes, you had a great point. So many of us have spent years helping lift, move, and transfer patients that now, WE ARE THE ONES WITH PAIN. I am a very by-the-book "old fashioned" nurse that respects the rules, so no, I don't use narcotics at work. They still make me very groggy and I know my judgement would be impaired in making important decisions. I do know MANY people that have chronic pain that state they take meds around the clock to mask their discomfort. They state that the drugs don't make them sleepy anymore and they feel that their judgement is fine.

In hospitals and surgery centers across the nation, we have policies that allow administrators to randomly test employees and also to demand testing if their behavior seems inappropriate. Also, if an incident occurs in which a patient was harmed or nearly harmed, it is considered an appropriate time to ask an employee to give a urine sample.

On the whole, drug abuse in the workplace is a problem that we all must be aware of.

Hope this information was helpful.

Dianne

Closed Thread