It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections for pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
    polarized13 HB User
    Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections for pain

Hi All,

I have been referred to have a caudal epidural steroid injection for my chronic pain due to severe endometreosis. Has anyone here had that procedure done, and can you tell me anything about it?

thanks,

heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
    geifer
    (female)

geifer HB User
    Re: Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections for pain

I had a series of them done this past fall. I go to a pain management clinic at a hospital. The start a main line with IV they put you under xray so the can get to the right spot, they give you a little something to relax you and the doctor injects it into your spine at the right spot. The first on I did have some leg pain and it moved into my back but after a minute it went away. But I had no trouble with any other they did 3 one week apart. Now they didn't help me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help you. I also have a morphine pump to help control other pain give it a try I hope it works for you take care geifer

Old 04-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
    STM
    (male)

STM HB User

I can tell you all about it. I spent the past two years doing x-ray for pain cases at every OP surgery center in Southern California. A Caudal esi is a type of lumbar esi. The difference is the approach. It's from the coccyx (tailbone) instead of from the lumbar area. The needle is slid into a small opening that is right at the end of the tailbone. Done properly and if your particular anatomy allows it, the spread of the x-ray contrast and the steroid through-out the sacrum and lower lumbar area is pretty good. Tell em' to numb it up, really, really good.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

polarized13 HB User

So it's gonna really hurt, right? I'm feeling frustrated because they want me to have that, and physical therapy, behavioral therapy, and they want me to get by with only 4 codeine per day. I have a five year old daughter, and she's going to be out of school soon, and I have to pay a sitter to watch her for all these apts they want me to go to, (on top of dealing with other health issues and apts.) and I have to pay a co-pay every time, and drive about 30 miles each time.

Should I really have to go through all this time and 3 expense because they tell me to? I just want some relief from my pain. Why can't they just give me some vicodin and save everyone a whole bunch of time and money?

I am terrified of having this injection. ( I had a bad experience with an intrathecal morphene injection once.) Can I just tell them I cant afford to jump through all these hoops like they want?

I suffer from bipolar disorder, too. I think maybe that's why they don't want to give me more narcotics. But I have been stable for a long time, I stay on my meds, and I'm a responsible person. They can see from looking at my chart that I am not just a drug seeker.

I'm so stressed about this...thanks for listening. Any advice would be appreciated.

~heather

Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
    STM
    (male)

STM HB User

I've been in on many, many caudals. If you're numbed up enough its fine. Do you have a bad back or is this injection for endometriosis pain? Usually a caudal is done when the anatomy does not allow a regular lumbar esi. I can speak with some authority on these procedures. Not only have I been involved on the professional end but have been on the patient end of a bad neck and been the recipient of cervical esi's. The cervicals did not cure my shoulder and arm pain. I currently take methadone daily. Thankfully a low dose takes care of my pain. Different docs have different levels of skill. Caudal's are basically very simple. As I said, make sure thay numb it up, really good. Maybe you can be put out during the procedure. I've seen that done many times.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

polarized13 HB User

Thanks for responding to my question about the caudal. I have to be able to drive myself to and from my appointment, so I dont think that general anesthesia is going to be an option for me. My only condition this injection is being prescibed for is endometreosis.

I know it is probably silly for me to have this irrational fear of the shot. I will go and see for myself how it is. I really hope that this works for me, since I have ehausted so many other options to deal with my pain.

I just feel a little resentful that I don't seem to have much say in my treatment plan. For example, I wanted to try accupunture, and the idea was nixed without reason, other than the doctor didn't want to use that method. His specialty is the caudal, and so he wanted me to do it. He went on and on about how good he is at it, and that I shouldnt feel scared. Also, I'm concerned that all these pain clinic apts are a hardship on me financially, but no one really seems to care about that.

I understand that the reason that things are so strict and regulated. And that they are trying to keep me from becomming dependent on something unnecessarily. I also understand that people have abused the system, and therefore we are no longer given as much involvement in our choice for care.

I was brought up to be polite, and not question authority, and I don't want to seem difficult, but I just feel so helpless, and as though my needs are not being heard.

sincerely,

heather

Old 04-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
    STM
    (male)

STM HB User

I'm going this weekend to try acupuncture. If you think acupuncture has a chance of working for you, go do it. I've heard others say acupuncture works well. When your doctor has severe pain that's when it will be alright to try other methods.

Last edited by STM; 04-06-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

polarized13 HB User

Hi,

Just an update. The caudal injection was not that bad. I have had a horrible head-ache since I got home from the clinic. I dont know if it was caused by the injection or not. I found out that the steroids may cause some mood swings. I have really been struggling with my mood disorder anyway.

If this doesn't work, isn't there anything else they can do for me? This particular clinic doesn't just give out prescriptions for anything very strong. I will just hang in there with my pain and heating pad. They said I won't feel any relief, if at all, for a few days.

I can do acupuncture only if I find someone on my own, and pay cash. I would like to hear about your experience after you have it done, and how you got the refferal to the person who is doing it.

thanks

Closed Thread