It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Dave, Yakima Fruit Paste Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User
    Dave, Yakima Fruit Paste Question

How many cups does this recipe make?
    About how long does a batch last?

I can't wait to try it out. I've tried eating more fiber and drinking more water and finally had to start taking something over the counter.
    This sounds sooo much better and much easier!
    And it sounds like it might actually taste good.

Thanks again for saving us!~Mush

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Dave, Yakima Fruit Paste Question

I filled 3 off those Glad snap lock containers, they probably hold 1 qt each but weigh about 2 pounds when full.LOL. This will probably last for 4-6 months and won't go bad due to all the preservatives already in dried fruit. It cost me about 25-30 bucks to makes but you can spend $20 on a bottle of senekot another 10 of softeners and more on prescription stuff so it is very cost effective and works without the misery of harsh stimulants.

Blending it down into a smooth paste is the hard part, I chopped all the fruit in a processor before I even started so I would be ahead of the game.The fruit I bought came in 12oz bags so I added the other 12 oz of plums it doesn't call, that added little seeds, not that it's a problem but changes the look of the stuff a little. A good food processor is important to get it as smoth as possible.

It sounds expensive to make but when you look at what you spend on OTC and script it's well worth it.The sena tea cost me about 8 bucks, I couldn't find laves so used 60 bags to get the 4oz of tea leaves, Some pretty potent tea is the base and the same ingredient in Sennakot S.
    Be careful licking your fingers as you make it, It's very sticky and tasty but those little dabs add up.

Good luck, Dave

Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
    Sue5964
    (female)

Sue5964 HB User

Hi Dave-

I am pretty new to the Board- trying to find help for my mother's chronic back pain and nartocic induced constipation.

I made the fruit paste but I can't find any where the amount she should start with. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sue

Old 06-21-2005, 05:11 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Dose, 1-2 tablespoons

* If the fruit paste is not working (you are not having bowel movements) then you need to increase the amount of fruit paste you are taking.

* If the fruit paste makes you have very loose stools then you need to cut down on the amount of fruit paste you are taking. Perhaps even taking it every other day in some cases.

Those were from the directions, but I think 2 tablespoons would probably restore life to a dead volcano.
    I use enough to spread on 1-2 saltine crackers like peanut butter, or you can use 1-2 nacho chips with about 1 teaspoon on each. Enough to cover a piece of toast like jelly is about a tablespoon, and plenty of stuff, If that isn't enough, increae a little more the next day. Try a piece of toast and a cracker with paste on it. You don't have to eat it all at one sitting. A couple crackers with fruit paste throughout the day will work too. I haven't tried drinking it but it is pretty tasty with something salty like a cracker. 1-2 saltines a day should do the trick , but you can always use more, spread it on thicker, etc. I also still eat a bowel of raisen bran each day for the bulk fiber and drink plenty of water now that it's summer. I still haven't used an OTC or script product which amazes me, I was sure I was going to die like Elvis.

Everything fits on a Ritz, 2-3 Ritz crackers with a nice layer of paste is an easy way to get a tablespoon or more down, Put it on thick like a kid that loves peanut butter. In fact it's good with peanut butter if you want a topper or a PBJ sandwhich on toast, It's a good replacement for jelly.
    I hope you find that magic amount that eases your moms discomfort. If it's not working she just needs more, If you can't get it to start working she may have an impaction or may need to use an OTC stim to pull the plug, but once moving she'll be able to put the OTC stims away. Impaction is a serrious health problem and shouldn't be ignoreed. Hopefully this will keep her out of the ER where thay have to do tha nasty and manually unimpact her

Take care, Dave

Getting things started is the hard part, but once moving you can cut back and find the optimal dose. So if she's still not moving start at the high end and slowly cut back as things start moving again. The tea idea may be good because of the cafeine and hot water also helps with faster results, I still drink lots of coffee each day which I'm sure helps things too.

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-21-2005 at 05:20 AM.

Closed Thread