It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• C5 Nerve Block

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
    srnelsen
    (male)

srnelsen HB User
    C5 Nerve Block

I was wondering if someone can tell me if there is a difference between a C5 nerve block and facet injections. I had cervical facet injections of I believe anaesthetic and steroids a couple of years ago. My new Doctor wants me to have a C5 nerve block.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: C5 Nerve Block

Hi Nelson, a facet injection is more of a local ensthetc that covers the netire facet jint. A nerve block will ause numbneness along the ntire path of that specic nerve dermatome. If you can find a dermatome map on the internet it shows you where each nerve originates and what portin of the body that nerve supplies feeling too. LIk e down theback of your arm, ove rthe wrist and your two lesser fingers. Just an example. LIkely the block wil be felt along that nerves path where a facet injection is simply to relieve pain localized to that facet, caused by facet atrophy or hypertrophy or disfunction of that joint.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 06-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #3
    76Owls
    (female)

76Owls HB User

Don't the facet injections burn the nerve roots? I just had those done and that is what I was told. I had bilateral facet injections in the L-5, S-1 area. If the nerve roots are burned, it is supposed to take about 2-3 years for them to grow back. And even after that, the nerves may not "remember" that they were "in pain" or causing pain.
    I probably just confused everyone...Sorry!

Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Yup, ya confused me Burning the nerves is called RFA, facet injections are local nerve blocks, DId you have a Facet Rhizotomy, that would be one name for the destruction of the nerve it if they didn't use the term RFA. They normally do a medial branch block prior to RFA or a Rhizotomy to determine if it will be helpful.
    2-3 years is pretty generous for any nerve ablation procedure I'm aware of. Radio frerquency ablation or Rhyzotomies can start to regrow in as as little as 4 months.

Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-03-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread