It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• 15 mg oxycodone not enough

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    15 mg oxycodone not enough

I'm taking 40 mg. of oxycotin 2x a day,and 15 mg. of oxycodone 2x a day for breakthrough. We all know oxycotin doesn't last 12 hrs.And when i take my breakthrough med. its not quite enough. Should i ask about raising the b.t to 30 mg[oxycodone I.R] 2x a day instead of raising the dose of the oxycotin? I have[every other 2 days or so] tried taking one and a half[I.R] and it helps.Just wanted to know what you's thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: 15 mg oxycodone not enough

Hey MH, Stronger BT meds won't solve the problem of oxyC not lasting 12hours. So it still leaves you in the position of usng your BT meds at the same time of day simply to bridge the gap between doses. IF you have to do this between every dose, you really don't have BT meds. What happens if your pain flairs and it's just 2 hours after you took your oxyC, do you use your BT med then or save it for those gaps?

These meds aren't really BT meds, they are fillers for the last 3-4 hours of each OxyC dose. If you used them truly as a BT med, You would be taking it on top of your regular dose of oxy, whether it's an hour later or 3 hours or 5 hours, A 15 mg Roxi pretty much doubles your serum level when your taking 40 mgs of OxyC, except those last 4 hours.

A 40 mg pill sustains roughly 20 mgs for 8 hours, so adding 15 on top of that 20 really almost doubles your dose. I would suspect that if you took 15 mgs 2 hours after a 40mg dose of oxyC, they would be very effective, but that's not how your using them, I understand why, the gap between each dose is miserable. It's not really BT pain, it's OxyC doesn't last 12 hours pain.
    Instead of BT pain, you have OCDL pain
    "OxyC Doesn't Last"

40mgs 3 times a day would actually allow you to use your BT meds for BT pain, not simply filling the gaps of a misrepresented medication.

It just depends on your docs willingness to go to TID dosing of OxyC..

You might want to let your doc know that the FDA has thrown Purdues patent on OxyC out, because it was mirepresented to keep other products off the market and they are facing major litigation over the misinformation they gave the FDA about OxyC and keeping needed generics effectively off the market for years. They made billions while patients suffered or used a prodcut from the SA line to bridge the gap, good for sales in all divisions.

Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-09-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Re: 15 mg oxycodone not enough

Hey Hatter,
    I can really relate to your problem. I went through the same thing for a short time while on the same two meds. Most doctors will tend to raise the base med, instead of raising the BT med. I went up on both, but it's been awhile so I don't remember the way it was done. I ended up at 160 mg of Oxycontin TID and 30 mg of Oxycodone either TID or QID for BT, not sure any more. Healthy dosing for sure, that's why my doctor and a lot of others take the patient off and switch them to something else. I guess, if I were you, I would explain your problem to the doc and then ask which would be the best route to take. That way he's more likely to think it's his idea, not yours. I don't know your doctor or your relationship with him, but I doubt he would jump your base to 80 mg. Probably it would be 60 mg and then maybe an increase in your BT OxyIR to TID? I don't know, I guess I'm just doing a guessing game with it.

Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Closed Thread