It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Switching from oxycotin to oxycodone[also kolonopin question]

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Switching from oxycotin to oxycodone[also kolonopin question]

I'm doing fine now,but i know there will be a time when my med.won't work as good as they did at first. I'm taking 60 mg of oxycotin TID i'm just bringing this up to be prepared.We all know tolerance is a big factor with any pain med. But i was just wondering,when the time comes[1yr-2yrs etc] instead of raising my dosage say to 80 mg,do you's think it would be a good idea to try lets say 30 mg of oxycodone IR one every 4-6 hrs? I know oxycotin is time-released oxycodone,but i was thinking by changing from time-released to IR would help as much as raising the dosage of the oxycotin. I've tried just about everything in the past, the patch,ms cotin, diludid,and the way my body responds to meds. oxycodone seems to work the best.A while back, i was taking valium for muscle spasms and anxioty.I was taking 10 mg mid morning,and at dinner time,and one before bed.[m.d.d.30mg] They did help a lot . Now my new doc. has me on kolonopin .5 same times morning dinner and bedtime. The pharmacist told me that they are more long-lasting than the valium,but i'm not getting as much out of the kolonopin as the diazapam.I want to change back to the valium,but i haven't said anything yet to the doc. I figured i'd give the kolonopin a chance,but its been over 2 wks,and it hasn't worked as good as the valium. Do you's think i should give it more time before i mention anything to my doc.? My next app. is the 21 of july.And she is a wonderful doctor! She actually listens to me,and is very very concerned about getting my life so that i can handle the every day activities that peaple without chronic pain take for grant. Thanks for reading this,all of you's have been a great deal of help! I MEAN THAT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User
    Re: Switching from oxycotin to oxycodone[also kolonopin question]

Are you currently taking a BT med? If not, when the time comes, instead of just giving up Oxycontin completely, you could use a BT med of maybe 10-15mg of Oxycodone with the Oxycontin. This way you still have a base med at q8, and Oxycodone IR. If you give up on Oxycontin completely then you will be requiring a larger dose of Oxy IR with many more ups and downs with a 4 hour med. Since its all Oxycodone, you will be using the same receptors so I don't think that will change the tolerance. If it were me, when the time came, I would talk to my Dr about maybe keeping the Oxycontin the same, but using an IR Oxycodone at a lower dose to keep the pain relief the same. Of course the day will come where you will have to up the OxyContin, but you may be able to drop down on the IR. Just my opinion.

As for the Valium and Klonopin, you are right about the difference. Valium is prescribed more for Muscle Spasms and Anxiety. So you probably were feeling better relief with it. Not to say that Klonopin will not work, just that Valium seems to possess better muscle relief qualities. You could always just talk with your Dr, and let her know that the Valium provided better relief. Seems like you have a good DR that would be understanding.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Re: Switching from oxycotin to oxycodone[also kolonopin question]

I was taking 60 mg oxycotin 2x a day,with 15 mg oxycodone for b.t . Now that i'm taking the 60 mg 3x a day,she said i shouldn't need any b.t med. Not that she wouldn't perscribe b.t med. to me,she was just hoping at 3x a day,hopefully i wouldn't need it. Actually i don't feel[at this time anyway] i need any b.t med.

And thanks for the reply,i noticed over a 100 peaple read my post,but only recieved one reply. Thats ok, many peaple have helped me out in the past,and i thank all of them!

Closed Thread