It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• PLEASE no one get offended- ? about vic./oxy.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User
    PLEASE no one get offended- ? about vic./oxy.

Okay, first of all, I live in Canada and have a ? about the pain meds I take. I'm asking only to help myself, and in the best interests of my health, not to get in a "dig" on Americans or any other place.

I take percocet daily. Is this a.k.a oxycocet? I think it is. Now for my real question: Is what I take the same thing as Vicodin? Now for the part I have to CAREFULLY word lol: I've only ever heard of Vicodin and the horror stories of addicts in the States. I have NOTHING against Americans; I have family that live there and love visiting from time to time. I just need to rest my mind and find out if what I'm taking (and have been since last year) is addictive and the same as all the addicts you hear about (Jack Osborne, etc. though I GUARANTEE that many Canadians suffer from every form of addiciton on the planet as well.) My pills are white, round, and say "CET" on them (I think.)

Thanks for any info. and hope I haven't offended or insulted anyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User
    Re: PLEASE no one get offended- ? about vic./oxy.

Hi Zuzu. Percocet is a brand name of Oxycodone/Apap(Tylenol). Oxycodone is the drug that is found in many preparations (OxyContin, Percocet, Percodan). Oxycodone can be just as addictive as Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab) and vise versa if taken incorrectly or abused. All these meds need to be followed by your doctors prescribed dosing. When people start taking them when not in pain or for recreation, addiction can happen very quickly. Anyone that has taken pain meds for an amount of time, will have some sort of dependence and tolerance to them. In other words, when the day comes that you won't need them, you need to taper down to avoid WD's. If you take pain meds for an amount of time, the need for more goes up to have the same analgesic effect (Pain Relief). Thats called tolerance. Oxycodone is stronger than Hydrocodone (Vicodin).

Hopefully this answers your question. I'm not sure about your pills that have CET on them. Check with your Dr or you can look on your prescription bottle and it should tell you which drug it is.

Take Care

Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User

Thank-you for the info. I just looked at the Rx label and this is what I'm taking: OXYCOCET OXYCODONE/ACETAMIN 5-325 MG. So I guess I just got my answer- I take oxycodone. I take about 3/day for since March '04. But I'm confused about the whole addiciton thing because I went off it for two months a little while ago (pain wasn't as bad then- could handle it) and while I don't take my oxy. every day, I had no WD's whatsoever. I watched for it, in case, but never noticed anything at all.

I dunno, I take it for endometriosis pain- have been through my only two treatment options to no pain relief, and am closely supervised by doc.

So what you're basically saying is that I'm taking something as addictive as vicodin, and stronger than morphine???? I'm surprised- even in the beginning, it didn't and doesn't now take even most of the pain away.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

It sounds like you are taking what is our version of Percocet which is Oxycodone and APAP. OXycodone is approximately 1.5x stronger than morphine. Hydrocodone is about a 1:1 ratio with Morphine. I know that sounds strange, but Morphine is just the gold standard that other drugs are compared to. Morphine is a very old drug. If you look on an equianalgesic chart it would show you the drugs as they are all compared. As far as addiction and WD's, there have been many studies of people that take pain meds for there pain as prescribed and the addiction rates are very low. Addiction problems become more present when the drug is abused. However, if you take pain meds every single day, and you are now stopping because you are no longer in pain, you should taper down your dose. This does not mean that you are "addicted" as if you were abusing; it is something your body has been used to taking and usually by tapering down you avoid any WD's.

Hope this clears things up. You can do a search on the internet for equianalgesic charts and find out what I was saying about drug comparisons. Take care.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Trust me here, if you are able to go off and on at will, you are not addicted.an addict would NOT be stopping just because their pain happened to go away.But anyone that is taking narcotics for any reason always runs a risk of a possible addiction forming.Under the right conditions your grandma could become addicted(believe me, I am in no way saying your grandmother is an addict here just an example,lol).It knows no bounds.Just continue to be responsible like you have been and never deviate from the Drs Rxing instructions and you should be fine.marcia

Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
    Drewtn
    (female)

Drewtn HB User

The worst stories you probably hear are about OxyContin. That is the 12 hour released form of Oxycodone.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User

I take the pills every day now again; when I went off them (Feb. & March '05), it was for a few reasons: a) I was so terrified of ending up an addict, losing my job, family, and going to rehab. after rehab. and b) the endo. pain wasn't as bad as usual (it was actually bearable for the most part, which is hard for even me to believe.)

And I should also say that during the two months, there were occasions I did need the pills, but instead of daily, it was about 3 times the whole two months.

What are all the signs of WD when stopping cold turkey? Was it unsafe for me to have stopped cold turkey the way I did?

Thanks for all the reassurance!

Oh, yeah, one more ?: Since there really are no viable treatment options for me (as of yet), if I stay on this stuff for years, will I eventually need a stronger drug? My doc has hinted at this before. If so, what is there? Can't have morphine; there's a possibility I'm allergic.

Thanks!

Zuzu

Old 07-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User

Oh, yeah, one more silly question: I heard on t.v. (yeah, I know, don't believe everything you hear on t.v.!!lol) that it's possible the "pain" I feel when the tabs are wearing off isn't really "pain" at all, and that oxycodone gives you cramps and it's actually a withdrawal symptom. So when I have the pain 3 hours after I take a pill, is it really my endo. or is it an addiciton/dependency I'm feeding?? The pain sure feels like it did before I started these pills, only not as bad.

Thanks, Zuzu

Closed Thread