It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Will someone please help me find a PainMgmt Doc in Dallas(I really need help)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
    mrm

mrm HB User
    Will someone please help me find a PainMgmt Doc in Dallas(I really need help)

need plase
    I will be moving to Dallas very soon (within the week) and need to locate a good, repredable Pain Management physician. I have been referred to two before, but have not been about to become as comfortable around them as I wish. They are both very profossional gentlemen, but I think there might be another doctor in Dallas that I would be more comfortable discissing my pain. Is there any type of database to show patient satisifaction with PM doctors, or does any have any recommendations? I just dont want to have to go with the old "hit and miss" proceedure again. Many thanks and God Bless.

I am in deire needl Thank you to all that assissited. God Bless You All.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Will someone please help me find a PainMgmt Doc in Dallas(I really need help)

Hi Matt, I've read all 3 posts and it sounds more like you need to find a GP in Dallas that can coordinate your care, that's how most insurance companies work and very few PM docs will take on a patient without a referral. This prevents people from doc shoping the only docs willing to treat intractable pain. That's life altering pain that hasn't resposned to any other type of pain treatment.

Heck we don't even know if you have done any PT at all. If you have, it sounds like you need more or simply a shot of cortozone and more PT. 5 months post op isn't unusaual to still have some type of nagging pain but doesn't mean you need pain management.

You may never be pain free after surgery but inability to pump iron is hardly a dire need that someoe can't live without. It's a lifestyle change you don't want to give up , but most repuatable PM docs have a good 2-3 month waiting list as they sift through the patients that truly need PM and those simply doc shopping or that have unrealistic goals that are trying to rush a recovery and want to mask all their symptoms so they can return to their normal full life.

A PM doc would be doing a disservice if he gave you enough pain meds to work out as much as you want and simply deal with the consequences later with a couple pills. It would be a bad dea to dope you up so you can work out at your own pace without feeling pain while you shred your shoulder again.

A PT program over seen by a doc that specializes in Physical and Rehabilitatative medecine "A Phsysiatrist" is likely the better choice rather than getting on a 3 month waiting list for pain management. By the tme you would see a PM doc a Physcial med doc could have you rehabbed as much as possible and the rest comes with time. You may have to learn to live with some discomfort and make lifestyle changes, but 5 months out is still too soon to make that call.

All we know is the shoulder is peventing you from weight lifting and to a patient in intractable pain that sounds like a small sacrifice to avoid unmmanageble pain.

If weight lifting as the only thing most of us had to give up to manage our pain it's sounds alot beter than becmeing physically dependent on meds that mask the pain so you can do more damage to your sholder without knowing it.

Give it some time, I'm not sure which hoops you feel aren't neccesarry and want to avoid, but you may be doing yourself a disservice if you bypass what you think won't help for something that brings instant relief. Not everyone that has surgery needs PM.

Physical medicne is probbaly the way to go untill you know the pain is something that's not going away and has a greater impact than a smple life style change can mange. Even a new PCP or GP can order more PT, scar management, or cortozone injections. But Someone new to the area, without a referall, without a history of other methods tried is going to have a hard time finding a PM dco to see you in the next couple weeks.Where a GP or a Physatrist could likely get you back on a plan to continue strengthenng, range of motion, scar management and deal with pain issues as they arise.

Parhaps if you gave some more info and answered some questions folks would feel more comfortabale posting their own docs name on the internet for anyone looking for an in at PM docs office.
    Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 07-25-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Will someone please help me find a PainMgmt Doc in Dallas(I really need help)

Shore is once again sooo right.Going through a physical medicine doc(physiatrist) is a much better idea than going straight to a PM doc.There are many many forms of therepy that you can get through a good physiatrist.I was in a wonderful rehab hospital after my spinal cord surgery and they were great.really.They worked with me at my own pace and i was actually able to reuse my leg and some of my left hand again.My motivation at that time was just wanting to go home again.i could not use either when I arrived there three weeks post op.find a good primary doc when you get there and talk with him/her about your options.Honestly, you do not want to go directly to pain meds when there are sooo many other options for you that would work much better at getting you able to do the things you used to.you definitely are still in the healing stages from your surgery and anything you do with that shoulder needs to be monitored by a good therepist or you will risk re injury and that will really cause you some major complications.just have a little patience(i know, easier said than done)and take things slow.hopefully with the right PT and time, you will be back lifting in no time.Take care,Marcia

Old 07-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
    myspine
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
    All of my physicians are in Dallas, but you will find the really good PM Docs will only take you by ref. I know with my PM doc/group you have to be coming from another physician like your surgeon or primary doc. I do not think you will find a "data base" on PM docs in the area as far as what patients think. The only thing you can do is check with the AMA to see if any complaints have been filed. Have you est. with a Primary? That may be your first step into finding a PM doc if that is infact the route you need. It does sound like you should find a great PT also. Good luck to you

Old 07-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
    katkat
    Inactive
    (female)

katkat HB User

get your family doc to send you in the right direction........probably a family doc down there first then he/she can help with a recommendation to a pain doc.

Closed Thread