It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Nitroglycerin helped my pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
    Kayley
    Veteran
    (female)

Kayley HB User
    Nitroglycerin helped my pain

Hi all! I hope you are all having a relatively pain-free day today. I wanted to tell you something that happened this weekend and ask if any of you have heard of such a thing. Saturday night I went to the ER with chest pain. The doctors did all the usual tests, then they gave me a nitroglycerin tablet to put under my tongue. At first I felt dizzy, and pain started running down my left arm. Then a few minutes later a miracle happened. My upper back pain was gone! I suffer from upper back pain since I had a spinal stimulator implant and epidural in 2001. Before the surgery and epidural my pain was located in my far right chest wall, and I still have that also but the back pain is much worse. Yesterday they did a stress test, which showed nothing, so the doctor said there is nothing wrong with my heart, and he chalked my chest pain up to my regular pain spreading. Have any of you ever heard of nitroglycerin helping back pain? This was the first time I have been out of pain in 4 years. It helped more than any medicine I have tried, including methadone and dilaudid. The only drawback was that I suffered from a bad headache all night but I'm wondering if a lower dose would help me. I'm going to talk to my PM doctor about this when I see him in two weeks.

Shoreline, I'm particularly interested to know what you think of this, since I know you have done lots of research. I just wonder if you have ever come across this before. I appreciate any feedback.
    Kayley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
    tracer
    (male)

tracer HB User
    Re: Nitroglycerin helped my pain

nitro expands blood vessels and improves blood flow but if it relieved ur back and chest pain id want a good check up.not to scare u but my mom had chest pains and had a strees test and doc said nothing wrong,6 month later she had open heart surgery and never recovered we lost her 5 months later she was completely clogged up.get a doc who will go look,a catheter is the only real way to know for sure.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
    Torley
    (female)

Torley HB User

I have heard of nitro just recently for pain and people have had good results

Some are using it to treat pain with pancreatitis and sphincter of Oddie which causes severe pain.

I would also like to knwo more about it, a sit sounds very interesting

debs

Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just from working in EMS for many years, I was always told that if nitro gives relief for chest pain,then it is almost certain that the pain is somehow cardiac related.I really do think much more in depth testing should be done to get a better picture of the entire thorasic area.Better safe than sorry.It may or may not be the reason but if it is,you really need to be made aware.Not knowing could come back to haunt you in a really big way.Good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread