It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Can Opiates cause bad sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User
    Question Can Opiates cause bad sleep?

I am wondering if something like the Oxycodone I am on could be responsible for the bad broken sleep I have been having? For more than a week I am up every 2-3 hours and its gotten so bad lately, I feel exhausted all the time and as soon as my eyes shut---and its strange b/c Im not even really asleep yet---I start to dream as soon as my head hits the pillow. Ill sleep about 3 hours, and wake up again.

My pain is the same as its been, and while I know all too well it can affect me, this feels....different. I havent changed my medication or the dosage for quite some time now, and havent been on anything new. After reading that some opiates can affect your REM sleep, I am wondering now if this is having an effect?

Strange thing is, I read people taking Alot more dosage wise than I am (I take 15mg every 6hours), yet dont complain of any sleep loss or sleeping problems. Has anyone else run into sleep troubles, or aware of what Im describing? Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
    VA-GAL
    (female)

VA-GAL HB User
    Re: Can Opiates cause bad sleep?

When I was on taking OxyContin I had a lot of trouble sleeping, I would be up tossing and turning all night long. My doc prescribed ambien and it worked very well. I have sinced switched meds and no longer need the ambien. SO the answer is yes, I think that some meds can do that. Some people's body chemistry cause meds to have the opposite effect on them. Where most people become drowsy on opiates, some get revved up. So far, OxyC is the only opiate I have had that reaction to. I did not get good pain relief from it either. Hence the switch to something else. Hope this helps.

Va-gal

Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Hi,out of all the narcotic pain med. out there,oxycodone is the more likely one to cause a little insomnia. I myself take oxycotin 60 mg tid[ i take a 40 and a 20] after a while,my body got used to the med. and i sleep fine,but i must say,at first,i didn't. But for myself,and a lot of other peaple i've talked to,anything with oxycodone,doesn't make you as drowsy as other med. like the patch[especially] and morphine,hydrocodone etc. matter of fact, it seems any med with oxycodone,seems to give me a boost of energy.Then again,everyones different.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I've had trouble sleeping with almost every opiate medication that I've ever taken! Oxycodone is especially bad when it comes to allowing me to get a good night's sleep. Now I'm on methadone and following a recent hip surgery, I'm taking dilaudid for breakthrough pain. My doctor has prescribed Lunesta as a sleeping pill for me. I think it helps quite a bit with helping me stay asleep. When I was on morphine and/or oxycodone, I literally spent most of the night sitting up in a stupor. If I did manage to lay down, I couldn't stay down for more than 30 minutes. It was horrible. You should talk to your doctor about the trouble you're having with sleep deprivation. Good luck - KathyMac

Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Phlox, Oxy May be more prone to being more stimulating or having a greater antihystamine release, But any of them can cause myoclonus or wrestless leg syndrome. I have the exact same sleep pattern, only it's gone on longer than I've been on opiates and has continued even at much higher doses, oral and intrathec.

Usually the first thing a doc wants you to do is have someone observe you why you sleep, or video yourself. Are you twitching or jerking awake. There is treatment for this. I haven't found it yet.

You may want to discuss a sleep study if you don't have someone to watch or video, but do it before you loose your mind after 5 years of no sleep.
    Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-03-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Hey Phlox, Oxy May be more prone to being more stimulating or having a greater antihystamine release, But any of them can cause myoclonus or wrestless leg syndrome. I have the exact same sleep pattern, only it's gone on longer than I've been on opiates and has continued even at much higher doses, oral and intrathec.

Usually the first thing a doc wants you to do is have someone observe you why you sleep, or video yourself. Are you twitching or jerking awake. There is treatment for this. I haven't found it yet.

You may want to discuss a sleep study if you don't have someone to watch or video, but do it before you loose your mind after 5 years of no sleep.
    Good luck, Dave
    Thank you everyone! And I know what you mean Dave, this is really driving me crazy...I cant possibly imagine if this keeps going on! I feel tired ALL the time, sick, and feel just.....Off....I know I would lose it if this went on for 5 years. The thought of this going on for just a year is too much, even.

If it isnt the Oxycodone, Im not sure what it could be. I still have the intense "ear popping" that some of you in the past said could be from myoclonus, and in fact the ENT doctor told me it appeared to be a spasming of the E.Tube, so that could be related with the myoclonus if its the same reason I get the twitching in the eyes and arms.

It is just amazing how much this affects your overall health, having broken sleep all the time. Its been going on for awhile, but I think its only in the last week or two that I have really been feeling the effects from it, like it has caught up with me physically instead of just being annoying. If its not the pain itself, than its the intense ear-popping or bouts of constant eye-twitching...but what has really gotten frustrating is how recently I just keep waking up every few hours. Its sad when you consider yourself lucky to get 3 hours of unbroken sleep. I will wake up (for whatever reason it might be that time) and if I slept for 3 hours think "Hey, at least I got 3 hours straight!" Its like going back to the situation I had with the pain to begin with.

But the amount sleep deprivation is leaving me feeling so horrible, that I have to figure this out. My doctor just went on an extended leave for family issues, and I dont know the substitute doctor so Im not sure what will happen when I discuss this with someone new all over again! Im almost hesitant because I dont want them to change my meds for like the 50th time after finally finding a balance for pain relief, but, now Im walking around like a Zombie every day from lack of sleep. Hmm...walking around like a zombie from no sleep....or not walking around much at all from pain....I dont want to have to choose.....but I swear, lately I feel like Im going to have a heart attack just from walking because of the exhaustion; or lose my mind because its like Im having "Dreams" as I am still awake!! (Its the strangest thing....hard to describe---kind of like a film going on in your head and you have no control---but trust me its NOT good!)

In fact, I think I am going to try and deal with some of the pain by not taking as much of the medicine, to see if it has an effect on my sleep. I pray this helps....because this entire situation lately is very much becoming a Quality of Life issue all over again. Just when you think things are finally stabilizing, something else kicks up. Sorry for the whine, if I had cheese I would serve it, too, lol. Just dreading the nighttime again, like I did when I was still in severe pain.

Thank you very much for all the replies, and for sharing your experiences! Feel free to add something if you think it could be helpful, I appreciate people who share their information and experiences---you never know when something youve gone thru might help someone! Take Care Everyone, and GOD Bless!

Last edited by Phlox; 08-03-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Flox, I can tell you what they tried on me, They started with the anti parkinsons meds. I don't think it takes alot to wake us so even a small twitch or maybe you having major twitches and jerking, can be a precurser to Parkinsons so my doc says. He said I'm 25% more likely than the average person to develop parkinsons. After years of other meds Elevill, Trazadone,ambien, just trying anything an everyting, even levequin and serequel "antispychotics" benzo etc we started with anti parkinsons meds. Requip, and miripex are parkinsons meds, that was the first line for twitching and jerking After that it was a prescription dose of a mineral, I can't remeber if it was Magnesium or Potassium citrate. It seemed odd but you will try anythng.

I had been Been Xanax as a way to try and relax or treat anxiety or really just something to help with the pain. I've never had an anxiety attack, but I can't catch my breath at some points when the pain is unmanageble and it helped. So they decded to switch me to Klonopin to treat the restless leg, replace the anti anxiety med and hopefully help with sleep. It helps the restless leg, and anxiety? but there is more too myoclonus than just restless leg as you know.

I could fall asleep, but staying asleep is entirely different. It's 2:30 am and I know if I went to bed at 11pm I could fall asleep but would be getting up now and stay up untill 4 or 5 then catching an hour if I was lucky.

My doc did give me some Tomazapam today, It's one I haven't tried and will try to use it sparingly so I don't become acomadated to it, but it sounds like another benzo intended to put you to sleep but that's not the problem. I'll let you know about the Restorill? "Tomazapam". Have you tried that one?

I definitely reach points where I think I'll snap and a spych ward and thorzine sounds good.LOL I can't say you get used to it, but this is the first new attempt at sleep in a year, So who knows. The crazy thought that more sugery is the only thing that will really make a difference in my life is occurng more frequently, and that's got to be a sign of insanity. LOL

Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you. Just thought I would share some cheese. My shrink did say that more pharma companies are focusing R&D on sleep, as our population of older people is rapidly growing, it's one of their major problems and the next big market in the drug industry. I guess we will see.
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-04-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
    mshatch
    (female)

mshatch HB User

I can say for me hydro's make me feel like im catching a second wind. I think its because my body feels well after I take it and I get all pumped up. I have been on pain meds for 7 yrs and had to laugh about what was said earlier Go to a doctor before you lose your mind...That is true. I have tryed everything with my hydro to make me fall asleep,Ambien, Sonata, Valium, Xanax and those are some pretty heavy equipment when it comes to falling asleep so I know where your at!!! If you find out any answers please post it for those of us who are still sleepless in PM.....I guess it just depends on how the hydro affects your body but something you said about starting to dream right away caught my attention. I used to have the same problem the only thing that made a difference for me on that part was anti-depressants. If you havent already tried it you might ask ur doc. Hope that helps

mshatch

Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

Wow, I cant believe anyone would actually want to feel like this---I am so exhausted mentally and physically---and that there is a name for it even, rofl! I have already scaled back some of what I am supposed to take, and within two days my pain was into the "breakthru" mode....but Im trying to wait longer to see if I can get some dam sleep in the meantime. Im not sure how long it would take for it to allow me a continuous 6-7 hours of sleep! I was hoping it might work as soon as the first night, but, I have just been tossing and turning, and with the pain making it hard to keep my head in a comfortable position, Im not sure if this is a good answer. I am going to try it for another day or two, unless the pain increases past where it is currently.

I just want to say, that you all have no idea how good it makes me feel to know that I am not the only one experiencing this, tho! I was really starting to think something else might be going on, but thanks again to the people here sharing their information and experiences, it gives you a better idea of where to start with this and other problems that arise when youre disabled. I just thank you all for sharing, and taking the time to type replies to each other!

Oh and btw Dave, I was prescribed Ambien before, but while I did get more of the "unbroken, continuous sleep," I still did not feel refreshed when I would wake up. That is also part of the reason I didnt want to treat this problem with medication, if possible. In reading about the Ambien, that is where I originally became aware that narcotics can prevent you from entering and/or staying in the REM part of your sleep. I think that is what has been happening, and especially now that others have been sharing the same story, Im more convinced that is the case...especially with the "dreaming before Im even asleep" part...I think its the brain going into REM mode before youre even asleep, because of sleep deprivation. Granted, Im just guessing, but it sure does make sense.

Well I am going to again startup one of the routines, of trying to mentally prepare myself for sleep--thats an entire thread of its own, lol--either reading, watching something relaxing and familiar on TV/DVD, listening to music, or a combination of them...in an attempt to fall into a DEEP sleep. Unfortunately, Im usually doing "that nod" halfway thru a routine, but wind up waking back up 2-3 hours later anyways....here goes! Thanks again everyone, and GOD Bless!

Last edited by Phlox; 08-05-2005 at 11:46 PM.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 AM   #10
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

4am.....and all is......*sigh* I fell asleep for a whopping......45 minutes, hey! Im dead tired, yet cant stay asleep. Figured I would distract myself for a bit, before laying back down and doing the "Pain Patient Pillow Prop Technique." Hehe

I was just reading thru various stuff on the 'net, and that Ambien commercial comes on: "Night. When the rest of the world...." "Ambien....works like a Dream." LOL! Yikes, you can tell Im overtired, Im finding Pharmaceutical commercials funny, hah! Well, gonna try again, nighty-night.

Last edited by Phlox; 08-06-2005 at 02:05 AM.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
    MKS
    (female)

MKS HB User

Hi, all. I'm new around here. It is so amazing to me to find out that there are other people experiencing what I have been - I'm not crazy! Just within the last couple of weeks, I started thinking that the oxycontin (between 500 - 600mg daily) must be doing this to my PM sleep. It's bizarre to me, because the narcotics cause me to be so sedated during the daytime that I actually have to fight to stay awake. I seldom spend less than 23 hours a day in bed, so already being there makes it that much more difficult. (Not to mention daytime TV.) At night, even with a truckload of Ambien, I still go to bed each night knowing that I will be wide awake in three or four hours. I confess to feeling a freakish joy when I wake up, look at the alarm clock, and realize that, hey, at least I got all the way to 3:30 this morning! What a feat! It has just been frustrating the crud out of me; I find it absolutely miserable to be awake in the middle of the night. Middle-of-the-night TV is the worst kind of all, since there isn't an infomercial that I haven't already seen at least four times.

I also have the the dreaming-before-I'm-asleep issue, but it hadn't occurred to me yet that it was a negative thing - duh. I fall asleep quite a few times during a 24 hour period, but the only time that I dream before I'm asleep is when I first go to bed, having taken my 25mgAmbien about one hour before. When I start dreaming, I actually get excited about it because it signals to me that I'll be unconscious very soon. No more pain, at least for a little while!

Anyway, while I hate knowing that there are other people sharing in this kind of agony, it is comforting to know that what I perceived to be an issue with this drug isn't all in my head.

Closed Thread