It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Duragesic patch won't stick

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
    hummingbirdhope
    (female)

hummingbirdhope HB User
    Cool Duragesic patch won't stick

I can not keep this stupid patch on. i covered it with more tape I hope that doesn't hurt anything. I need something stronger this 25mcg does not do a whole lot myabe it because it does'nt stay one good, does anyone know, would like some advice. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User
    Re: Duragesic patch won't stick

Hey, Hummer.!

I was about to Post my info on Bilbo's Thread, but I saw your's, so I figured why not put it here.! Seems like Alot of people have the Same Trouble, with the Patch not sticking on.

All this info, -- I got thru reading up on some other Threads here in Pain Management. If you type Duragesic Patch, or Fentanyl Patch into the Search box up above (and have the Search run in the Pain Management board), you will come up with alot of Good Info on the Patches...

Some people say they have "success" in keeping the Patch on by using these Nasal Sprays on the area where you are going to put the Patch on. They say the Sprays are sticky after application:

Flonase

Rhinocort

Nasacort

I, personally, didn't have much Luck using them.

What I found works best for me is:

Compound Benzoin Ticture. (Mane by Swan Company)

It is a "Topical Protectant", and very sticky. I am not sure what it is "specifically" prescribed for. (???). I asked my Pain Doc for scripts for all 3 Nasal Sprays, and this Compound BT.(He's a Great Guy.!). For Me, --- it works GREAT.!!!

Using a Q-Tip (Its Liquid), I put it Any Place that the Patches sticky edges would touchthe skin. And since I also use (Or I should say "Did Use", as I am no longer using the Patches nowadays.!) the "Bioclusive Overlays", from Johnson & Johnson, I also put the Compound on any of the Areas that the "Tape" was going to touch. Not only did the Compound make everything stick on tight, (Never had to worry when taking Showers.!) it also stopped me from having these Rashes (Red Blotches.!) that occured when I was putting the Patches on every 2 Days.!

As long as you have your Fentanyl Box (they will ask you for some info #'s on it), you can call Johnson & Johnson at this number:

1-800-526-7736 (9-5 PM Eastern time)

Just tell them you wash your skin with "light" soap and water, and no matter how hard you have tried, you just can't get the Patch to stick on.! -- They will send you a Box of these Coverings at NO EXPANSE to you.! And they really do work well at keeping the Patch on.

Well, --- these are just a couple of Options you can Try... Everybody has gone thru the Same Frustrations, as you are now, with these Patches...

As far as "Increasing" the level of Strength, of your Patch,--- they do come in 25, 50, 75 (?), and 100's, or you could ask him to let you change them every 2 days, instead of the normal 3.( That is what I did, and other people also...) But that is between your Doctor and you. How long have you been using the 25's.???

Well, I hoped this has Helped ya, Hummer. (?)

Write back and let us know how you are doing.....

Kinda.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a suggestion as this happens alot with my lido patches.i seemed to have the biggest problem with the corners starting to go first so I started cutting off just part of the tips on all corners,you know, kind of just rounded them off? this really made a big difference.i don't know just how these patches are made or if you could even do this with them but if you are using those covers over the top,you can definitely cut the corners a little on those.just a thought.mine stay on much longer now.it seems like even just a tiny little lift on one corner would start a big 'roll down' in a very short time.marcia

Old 08-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hey, Marcia...

I also use the Lidoderm Patches. Mostly on my calf.
    To keep them on, -- I wrap them lightly with a Ace Bandage. Works very well...

I have used them at the "small" of my Back, and also on top of the sacrolliac. Ace bandage didn't help much there.! Maybe I will try rounding off the edges, and see how long they stick on. Thanks for the tip.! -- Never heard of anyone using the BioClusive Overlays for a Lidodern Patch though (???). Hmmm......

KindaUnwell...

Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi kinda,it is nice to know that you are still alive and kickin(okay i know the kicks are over for you now,lol)anyway, i don't use those covers myself either, I was mentioning that for those who use them on the duragesic patches.i like to use the lido on alot of different areas the only big problem that i have with wrapping ANYTHING around the area where i use them the most is that i have RSD there and wow any sort of constriction in that particular area would be totally untolerable.but it would really help with the crap in my arm.I will give that a try.i usually place two patches around my l arm before i go to bed but they tend to catch and start to 'roll" from the sheets.I'll let you know how it goes.
    Sooo,how the heck are ya???It HAS been a while since you last popped in to the boards.hope things are still goin okay for you.Marcia

Old 08-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
    kindaunwell
    Inactive

kindaunwell HB User

Hi, Marcia...

Yes, --- I guess it has been awhile since I've been around... I have missed talking with everybody...

Things are alot more under control now. For quite awhile there, I was really into abusing the Strong Meds. They are soo easy to get, with my Documentation (Plus the Street Drugs..). Its a "Constant Battle", ya know (?). Where does the Medicinal Part end, and the Euphoria Chasing begin.? There are streches of Time when I just don't know, -- or Care.! ( I wonder if I'll ever change...) And it makes me feel soo Guilty of being such a Hypocrite to come on the Board when I get like that.( How can I advise someone when I am High all the time.!). -- So, I just isolate and stay away... (Haven't spoken to Anyone on the Addictions Board yet. Maybe later. -- So Many New Names, huh.?).

But, like I said, --- Things are Somewhat Better now.!

Anyway, -- Tell me "Wot's up wid you".? (LOL). I see you are still Posting alot, and giving out Very Good Advise and Info.! (As Always.!!!). The Board needs that...
    I can't remember if I have talked with ShoreLine before (the Past is ALWAYS FOGGY for me nowadays.! lol). But He seems like a Very Intelligent Person, with an awful lot of Knowledge.! He just helped me out on something last week...

With all those Cervical Problems, -- How are you making due.? Are there any Medical Procedures coming up for you.? Besides the somewhat Failed Spinal Fussion, I had the Right Hip taken out in Middle of 03, and now the Left one is starting to give me Trouble. The Films show the Arthritis creeping in. (His Opinion is "Maybe" 3 or 4 years from now. But in this High Humidity today, it was a constant Groin Pain all day at work. (Grrrr.!!!). How are you "Getting By" with all your Chronic Pain.? I hear that RSD is "Extremely" Painful.!!! Is there "really" anything that can "Cure It".??? Or is it That they can "only try" and make it Less Painful for the Patient.?

Okay, Marcia, -- It was Nice Talking with you again. --- Hope to do it some more...

KindaUnwell...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Hummingbird,

Where are you putting your patch on (upper chest, upper back, upper arm)? I'm on the 75 mcg patch and I put it on my upper chest along with the bioclusive overlays. I have found this area to be the best spot for me. I just alternate sides. I have the rashes, too. I just put hydrocortisone cream with aloe on the rash when I take the patch off. I keep applying it day and night until it's time for me to put the next patch on (I change my patches every 3 days in the morning, so the last time I put the cream on is at night). They always start people on the 25 mcg patch. Just explain to your Dr. that it's not helping your pain. Hopefully, they will increase it to the 50 mcg. It does take time to find the right dose.

Do you take anything for breakthrough pain? Along with my 75 mcg patch, I also take Actiq 1200 mcg (up to 6/day prn - I know the max is 4/day, but I have a wonderful pain doc who understands breakthrough pain meds should be tailored to the patient's needs). The Actiq is a fentanyl lollipop (doesn't taste very good, but it gets the job done on the breakthrough pain).

Take Care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-03-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Closed Thread