It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxymorphone finally on the way.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Lightbulb Oxymorphone finally on the way.....

Endo and Penwest pharma, who are partners in the developement process, have announced fully positive results for the final second part phase III trial of Oxymorphone ER and IR tablets, which was ordered by the FDA in 2003 to resolve some final questions more fully. The medication produced expected side effects, similar to oxycodone medications with efficacy of pain relief reported to be more powerful then Oxycontin and MS Contin. The positive results mean that Oxymorphone ER and IR will likely have a release date as early as July of 2006. I for one, have been excited about oxymorphone because it will add a totally new alternative for chronic pain patients to add into their rotation when other narcotics begin to not work as well. I just really hope that it is not as outrageously expensive as Palladone, and I also hope it doesn't have the same trouble with small amounts of alcohol, as Palladone did, which caused it to be pulled off the market only 2 months after being released by Purdue Pharma. This will be the first time Oxymorphone will have ever been available in a pill form, and outside of the hospital setting, where it had only been available as an injection and a rectal suppository. Oxymorphone, mg for mg is likely to be more potent then morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and even hydromorphone, and will be a good alternative to duragesic patches. I hope that information helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Oxymorphone finally on the way.....

Hey Wirry, thanks for the info, I have been checking Endos sights for years and haven't seen any updates or progress. It's actually in the same class as Oxycodone, hydro, hydromorph, the Keto synthetics. It's suposed to be about 3 times stronger than morphine or twice as strong as OxyC from the charts I have seen but I'm not a complete believer in cross tolerance. Different meds even in the same class may produce better results in lesser doses unlike the Cross tolerance theory suggests.

Cool deal. Take care, Dave

Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Oxymorphone finally on the way.....

I know from reading the package insert for oxycodone preperations, that oxymorphone is actually one of the metabolites produced or converted from oxycodone by the human body. So I would think, although I am certainly no professor of pharmacology, that oxymorphone tablets would be more easily and directly metabolized by the body and absorbed by the various affected neuro-receptors. By the way, I also read an interesting report that was recently presented at the world college of pain (or some such physician's organization), indicating that oxycodone has recently demonstrated, in a large clinical series, using healthy opiate-naive' volunteers who were exposed to various types of painful stimuli, an ability to fight visceral (gut type) pain significantly more effectively then morphine due to its being active in the kappa pain receptor, while morphine is active in the mu-receptors, so I thought that was an interesting report. Also, for more detailed info about the rollout of oxymorphone, simply go to google, click on news, and type in "oxymorphone".

Old 08-31-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Oxymorphone finally on the way.....

thanks for the info wirry.i just hope that Endo dosen't try and save a little money and do to this what they did to their form of the oxycontin.yikes.that stuff was just awful.it is always good to have another option.
    You know,the conversion of the oxycodone over to oxymorphone now explains just why,on my UA results, oxymorphone was listed as being in my system.i knew i had not taken anything other than my normal oxycodone based meds,so when I saw this i kind of wondered about it and just kind of assumed that what you just stated about that conversion was the actual culprit.It is so nice to know that I was finally right about somethin.Thanks.marcia

Closed Thread