It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Do you have a Morphine Pump and a Spinal Cord Stimulator Box?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
    palarin
    (female)

palarin HB User
    Do you have a Morphine Pump and a Spinal Cord Stimulator Box?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that currently has or did have the Morphine Pump and the Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted at the same time for pain control.

I'm interested in how well it controlled your pain, any problems it may have caused you, were you more active once you had these implanted, would you recommend having this done to others? Also, I know that they implant the morphine pump in your stomach, was your pump implanted on the same side where your stimulator is located or did they implant the pump on the opposite side of where your stimulator is located?

I currently have the spinal cord stimulator implanted and my doctor would like for me to have the morphine pump implant as well. We trialed the morphine pump and it was kind of hard to tell if it helped me or not. Any feedback anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Maria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Do you have a Morphine Pump and a Spinal Cord Stimulator Box?

Hi Maria, I don't have an SCS but The pump was the best choice I have made in the last 12 years. From talking to an older friend from the forum his wife just had her pump replaced and they implanted it in her hip/backside. It doesn't sound comfy sitting or laying on it but I guess it depends on how much back side you have.

As far as a trial that's not an obvious success I would do another trial or try a different drug. The standard for a successful trial is 50% relief. Barely feeling a difference sounds like a gaurentee to be dissapointed with it. The last person that described their trial the way you did was having it removed after spending a year trying morphine then dilaudid then fentanyl and sufentanyl. If it works it works, it shouldn't be something your not sure about.

If you pain is mainly nerve pain, it takes considrably more opiates to manage nerve pain. I also wouldn't think that 50 % relief from an SCS and 50% relief from a pump equals complete relief. 50% relief from the scs bings you down to half the pain, an additional 50% bings you 50% down from where you are now, still leaving 25% of the original pain which would be a great acomplishment in most eyes. Complete relief is just something that may never be obtainable depending on your condition and diagnosis and the stability of the problem.

You don't have to go in patient for a trial either, some docs will do single bolus injections, and give you an injection of an opiate either into the epidual or intrathecal space, keep you around the office for several hours and look for That 50% relief goal needed to justify the implant. If you didn't respond to increasing doses of one med, it doesn't mean you wouldn't respond better to a different med. The meds they use are from the 3 completely different classes of opiates so it's likely to have a very diferent response to fentanyl than morphine or Dilaudid.

Prialt is another med "cone snail toxin" that was aproved last year for IT pumps. It's believed to be hundreds of times more potent than morphine mg to mg with no addictive or opiate like side effects.

However it does have the potential for some unique and very serious side efects. Personally I would like to see how it does a little longer in practical aplication before I would consider something that can cause psychosis and halucinations. But it is an option and may work better on nerve pain than the opiates available.

I remeber prior to sugery that pain meds would help my back but not touch the leg pain from ruptured discs impinging nerves. Nerve pain is just so much harder to treat.
    Good luck, Dave.

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-31-2005 at 12:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    Ayvalik (02-16-2011)
    Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
    orchidflower24
    (female)

orchidflower24 HB User
    Re: Do you have a Morphine Pump and a Spinal Cord Stimulator Box?

I am considering a pain pump for nerve pain in my lower back and both legs...sciatica....caused by multiple sclerosis lesions in my brain and thoracic area of my spine. Can anyone share with me their early recuperation experiences with the surgery, etc. I am on strong oral meds right now, but I am scared to do the major surgery and have the hardware in my body. Am I overreacting?

Please help....I have had this pain for the last 20 years!!!

Thank you for any experiences you can share, including if it will impede any physical activities I wish to engage in.

Closed Thread