It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New "miracle" drug for nerve pain - Lyrica - anyone try it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
    mngirl
    (female)

mngirl HB User
    New "miracle" drug for nerve pain - Lyrica - anyone try it?

It just became available in the U.S. just last week. My dr. thinks that this may just be the ticket for all my problems. He is getting samples next week and I will start trying it out. (I guess it has been available in Canada, but don't know for how long). I am concerned about the "newness" of the drug. I was wondering has anyone tried it? What were your results? I am hoping that I can get away from the 6 hour Lidocaine treatments twice a week and the trigger point injections and the zillions of drugs I am on.

Thanks!
    Lisa

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: please follow your topic here - do not post multiple boards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
    Kay14
    Inactive
    (female)

Kay14 HB User
    Re: New "miracle" drug for nerve pain - Lyrica - anyone try it?

Hi Everyone,

I am also very interested in hearing what type of experiences those out there who are on or were on Lyrica have had. My Dr. is just waiting for it to come in just like in Lisa's situation. Lisa is "concerned" about the newness of this drug . . . I am terrified! The last new drug I tried was Lamictal and my reaction was so bad I had to do the Medro pack. I do understand that this is a completely different class of drug though, so personal experiences would really help those of us about to embark on yet another try! Thank you in advance for any info you can share. Amy

Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
    mngirl
    (female)

mngirl HB User

Amy -

I am also on Lamictal and it is helping me with another condition I have (POTS) and it is helping. My dr. said that Lyrica would eventually replace the Lamictal. They wouldn't take me off the Lamictal until I was on the Lyrica for a while. But with it being a cousin of Neurontin, I am not too sure. I had some bad reactions with the Neurontin. I could barely stay awake, stomach pains and some other reactions.

I am willing to test anything at this point though. Something has to be better than all the Lidocaine they are pumping through my system at this point. It is awfully hard to sit there for 6 hours twice a week. I am SO tired of getting stuck with IVs. And at this point, my veins aren't doing too well. At this point I am getting stuck AT LEAST 3 times for each treatment just to get the IV in. We talked about a port, but I also have Addison's Disease and don't heal too well. My dr is afraid to do ANY surgery on me at this point. He said that it may end up causing many more problems!

Can't wait to hear from any others that may have any info.

~Lisa

Old 09-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
    Kay14
    Inactive
    (female)

Kay14 HB User

Hi Lisa,

What exactly is POTS? I am glad the Lamictal is helping whatever it is and you did not have to got through my experience. You sound like a really strong person. 6 hours 2X a week for the Lidocaine sounds rough. I hope it is worth it for you. I have had epidural injections, facet injections, and trigger point shots. I can just say from my experience that injecting steriods into my spine was very difficult. I don't honestly think my body has ever totally recoved from that period in my life.

I would like to ask anyone out there who has had good luck with spinal injections to share what their experiences were like.

And yikes, I was wrong. I did read somewhere that Lyrica is a cousin to Neurontin. I don't know where I got the idea it was a different class of drugs! I do not want to walk around like a sombee all of the time. It gets so very discouraging to me when the cures start to get worse than the disease. Right now it doesn't seem like anyone out there has had experience with Lyrica yet.

Be well, Amy

Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
    mngirl
    (female)

mngirl HB User

Amy -

POTS is Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, which means that my body cannot handle going from sitting to standing. My pulse will go from 50s up to 150 and stay there. It is awful. It was causing MAJOR dizziness and causing me to feel like I am going to pass out - I did at the hospital! At least the paramedics were there to catch me!

~Lisa

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amy0104
    Hi Lisa,

What exactly is POTS? I am glad the Lamictal is helping whatever it is and you did not have to got through my experience. You sound like a really strong person. 6 hours 2X a week for the Lidocaine sounds rough. I hope it is worth it for you. I have had epidural injections, facet injections, and trigger point shots. I can just say from my experience that injecting steriods into my spine was very difficult. I don't honestly think my body has ever totally recoved from that period in my life.

I would like to ask anyone out there who has had good luck with spinal injections to share what their experiences were like.

And yikes, I was wrong. I did read somewhere that Lyrica is a cousin to Neurontin. I don't know where I got the idea it was a different class of drugs! I do not want to walk around like a sombee all of the time. It gets so very discouraging to me when the cures start to get worse than the disease. Right now it doesn't seem like anyone out there has had experience with Lyrica yet.

Be well, Amy

Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Hi, I just wanted to add that my dr is wanting me to go on lyrica also, your right it is like a cousin to nuerontin, it's supposedly not to be as harsh though and the side effects not as extreme and work beter.
    It's ben FDA approved now for probably over a yr my dr says it should be out any time.
    I have tried 4 differnt meds of this type now and only two helped but I had terible side effects to one and was allergic to the other, nureontin didn't help at all, so I'm not sure.
    I have talked to some from the UK that are taking it and they seem to think it's okay, I haven't heard to much though.
    It is also prone to weight gain like nuerontin, which I've gained to much already.
    I started cymbalta( a AD) for nerve pain and it has helped some with the nerve pain and with a better attitude towards the pain, I want to try topomax for the nerve pain but my PM isn't as enthused about it he says he finds it works well for headaches but not as much for nerve pain, but after much research I'm finding a lot of people are getting good result for the nerve apin and cymbalta and topomx seem to work well togather, from all I've heard the side effects aren't as severe and weight loss usually goes along with it.
    I'm thinking of going ahead and telling him I want to try it anyway.
    Ive ben hearing for a long time lyrica would be available and I need something now for the nerve pain.
    Lisa I had something of a problem like your except it was my heart rate would go up to 220 and someimes stay like that for days and days..

Linda

Closed Thread