It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

get off this morphine

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
katkat
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
get off this morphine

I've made a decision to get off my time released morphine. It just wasn't working the way I'd like it to anyway and I have had bad side effects that I do not want to contine.
I am down to the lowest dose of Kadian 20mg once a day. Now what? How can I kick the last of it without going through all the withdrawal pain? I see the pain doc on Wednesday, will he tell me to just stop taking it and in a few days I'll be fine,,,,,if I can get through those few days? Being down to this low dose, I am having pain and chill, hotflashes too.....that could be from something else as I have other health issues right now too. Help
thanks in advance for any ideas or help.
Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Shoreline
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: get off this morphine

Hi Kit Kat, Morphin is about the same strength as hydrocodone, Th easiest way to DC the morphine is to switch to short acting med, Start with 4 5mg VIcodin a day and wait until you have adjusted to that decrease and not having a totaly constant level in your sytem. Then do whatever is easiest, split a pill in half one or two doses a day and and stick with that for 3-4 days, then continue to drop the dose down by splitting the other doses in half, now your at 10 mgs of hydro a day, Then slowly space the doses apart, start at every 8 hours and slowly increase the time between doses, untill you at a half a pill twice a day. Eventually discontinu one of the dosed and use a sleep aid like elivil or benedryl at night and use your one half in the orning so you can get the initial ickies under control.

It honestly sounds like a lot of time and effort to stop 4 vicodin a day , You could prbably go a little faster, eperience a few extra sympptoms but not stay feeling funky for weeks. Once you get to 1/2 a pill twice a day, if you simply quit cold turkey, you will have 5-7 bad days and it's over. It may take seveal week or months for sleep paterns to return to normnal, but discontinuing 4 vicodin a day isn't going to kill you and will get better after a week or so.

Fortunately your dose is low enough that it can be done. Every surgery I had, I came home with percocet, then 3-4 weeks out they switch you to a hydrio product after about a month the simply stop the meds and I've never experienced withdrawal from discontuinng post op meds, lkely because the limited use and short duration, but since you alreasdy have your use down, it's the duration of morphine use that will make the difference in how the withdrawal will go. It won't be like discontinung 2oo or 300 mgs of morphine a day. Likely just hot and cold flashes, chills and sleepinesss. It's not an impossible task and can be done in a week or so. Anyone that has ever had surgery and discontnued meds felt a little funky when the doc said it was time to DC the opiates. Darvecet is anothr good step down drug, it's not as strong as Vicodin, but it will help with the withdrawal.

Your choices are too just get it over with, as not to continue to feel bad, or taper as sugested to limit how bad you feel but that sustains how long you do feel some withdrawal.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-26-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
katkat
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

I've been taking this morphine for two years and feel good about being down to 20mgs per day. I am getting the hot flashes and chills and having a awful time sleeping. For some reason when I started taking this stuff I didn't think I'd become dependent on it, like I was going to be above all that because I didn't have that addictive personality. lol How stupid is that? I wonder what would happen if I just stopped cold turkey? I tried that last winter but I was taking 30mgs twice a day at that time. I'm seeing the pain doc wednesday so I bet he will give me something to help. I heard that valium is good to take for this too.
Plus I have the pain to think about to. I guess I can start crawling instead of walking. I laugh now but the pain is rearing its ugly head as the days pass. I just can't deal with the narcotics anymore. My girlie doctor said I was too young to be taking this crap and I tend to agree.
thanks Dave,
Kat

Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
katkat
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

I just saw my pain doctor today. I told him I was down to 20mgs per day and I want to get off of them. He gave me a script for Methadone. This is the game plan.
I take two a day for five days.
Then take one a day for five days.
Then take 1/2 for five days, then cold turkey the rest.
Do you think I'll have any symptoms when I stop? He told me since I was at such a low dose already I might be able to do it without the methadone. I ask how long would it take and he said about five days. I said I'll take the methadone. I can't believe it, after two years I'll be off of it. The bad part is I have nothing left for pain killers. He ask if I'd want a script for Ultram but I said no, what good would ultram do for me after I've been taking morphine for two years. I paid my bill and went outside to my van and had a good cry. Feeling a bit sorry for myself I guess. One day at a time.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
katkat
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

I took my first methadone pill last night and was supposed to take another one about 9 this morning. I left them at home and did not get back until about 1 to take the next one.......so far no symptoms of withdrawal, this is a good thing.

Closed Thread