It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pain Management wants to put me on Oxycontin! Or implant... INFO PLEASE???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 AM   #1
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
    Pain Management wants to put me on Oxycontin! Or implant... INFO PLEASE???

Hey Ya'll My Pain Management Doc wants to put me on Oxycontin, or has spoken of putting me on it, I have been told by several that it is quite addicting and also pretty much keeps ya sedated... Is this true?

The other options he has spoken of is the Nerve Root Stimulator Implant or the Interthecal Drug Delivery Device (Morophine Pump) First he said he did not want to do an implant because I am so young, Im 38 but I guess he feels that is young for a permenant implant... then he mentions Oxy.... and says for my partner and I to come back today Wednesday to talk with him at lenght... but then he shows me the videos about the implanted devices.... I am not at all eager for either of the devices.... Guess If anything I will have to try the Oxy....he seemed to get a bit mad when he read over the list of drugs they have tried with me and non have helped or my body has reacted and i could not take them what have you.... its not my fault, but he acted like they should have already found something to control my pain by now.... or I should have! What a crock.... but anyway, guess we will see how this meeting today goes.... But any imput on the implants and the Oxy would be appreciated.... all experiences... Thanks

TRose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Pain Management wants to put me on Oxycontin! Or implant... INFO PLEASE???

Actually oxycontin is probably much safer from an addiction standpoint than most of the short acting meds out there like percocet and vicodin.The biggest reason being the fact that OC does not release all of it's contents at one time like the SA meds do,thus you avoid that sudden rush of euphoria that is the big 'attraction" for addicts.this is just strictly my opinion but i honestly think that if more people were actually given something like oxycontin 10mgs for like the usual reasons(teeth issues,painful procedures,you know, the "normal" type stuff where you would get an Rx for pain for usually a few days to months to treat some sort of painful condition?)instead of giving them a potent narcotic like percs or lortab and told to take as needed,usually every four to six hours,that the chances of them actually becomming addicted to those meds would really be much much smaller.OC has an initial relaese of a certain amount of oxycodone,depending on the actual strength of the pill you are taking,and theorhetically(supposed to last 12 hours but normally does not go past 8 at best.but luckily most docs are aware and adjust the Rxes accordingly,mine does)the rest of the contents is released slowly over the next twelve hours.So you never really get that initial "hit" of the euphoria,just a much more subtle 'feeling' of something kind of kicking in.it works alot better than taking a pill every four hours as you aviod completely the ups and downs of having to keep repeating doses when your pain starts to come back.OC really is such a wonderful med for so many of us cp patients and personally it was the first med I tried out of many other narcotics that really helped me to at least get a handle on the overwhelming pain I suffer with 24/7.it has just gotten such a very bad rap from the media because a couple of really stupid people altered the delivery system and ended up ODing on it.This was just the beginning of a long messy ongoing crusade by some really uninformed people who just thought this was the most evil drug ever invented.very sad but true.I really do honestly think that you really need to at the very least ,give this med a try before comdemming it.it really could change your life like it has for so many of us who are suffering from some pretty incredible types of severe pain.do some of your own research on this med(as you should do before starting any new med) and find out the truth on just how great it is.avoid the articles that are just uninformed media crap on the evils of oxycontin.i would definitely give different long acting meds a real good try before having anything implanted.while many of the implanted devices may work wonderfully,there are also just the risks of having the actual procedures with crtain devices that also would require many adjustment surgeries to check lead placements and the ever present possibility of infections developing.i am not knocking the use of these type of devices but if you can take a few pills a day and get at least some good control over your pain,why put yourself through all of the ongoing hassles involved with the devices if you really didn't have to,you know?I too have considered the many options availiable with the stims and the pumps but right now, I kind of have them on the shelf as back up plans incase my meds don't do it for me anymore all by themselves.but DO give the OC a trial run,you may be very pleased at what good may come from it.You wont know unless you try.hope this helps and didn't just confuse you more,lol.marcia

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
    dv8er (11-23-2012)
    Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
    Fancylady
    (female)

Fancylady HB User

Hi T Rose,
    If your in a lot of pain, what are you going to do? I was given a scrip of Oxycontin and it made me itch all over. I was told later that if I would try taking Benidyril (sp) that it would help. They tell me that most pain meds help. I take Hydrocodone and it works fine, I don't know why the other doc changed my meds. It looks like you got a chooice to make, try the meds OR have the implant done, or live with the pain. Good Luck.
    Blessings,
    Fancylady

Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Wild Rose, Marcia pretty much covered most of the advantages of using long acting meds . It would be pretty radical to go straight to a pump or implant before trying oral meds. Itís a much less invasive method of managing pain. You may even find your insurance company wonít pay for a pump until you have tried oral meds and patches, why go to the most advanced delivery system available if taking a pill works?

The reason they switched fancy lady from short acting hydrocdone to a long acting med was explained by Marcia. No ups and downs, no clock watching, you donít live in 4 hour increments between doses trying to cram activity into the 2 and 1/2 hours a short acting med actually works. Being satisfied with Short acting dosn't mean it's the best way to go. Choosing to live with all the negative aspects of short actng meds is kind of hard to rationalize. As far as side effects, all opiates have side effects, itching is one of the most common and caused by most opiates that create a histamine release, benedryl makes sense. Not switching back to a med that creates the huge ups and downs and is more likely to be abused.

I think your confusing physical dependence with addiction. The easiest way to explain it is that you will become physically dependent on any opiate taken round the clock, whether it's short acting or long acting. Physically dependent just means you experience abstinence syndrome or withdrawal if you stop all meds abruptly. The same will occur with a pump if it runs out and you don't refill it.

What separates the difference from simply being dependent and addicted is the reason for using and the psych factors involved in addiction. I've yet to meet any addict whose drug of choice improved their quality of life, where opiates can improve quality of life in a chronic pain patient. Addicts don't get better from abusing their drugs, they don't function better, there is no positive aspect of addiction.

Physical dependence is just a consequence of using opiates and many other medications. You can't just stop taking antidepressants, especially SSRI's like Paxil. Does that mean your addicted to anti depressants or your body has become used to having the med and reacts to not having it.

Dependence is a price we pay for pain relief when opiates are our only choice. You have to decide if the pain is great enough to except the negative aspects of opiates, like itching, constipation, urinary retention, flushing, sweating, all of these are possible side effects. But if you give up on a med at the first sign of some side effect, you will run through every med available and end up with nothing else to try. Itching, nausea, sweating and flushing ares ide effects that diminish over time or can be treated long before the analgesic effects diminish.

All the Media garbage about oxyC and abuse hold true for almost every med out there that changes your mood or may mask some other psych issue . Benzo's like valum, ativan, Xanax arealso abused but that doesnít mean tere arenít peopl that greatly benefit from these meds. The most abused opiate is actually Hydrocodone because it's not a scheduled 11 drug and docs are more prone to prescribe it for pain. long term use will cause the same tolerance, dependence, addiction and side effects, plus the Tylenol in it will damage your kidneys and liver which pure opiates don't.

Even if the death count is up to a thousand by now from OxyC abusers, that pails in comparison to the 18K people that die every year from over the counter pain relievers. Tylenol poisoning, liver damage, kidney damage, gastric bleeds from NSAID's make a thousand OxyC addicts that have died over a 9 year period look like a pretty small number. Seems to me if they want to take dangerous drugs off the market that kill thousands of people every year they need to start with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. It sounds silly but the statistics come from the CDC and FDA.

There will always be people that abuse whatever is available. Some abuse alcohol, some abuse amphetamines, tranquilizers and opiates. But the number of people prescribed these meds out of medical necessity is less than about 5%. The addiction rate of all substances among the general population is actually higher than the addiction rate of Chronic pain patients abusing their pain meds.

I'm certainly not trying to give a hard sell for OxyC, If you need it , it should be available, but only you know if you need it and only you now if the benefits outweigh the side effects. It is possible the side effects can be more impairing than your diagnosis. If that's the case, the negatives outweigh the benefits and the med shouldn't be used or increased to the point that the meds become a problem.

Another big factor is your expectations, If you expect pain meds to relieve all your pain, you will never be satisfied with any dose given. Even the goal for a morphine pump is 50% pain relief. To some folks that may mean the ability to return to work, for others it may mean the ability to stand in the shower without help. Just like a 5 on my pain scale is not the same as a 5 on your pain scale. It's a subjective measurement based on what you have experienced in the past. To someone that has never had surgery or broken a bone having their wisdom teeth removed may be a 9 on their pain scale, to someone that has had 5 operations on their back and a junkyard of hardware, a wisdom tooth extraction may be a 3 on their scale.

Here is a great article explaining the difference between chronic pain and acute pain, opiate selection, and the difference between addiction and dependence and a whole lot more that you should know before starting down the road of long term opiate management.
    Part 1
    http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/07/brook.htm

Part 2
    http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/09/brook.htm

Good luck, Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    dv8er (11-23-2012)
    Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    Actually oxycontin is probably much safer from an addiction standpoint than most of the short acting meds out there like percocet and vicodin.The biggest reason being the fact that OC does not release all of it's contents at one time like the SA meds do,thus you avoid that sudden rush of euphoria that is the big 'attraction" for addicts.this is just strictly my opinion but i honestly think that if more people were actually given something like oxycontin 10mgs for like the usual reasons(teeth issues,painful procedures,you know, the "normal" type stuff where you would get an Rx for pain for usually a few days to months to treat some sort of painful condition?)instead of giving them a potent narcotic like percs or lortab and told to take as needed,usually every four to six hours,that the chances of them actually becomming addicted to those meds would really be much much smaller.OC has an initial relaese of a certain amount of oxycodone,depending on the actual strength of the pill you are taking,and theorhetically(supposed to last 12 hours but normally does not go past 8 at best.but luckily most docs are aware and adjust the Rxes accordingly,mine does)the rest of the contents is released slowly over the next twelve hours.So you never really get that initial "hit" of the euphoria,just a much more subtle 'feeling' of something kind of kicking in.it works alot better than taking a pill every four hours as you aviod completely the ups and downs of having to keep repeating doses when your pain starts to come back.OC really is such a wonderful med for so many of us cp patients and personally it was the first med I tried out of many other narcotics that really helped me to at least get a handle on the overwhelming pain I suffer with 24/7.it has just gotten such a very bad rap from the media because a couple of really stupid people altered the delivery system and ended up ODing on it.This was just the beginning of a long messy ongoing crusade by some really uninformed people who just thought this was the most evil drug ever invented.very sad but true.I really do honestly think that you really need to at the very least ,give this med a try before comdemming it.it really could change your life like it has for so many of us who are suffering from some pretty incredible types of severe pain.do some of your own research on this med(as you should do before starting any new med) and find out the truth on just how great it is.avoid the articles that are just uninformed media crap on the evils of oxycontin.i would definitely give different long acting meds a real good try before having anything implanted.while many of the implanted devices may work wonderfully,there are also just the risks of having the actual procedures with crtain devices that also would require many adjustment surgeries to check lead placements and the ever present possibility of infections developing.i am not knocking the use of these type of devices but if you can take a few pills a day and get at least some good control over your pain,why put yourself through all of the ongoing hassles involved with the devices if you really didn't have to,you know?I too have considered the many options availiable with the stims and the pumps but right now, I kind of have them on the shelf as back up plans incase my meds don't do it for me anymore all by themselves.but DO give the OC a trial run,you may be very pleased at what good may come from it.You wont know unless you try.hope this helps and didn't just confuse you more,lol.marcia

Thank You Marcia....you gave me alot of informative info.... I do have a question, does the Oxy cause constipation?? I have had so much trouble with that with the Methadone and the Vicodin over the last couple years...but I do like the long acting Idea of the Oxy..... Just out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10 pain level what does your pain start at without the Oxy and what does taking it take your pain down from too?? I am usually a 9-10 on a daily basis... If I could be a 5-6 I would be much happier....But thank you very much, I do appreciate your information... it has helped alot.... I had pretty much already decided to tell my PM Doc that I would try the Oxy first.... see how well it helped and then go from there.... I am not up for the implants as of yet....Thanks Alot

TRose

Old 09-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fancylady
    Hi T Rose,
    If your in a lot of pain, what are you going to do? I was given a scrip of Oxycontin and it made me itch all over. I was told later that if I would try taking Benidyril (sp) that it would help. They tell me that most pain meds help. I take Hydrocodone and it works fine, I don't know why the other doc changed my meds. It looks like you got a chooice to make, try the meds OR have the implant done, or live with the pain. Good Luck.
    Blessings,
    Fancylady
    Yes, I am definately in alot of pain 9-10 on a daily basis....I was on Methadone for over a year, have been on Vicodin, tried Neurontin, Keppra, you name it I have tried it.... So Yes, I understand I have a choice to make... I am just inquiring to get some info from others.... but I have pretty much made up my mind to try the Oxy.....because like I said, my doc says he really doesnt want to do the implant yet because of my age.... but thanks for your input...

TRose

Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Hi Wild Rose, Marcia pretty much covered most of the advantages of using long acting meds . It would be pretty radical to go straight to a pump or implant before trying oral meds. Itís a much less invasive method of managing pain. You may even find your insurance company wonít pay for a pump until you have tried oral meds and patches, why go to the most advanced delivery system available if taking a pill works?

The reason they switched fancy lady from short acting hydrocdone to a long acting med was explained by Marcia. No ups and downs, no clock watching, you donít live in 4 hour increments between doses trying to cram activity into the 2 and 1/2 hours a short acting med actually works. Being satisfied with Short acting dosn't mean it's the best way to go. Choosing to live with all the negative aspects of short actng meds is kind of hard to rationalize. As far as side effects, all opiates have side effects, itching is one of the most common and caused by most opiates that create a histamine release, benedryl makes sense. Not switching back to a med that creates the huge ups and downs and is more likely to be abused.

I think your confusing physical dependence with addiction. The easiest way to explain it is that you will become physically dependent on any opiate taken round the clock, whether it's short acting or long acting. Physically dependent just means you experience abstinence syndrome or withdrawal if you stop all meds abruptly. The same will occur with a pump if it runs out and you don't refill it.

What separates the difference from simply being dependent and addicted is the reason for using and the psych factors involved in addiction. I've yet to meet any addict whose drug of choice improved their quality of life, where opiates can improve quality of life in a chronic pain patient. Addicts don't get better from abusing their drugs, they don't function better, there is no positive aspect of addiction.

Physical dependence is just a consequence of using opiates and many other medications. You can't just stop taking antidepressants, especially SSRI's like Paxil. Does that mean your addicted to anti depressants or your body has become used to having the med and reacts to not having it.

Dependence is a price we pay for pain relief when opiates are our only choice. You have to decide if the pain is great enough to except the negative aspects of opiates, like itching, constipation, urinary retention, flushing, sweating, all of these are possible side effects. But if you give up on a med at the first sign of some side effect, you will run through every med available and end up with nothing else to try. Itching, nausea, sweating and flushing ares ide effects that diminish over time or can be treated long before the analgesic effects diminish.

All the Media garbage about oxyC and abuse hold true for almost every med out there that changes your mood or may mask some other psych issue . Benzo's like valum, ativan, Xanax arealso abused but that doesnít mean tere arenít peopl that greatly benefit from these meds. The most abused opiate is actually Hydrocodone because it's not a scheduled 11 drug and docs are more prone to prescribe it for pain. long term use will cause the same tolerance, dependence, addiction and side effects, plus the Tylenol in it will damage your kidneys and liver which pure opiates don't.

Even if the death count is up to a thousand by now from OxyC abusers, that pails in comparison to the 18K people that die every year from over the counter pain relievers. Tylenol poisoning, liver damage, kidney damage, gastric bleeds from NSAID's make a thousand OxyC addicts that have died over a 9 year period look like a pretty small number. Seems to me if they want to take dangerous drugs off the market that kill thousands of people every year they need to start with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. It sounds silly but the statistics come from the CDC and FDA.

There will always be people that abuse whatever is available. Some abuse alcohol, some abuse amphetamines, tranquilizers and opiates. But the number of people prescribed these meds out of medical necessity is less than about 5%. The addiction rate of all substances among the general population is actually higher than the addiction rate of Chronic pain patients abusing their pain meds.

I'm certainly not trying to give a hard sell for OxyC, If you need it , it should be available, but only you know if you need it and only you now if the benefits outweigh the side effects. It is possible the side effects can be more impairing than your diagnosis. If that's the case, the negatives outweigh the benefits and the med shouldn't be used or increased to the point that the meds become a problem.

Another big factor is your expectations, If you expect pain meds to relieve all your pain, you will never be satisfied with any dose given. Even the goal for a morphine pump is 50% pain relief. To some folks that may mean the ability to return to work, for others it may mean the ability to stand in the shower without help. Just like a 5 on my pain scale is not the same as a 5 on your pain scale. It's a subjective measurement based on what you have experienced in the past. To someone that has never had surgery or broken a bone having their wisdom teeth removed may be a 9 on their pain scale, to someone that has had 5 operations on their back and a junkyard of hardware, a wisdom tooth extraction may be a 3 on their scale.

Here is a great article explaining the difference between chronic pain and acute pain, opiate selection, and the difference between addiction and dependence and a whole lot more that you should know before starting down the road of long term opiate management.
    Part 1
    http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/07/brook.htm

Part 2
    http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/09/brook.htm

Good luck, Dave

Thanks Dave for your informative info as well, this is the reason I posted, just to get some insight from others that know about his drug......I have or had already pretty much made up my mind that I was going to try to Oxy.... would be kinda pushing it to go straight for the implants, and I do know that..... as far as other drugs I have taken and the list I have gone through, I had to stop taking them for this or that reason.... Methadone for example I took for over a year, and then started having severe chest pains, shortness of breath.... etc... went to the ER on night thinking I was having a heart attack, they did all the tests, etc. etc.... and the ER doc ruled that it was a build up of the Methadone in my body, and my PM Doc Agreed....Neurontin, I could not take, it made me sick.... just different things like that... itching, I could tolerate, Id just take something for the itching..... but on a scale of 1-10 on a daily basis, I am a 9 or 10 easily... if Oxy can help to possibly reduce that to even at 5,6,7 I could handle that, atleast I would be more functional....but again, thank you for you information, I really do appreciate it....

Thanks,

TRose

Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey TRose, I did want to mention the thing about yorur age. After 3 back surgeries, all of which failed, the last 2 were fusions that failed and hardware broke, I was put on long acting meds, started with oxy, maxed out my script benefit so switched to meth, Oxy is nothing when it comes to drowsiness when compared to methadone. Oxy is in a completely different class of opiates than methadone or morphine, it's a Keto synthetic opiate which tends to be more stimulating than say morphine or meth but may cause more itching, but rarely is the sedation a problem unless you had a recent increase and you simply haven't gotten used to that side effect.

After several years on the same dose of meth I had a small increase which just pushed the side effecst over the edge. I had tried LA morphine sucesfully, but again lack of insurance had me back on meth, tried Duragesic and it simply didn't work so I had a pump implanted last year when I was 38. Treating pain with advance pain control system doesn't have an age requirement. There are testing procedures that include psych evals, and trials of Intrathecal medications. The biggest difference between oral meds and meds deliverd by a pump is pump meds stay in your spinal canal where you have an exponentially higher number of opiate receptors and the opiates stay in your spinal fluid, very little crosses the blood brain barrrier and none runs systemically throughout your body.

For me, meth took most of the joy out of life, it was like living in a gray world where nothing was exciting or stimulating. Switching to IT morphne was like going from a fuzzy black and white TV with no remote , so your never felt like getting up and changing the channel to fulll techniclor digital TV. My head cleared, motivation returned and side effects deminished. Your docs opinion on your age is simply his opinion.

The latest model that is out for the pump came out 1 year ago. It has pretty much the same programming capability and life expectancy of batteries, about 5 years, but the new model has a 40ml resevoir Vs the older model with an 18ml resevoir.

Every doc has their own opinion on using opiates, using pumps, when is the right time etc. I still think you should try the other orals available but do know that there are plenty of docs that would much rather you have a pump than deal with the potential for abuse of oral meds. Pump patients don't draw attn to a PM docs practice the way high dose oral patients do and pumps are virtuallty tamper proof.

The larger resevoir allows 3-4 times more time between refills but you would be looking at having the pump replaced every 5 or so years. They use the same implanted cath as it's still sterile and in tact but the pumps do need to be changed due to battery life. Pump meds are so much more potent because of the number of receptors in your spine, my last oral dose of LA morhine was 600 mgs a day, my last IT dose of morphine was 12mgs per day. Why he isn't interested in implanting another 35K pump every 5 years is beyond me but sounds like it's still an option should Oxy, morphine or Duragesic not work.

Pumps are not cure alls, I still use BT meds when needed but they can be a great tool if the side fects of orals become too much. . Ther really is no ceiling on the amount of any pue opiate you can use, just a ceiling on side effects you can tolerate. I used 120 mgs a day for over 2 years and the last 4 months I was at 150 but the side effects made the decision very simple to go ahead with the pump trial and eventually implant.

Every doc will have a different opinion and if you find Oxy doesn't work or morphine doesn't, I'm sure you can find another doc willing to do a pump trial if you wanted to pursue that option. There is no negative aspect to long term pump use, no more than long term oral use. So your age sounds like some rationale that he's using to steer you towards the method he's most comfortable with. Does he even do pump or SCS implants and management or would he have to refer you to someone else.

The type of pain also makes a difference when determining whether a pump or a stim would be the beter way to go. If the bulk of your pain is nerve pain like leg pain from a compressed or damaged nerve, the SCS is usually the way to go, If your pain isn't primarily neuropathic than the pump is usually the device of choice. But by all mans try the orals, if they works great, if OxyC doesn't . You still have choices for orals or duragesic, Oxymorphone SR will be available in the next year or so and once you exhaust the oral options than you can still do an implant trial. Whether your 38 or 43 really doesn't make much difference.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-28-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hey Dave... Actually Yes, my Pain Management Doc does do that Pump and SCS implants.... you spoke of what would be better depending on the type of pain, my pain is due to "Nerve Damage" of the S1 nerve root, my Neurosurgeon told me that he had to cut away so much scar tissue that had formed around the nerve to protect it as he put it, because it was being compressed so badly, and for such a length of time, so he said when he cut away at the tissue it damaged the nerve....All my pain was originally on the right, but has progressed to the left as well, from my lower back to my hips, legs and both feet....most days I can not even tolerate for my feet to touch the floor.... I also suffer from "Restless Leg Syndrome", Which is why they put me on Klonopin (2), also to help work with my Ambien (2) to help me sleep, I also take Zanaflex (2)....I take all these at bedtime, and during the day, they have me taking Advil..... Aleve... or.. Naproxen......which does NOTHING! My EMG also shows the nerve damage, which my PM Doc referred to in my EMG Report on my visit on Monday with him....... as far as the age thing, I am really not sure about that either, but I do know that he has on more then 1 occasion said "I really dont feel you are a canidate for a pump or stimulator implant because you are so young. and prefer not to do anything that permenant on someone so young." But I suppose I will go to this appoint today with him at 4pm with my partner and we will talk with him at length as he wanted.... see how productive this appointment is....... Thanks!

Trose

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 09-28-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
    katkat
    Inactive
    (female)

katkat HB User

I never got any rush just dizziness, sleepiness and nausea until my body got accoustom to narcotic pain relievers. I was on them for two years and I am going through the weaning process to get off right now. I hate the side effects of these drugs.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
    peggyblue
    (female)

peggyblue HB User

Hi TRose, I made the choice after years of pain meds to do the neuro stimulator device. The trial was wonderful, I was pain free for the first time in years. Thus I made the decision to go with the neuro stimulator last year and haven't regretted it a bit. Check out stopthepain.com (Jerry lewis' testimonial). It was Mr. Lewis and his TV appearances that convinced me I wanted to discuss this with my doctor. He sent me to a pain management specialist who gave me a very thorough exam and asked me to select which I would prefer to have gone, the back pain or the leg, abdominal and foot pains. My choice was the right one. Had I chosen the other, he would not have done the implant. Instead of severe sciatica in both legs, I am now almost totally pain free on one side and have had the pain significantly reduced on the other. A combination of Kadian and Baclofen enables me to sleep at night without the leg cramps and etc I had before. I do not regret my choice.

With the intrathecal implant, there are medications other than morphine that can be put in those and they drip into the nerve roots constantly to relieve the pain. You might want to consider that later, depending on your condition. I would recommend the Medtronix neurostimulator stongly however, to anyone with back pain/leg pains to an extremely severe degree.
    No longer bluepeggy.

Closed Thread