It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Running short on meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User
    Unhappy Running short on meds

Hello everyone.This is my problem. I just started thinking about my meds and what happens when I run out. That happened last month because w/c has denied paying for my meds now and I have to get them from Mass. and they turn around time is like a week because they need to have the prescription for the percocet in hand before they can fill it. The neurontin they can have faxed. Anyway last month I went 2 days without the percocet Not a good thing to happen. even though the neurontin haas helped a great deal with the nerve pain the percocet is needed for the neck and back pain. Anyway trying to figure out why I run out I started reading the bottles and on the percocet it says 1 every 4-6 hours. I have been taking them every 4 hours sometimes I can go 5 but the doctor told me to never let the pain get ahead of me. I don't think I could wait 6 hours but back to the problem, she only wrote the precription for 150 pills. So if i'm taking them every 4 hours I am short 30 pills every month. So why write every 4-6 if you don't give enough to last the month. why not just say 1 every 5 hours.I go back on the 6th so I will ask why she says 1 every 4-6 but doesn't give me enough if I were to take every 4 hours. She knows the type of pain I have had for the past year. and she knows I don't abuse the pain meds. She had me on oxycontin and it didn't do any good so I told her to stop giving it to me. If I wanted to abuse it I would have just let her keep giving it to me. Anyway has anyone else had this problem before or am i the only one.
    Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Running short on meds

Hi Terri, This is a common problem, It can easily be solved by having your doc change the way he writes the script and increase the quantity. When the script is presented to the pharmacy, a days supply is calculated for the insurance comapany based on the number of pills and the way the meds are to be taken.

There is room for interpretation. 1 pill every 6 hours would be 4 pills a day making the 150 pills last 37 days. Most states won't allow more than a 30 day supply of a class 11 opiate. So The pharmacist is using the 30 day rule and calculating 5 pills a day, she's basically splitting the difference between 4 and 6 hours. 150 pills is still a 30 day supply allowing you 5 pills a day. Often pharmacist will do this thinking that you will be sleeping at last 6 hours a day and with the quantity divisable by 30, it seems fairly clear it's a 30 day supply.

If the doc wrote the script for one pill every 4 hours that would be a 25 day supply, is this what the doc intends? Have you asked him if this is a 30 day supply or a 25 day supply. I would tell he pharmacist that you need to take the percs every 4 hours and you do wake in pain and need them around the clock, You need to tell your doc the same thing and have him adjust the dose. But if the Day supply is listed as 30, your insurance may not pay untill the 30th day. It's not that the pharmncist is trying to hurt you or rip you off.

By the quantity prescribed it sounds like the doc expects 150 pills to last 30 days, if your unable to make them last 30 due to the need to take 6 a day, he needs to increase the quantity dispensed to 180 pills a month. Filling a script early or this type of misunderstanding can lead some docs to believe you taking too much or not as directed although the way it's written you would be out in 25 days if you took 1 pill every 4 hours.

The doctor needs to be more precise when prescribing class 11 meds or he will have problems with the pharmacies wilingness to fill the script on the 25 day or may have a problem with the DEA wondering who is determining how much you take, you or your doc if you continually refill meds early based on that day supply calculated by the pharmacy and miscalcuaulated by the doc.

You need to clarify this with your doc and explain it the way I have explained it. If you need a pill every 4 hours you need it written for 180 pills to be taken 1 every 4 hours as needed for pain.

It's not the pharmacy, it's the way your doc is writing the script. Will he allow you to refill every 25 days or does he expect you to make 150 pills last 30 days. If it's a 25 day supply then he simply needs to write it for 1 pill every 4 hours/ same quantity. But it's obviously something you two need to be on the same page about. Something as simple as a misunderstanding can get you labeled an abuser, rather than that happening gmake sure your clear what his expectation is. If it's a 30 day supply you need to cut back to 5 pills a day somehow.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 10-05-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
    dmaloy
    (female)

dmaloy HB User

I too have an issue with running out of meds. I have a dics issue in my neck and have been on Norco 7.5 and flexerl for almost a year now, I get 30 tablets and the bottle says to take 1 three times a day, which only lasts 10 days but the dr will only fill them every 15 days. Go figure that. If they think I'm getting addicted then change the meds to something else. And if I'm abusing them don't they think I would go else where to get more or something else, Im having sugery on my neck and arm on the 27th of this month and I'm wondering what they will do for pain med's if needed after the surgery, as they say the surgery will stop my disc from getting worse but they can not say if I will be pain free. What is a person to do when they are a pain whimp? Also the doctor knows that I have a high resistence to drugs and a low resistence to pain. Pain meds do not put me to sleep and I have a real battle with sleep as I wake up in bad pain due to neck, If only I could sleep one night or even 4 hours with out pain. Maybe soon....

Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Thanks Dave, I didn't have a problem until w/c stopped paying and I had to start gettiing them from another state. I would always have 1 days worth of pills when I went to my monthly appointment. Now it takes a week once I have my appointment until I get my meds.and I havent taken any more then before. I make sure I don't take too many by putting the pills in a pillbox. I have the times written on the side. My memory isn't very good on the meds. When I start feeling the pain I take the pill trying to go the 6 hours sometimes I have a pill left in the box at the end of the day and sometimes I don't. I always wake up at around 4am in so much pain it takes awhile before I can fall asleep as you can see by the time of my post. then again at between 8:30 and 9am I wake up because in my dreams i'm feeling the pain. and the day goes from there I try to make them last as long as I can. I go to my doctor tomorrow maybe we can fix this problem or try something different. I take percocet 10/650 and neurontin 600mg 3 times a day.
    Terri

Old 10-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

What an interesting topic. Its always been my understanding that if you were written for 1 every 4-6 hrs , it was calculated for every 4 hrs. That would mean 180 for 30 days. But, I've also never seen a script written for such a high quantity. I am not saying it doesn't exist, but from my experience I've never seen it.

Last edited by Amsterdam; 10-05-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I think that my doctor has wrote it for 180 a month for the past year because I take the same amount all the time except when she had me on the oxycontin with the percocet for breakthru pain but the oxycontin didn't work and she put me on the neurontin and the percocet. I was doing ok until they started filling it from another state. maybe they fill differently. thats ok if thats what it is and the doctor can word it differently. All I know is last month I went 2 days without and I went thru hell, I couldn't sleep if it weren't for having the neurontin for the nerve pain I don't think I could have made it. I was ready to go to the ER. I just wish w/c would go ahead and approve the surgery so I can get some relief. They haven't done anything to help me. My doctor has asked for all kinds of treatment that might help but they don't listen to her. Wish me luck tomorrow with my doctor.

Terri

Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

you weren't given the generic OxyContin were you? That would explain it not working. If you were given the generic version of OxyContin it won't work....that I can tell you for sure.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Hi Amsterdam. Yes it was the generic for oxycontin,I was taking 60mg and it didn't do anything for my pain. I still couldn't sleep thru the night. I was affraid at first at taking it because of all that you hear about oxycontin. I just stopped taking it when she gave me the neurontin and I didn't have any problems going off it and I had been on it almost a year. I even asked my doctor if w/c was only approving sugar pills.LOL they didn't change the way I felt at all. Maybe she can prescribe brand name only and I might be able to sleep thru the night. and maybe I won't need the percocet as often. Also I have heard that taking too much percocet over a long period can hurt your liver. I need to also ask about that. Well I need to get ready to go to the doctors. And with this tropical storm coming thru it has been raining all day
    Terri

Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hey Terri,
    Yes, too much Tylenol (which is in Percocet) can damage your liver, if taken over a long period of time. Maximum dose per day is 4,000 mg. If you're on it for a long period, I think they say about 2,800 mg of apap is advised.

For Amsterdam: If you've never seen a script written for 180 Percocet, I have a better one for you. I'm on Methadone (10 mg), 180 mg per day. That works out to 540 tabs per month.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

To everyone who is interested:

Concerning large amounts of Schedule II opiates prescribed on a regular basis for chronic pain, my Mother (Mother and Father--or Mom and Dad, etc.--should always be capitalized out of respect and honor for their position[s] in life!) is Rx'd and uses 200 2mg tablets of levorphanol per month (yes, two hundred). She also uses several other significant opiate-type combinations that assist her pain management. Bluntly...I am caring--less and less--about what others think about this issue. If these medications make her suffer less, then more power to her, her prescribing physician, and these medications (in general). I also suffer from chronic pain due to Lupus, so I am in full support of everyone who needs these various opiates.

OK...I'm done this time. But, boy...it felt GREAT to vent!

Take care, my friends.

Jon

Last edited by conductor; 10-06-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello everyone, Well I went to the doctors today and my doctor was out sick and the doctor taking her patients said she didn't feel comfortable writing my prescriptions so I have to go back next week so now i know I am going to run out. Because if I sent them out to the pharmacy in MA today i might we short pills and now that I can't get in until next week I know I will be out for about a week. I guess the ER might be my only option if it gets too bad.

Terri

Old 10-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

Terri- The generic OxyC is worthless, period. I've never experienced such a difference in generic to a brand in my life. There are a couple recent topics that go through the details of what I just experienced with the generic crap.

As for the quantity of CII. I didn't intend to say that getting a large quantity was bad, I've just never seen it before. I really haven't got good PM treatment yet, so it could happen with me and I wouldn't mind as long as there is a relief from the pain. I'm dependant, so it doesn't matter if I get a pump to deliver my needs or a 5 gallon bucket, I will take whatever is necessary with the least possible side effects.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terri43
    Hello everyone, Well I went to the doctors today and my doctor was out sick and the doctor taking her patients said she didn't feel comfortable writing my prescriptions so I have to go back next week so now i know I am going to run out. Because if I sent them out to the pharmacy in MA today i might we short pills and now that I can't get in until next week I know I will be out for about a week. I guess the ER might be my only option if it gets too bad.

Terri
    That is not right, you should not be forced to go without and possibly into w/d's (withdrawls) because your doc was sick. Was the doc you saw the one covering for your doctor, or just another doctor at that same practice. Whoever is covering for your doc should be able to look at yourrecords and see what you are taking. I'd call first thing in the morning and tell them you cannot just go without until next week. I wouldn't settle until they at least gave you enough to last until your doc is back. good luck.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Terri...That's the thing to do. Amsterdam is right. Ask for a week or 10 days supply script to get you by until your other one arrives from MA. Fill it locally, even if you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Explain the situation to your doctor and tell her you really don't want to face withdrawals.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

I've been through this situation, my doc goes on vacations almost every month.

I had to go into the ER when I ran out because he told me I had to make a 30 day supply last 33-35 or so days.

When I was in the ER the doc would not give me my prescribed med , OxyContin 20mg TID even though I had the bottle with me with one left in it. I was in w/d's and almost within 30 secs of being there he said I can give you 10 vicodin.
    I said that was not gonna help. He called the doc taking the calls for my doc, and was only given 15 Vicodin ES. I wasn't happy, but I had no other choice.

Its just not worth going to the ER for meds when your a CP patient taking opiates, you'll be labeled a "seeker" and you'll be lucky if you get anything.

The only thing an ER is good for is saving your life, other than that they are pretty much worthless.

Last edited by Amsterdam; 10-06-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Closed Thread