It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Lyrica-- New Nerve Pain Pill

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #31
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
    Re: Lyrica-- New Nerve Pain Pill

There's a lot more options to try than opiates and I would suggest that Lyrica could be one for you to try. I'm suprised that you haven't tried Neurotin before given you addiction concerns?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #32
    witchesway13

witchesway13 HB User

Well...Let me put this all into perspective. I am still in pain. I was having killer muscle pain in my legs, arms, and back. The muscle spasms in my legs and arms are pretty much gone. However..my back is still in alot of pain. I have looked into the reasons(xrays, mri's, asking questions, like...Does osteoporosis cause pain, should i still be having residual pain from the surgery-6 months later)and they say it is neuropathic pain. So, i am think it will help some people immensely, and me definately on some of it. I also am on Baclofen for the muscle twitches. My advice, TRY IT!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:28 AM   #33
    buzzer09
    Veteran
    (male)

buzzer09 HB User

Well I don't have any options except for what the doctor gives me as far as medications are concerned. I go to a pain management clinic, they are more into managing the pain as opposed to fixing the problem, if there is a fix

Old 11-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #34
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Hi- I am usually on the back pain board but I wanted to see if anyone else was taking lyrica. I have been on it now for about 4 weeks. I take 100mg 3 times a day. I was told to start out slow and build up to that amount. My pm also explained that it is for nerve pain. It has helped a lot with that. It does not take care of the pain that I get from soft tissue injuries. I take naproxen for that.
    As for side effects I may have gained a couple of pounds but it is a great trade off. I am sleeping much better. It seems like I could lay down and go to sleep at anytime but yet I am more alert. I had tried neurotin before the lyrica and it was really bad. I couldn't even think a clear thought let alone speak one. I don't have any of that with lyrica.
    If you haven't tried it I would say give it a shot. It works for me.
    Tirzah

Old 11-04-2005, 01:53 AM   #35
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I'm going to get some perscribed today, I've come of the Neurotin now and the pain is up with a vengance and so I am sure it's worth me trying Lyrica now, especially given the feedback I've heard on this.

Regarding doses I was on 1800mg Neurotin a day and my PM doc wants me to titrate up to 300mg twice a day of Lyrica. Maybe that stands as a gauge of the comparative dose between them....

Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM   #36
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Blasterboy I think you are about right. I have been told that lyrica is twice as strong as neurotin.
    Tirzah

Old 11-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #37
    Gabe30
    (male)

Gabe30 HB User

Hey Tizrah!

How much weight have you put on since being on Lyrica? I've put on 5 pounds so far and I've been on it for 5 weeks. That's the only downside to it. I've heard other people have put on more weight than I have. I do a lot of cardio workouts but I'm going to have to be more strict now on my caloric intake.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #38
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I've just taken my 1st dose of Lyrica now, hope it works real good and that I don't pile the bls on, I'm really sensitive about my weight. Only time will tell......

Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #39
    DomNakita
    (female)

DomNakita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mngirl
    I was taken off of it on Monday (10-17)...I couldn't eat a THING! Still can't. I've lost about 12 lbs.

My dr. thinks that it was the Lyrica along with my Lamictal.

~Lisa
    Lisa,

how have you recovered? does your dr still think it was the Lyrica? have you been put back on it? and if so with what results?

Please let me know.
    --
    DomNakita

Old 11-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #40
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Hi Gabe- I think I have put on about 4 lbs. I really can't do very much exercise except now that the nerve pain isn't so bad I find that it's easier to get up and go to the frig..I think it is more from boredom and I need to find something that I can do to take my mind off food. I don't even feel hungry but I eat.
    Tirzah

Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #41
    pedden
    Inactive
    (male)

pedden HB User

My doctor started me on the Lyrica 75mg 2X a day. I am also taking Duragesic 50mcg/hr which I change every 3 days, Loricet 10/500 4X a day PRN for BT, and also Xanax 1 mg 4X a day. I havent noticed any benefits or disadvantages to the lyrica as of yet. But just so you know I was taking the Cymbalta before this, and it seems to be the same to me so far, but its hard to tell with constant pain anyways!!!

Old 11-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #42
    warpman
    (male)

warpman HB User

Is Lyrica better taken twice or three times a day? It can be taken either way, according to the literature I've read. I'm taking it twice a day - more convenient, but no relief so far.

Remember that this med, like neurontin, is metabolized in the kidneys, so those with kidney problems may have to take lower doses of such meds. Look it up on the web, and speak with your doctor to be safe.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #43
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

I take lyrica three times a day. I can tell when I need to take it. The tinging and pain in my leg starts to bother me more. I am still taking 100mg three times a day.
    Tirzah

Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #44
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I'm up to 300mg twice a day and pain is still the same, in fact I'm having an awful day so far; only been on it for a week, so I wont pass judgement yet :-)

I must say that getting to that highish dose was very easy in comparision to Neurotin, much less dizzyness and foggy mind and not much sedation, certai nly not that I'm distinctly feeling. It seems so much cleaner and I feel much more content to be using this than Neurotin.

My doctor says my trial on Lyrica should only last a month, hope it works as I don't want to be trying the more sedating drugs that he's next recommended :-(

Last edited by Blasterboy; 11-10-2005 at 06:54 AM.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #45
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Blasterboy- I just had my lyrica refilled yesterday. I read the info that the pharmacist puts on the receipt and it said that sometimes it takes one to two weeks before you feel the effects.. Hang in there and hope for the best.
    Tirzah

Closed Thread