It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Methadone Dose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Methadone Dose

I've been on my current dose of Methadone for over two years. I'm at 60 mg TID or 180 mg per day. I have always considered this to be a pretty high dose, until today. I read on another site where someone was at 400 mg per day. I thought most Heroin addicts were put on Methadone at about 100 mg a day. I don't have anything for BT pain, but I do take my Meth throughout the day, rather than three 60 mg doses.

Can anyone tell me what is considered a high Methadone dose or what you are presently taking? I'm guessing it's like other meds and there really isn't a ceiling for Meth, it's what an individual can tolerate

Thanks everyone..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Methadone Dose

Hi Director, I wouldn't worry about the number of mgs, I know someone taking 600 mgs a day, you may be takeing 3 times what somene else is and there are people taking 3 times what you are.

I do remeber when I was initialy doing my research on meth and digging through all the meth maint info, that many states did have a cap of 100 mgs a day for addiction maint, some maint patient wanted to petition their states to have that changed to suite their higher needs. Who ever made that decsion didn't forsee the DEA turning their main focus from controlling the flow of illegal drugs into out country shifting to preventing drug diversion and policing our doctors and their chronic pain patients.

A doc prescribing too much Oxycontin or to the wrong patient or to people that might sell or abuse it wasn't even an issue 10 years ago as OxyC wasn't available. The purity and availability of Heroin has risen and you have addicts using more because it's cheaper and stronger heroin then ever, requiring larger maint doses of methadne. I have read about heroin maint being larger than 100 mgs in some states since my initial research in 2000.

Please don't compare your use to what is requird to prevent an addict from going into withdrawal. It's two completely different pharmokenetic responses to methadone and a completly different use for this medication. MMT has nothing to do with pain, it's completely about preventing withdrawal.

I was using 150 mgs per day when I had my pump put in. Your dose being 20% higher than mine realy isn't something I would call huge. Don't be discouraged if nobody here posts a higher dose. When I was titrating kadian a nurse told me my dose was high at 400 mgs, but I was miserable and told her I didn't care if it took 600 or 6000mgs and to bring my doctor in. I couldn't live or function with the level of pain I was at. If you can't function on less, then the point is really mute. It's just a number.
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 10-14-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
    Jack Saturn
    (male)

Jack Saturn HB User

Howdy Mr.Director, Hope all is as well as can be expected in the ever-so-lively World of CP'ers.Don't that show some irony?I mean,here are tons of Super People,dealing with daily,ongoing,even agonizing hurt and misery and told mostly by our Dr.'s to"Take your Meds I gave you ,as written,and try and get plenty of REST.Not hardly.We must go here and there to se so and so and go get this filled and get that filled and ,well,you know,but anyway,how is one suppose to rest when they cannot?I KNOW!! I'll ask ShoreLine Dave!!
    BTW,Dave,I never got a confirmation on my "request". (In another time,at another place,there dwelled a feller named"66",from the Va.Beach area.)
    It's the eloquent and correct forms of writing,informative,fact-filled replies and such,that remind me more of this guy from Va.Beach.But,then again,you may not be him(?)
    There's one question I have,Mr.D.What are you meaning,exactly,by"I do take my Methadone throughout the day,instead of three 60 mg. doses."Just time-wise,mostly.Here is a very controversial one that I sure would like to see some good readin' onoes Methadone cause Depression(or exacerbation of existing Depression)?
    I have been on 100-120 mg.Methadone daily,max.Over the past several mos.,I,ve got down to 50 mg.daily.I can tell I have more drive,energy,ambition,libido,strength,al l them Man-qualities that make up a Productive Man,one that can support a family(in my case).The higher the Meth dose,the worse it all seemed.Has anyone felt like this on Methadone?
    Dave,I'd like to hear what kind of info and take you got on this,if you don't mind.Thanks to All,God be with All.Jack Saturn

Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Jack, I am DaveC66 in Va Beach,I changed IS providors and couldn't recover my password after having to recover my system, hence the change in name. Sorry I didn't remeber you asking, I'm not always great at going back and reading every thread to it's conclusion, so I do miss a few things.

I need some time to answer your question or it sounds like I'm talking in circles. Low T levels can be a side effect of mediciation or a symptom of something completely different, like pituritary tumor or testicular cancer.

Just like depression can be the cause of symptoms or those feelngs we associate with depression may be symptoms of another completely differnt cause. For example, Thyroid disfunction will cause many of the same symptoms of depression. A change in hormone levels like low T levels can cause many of the same symptoms of depression.

You can't base the acuracy of the diagnosis on the response to a medication, but lessening of symptoms or side efects due to a decrease in dosage is a pretty good indicator. However, using androgel to increase T levels may resolve some symptoms but mask or prevent proper diagnosis of the cause of low T levels. Pituitary tumor or testicular cancer could be the cause of low T levels and you don't want to miss something like that and merely treat the symptom.

Distinguishing whether the problem is the diagnosis or a symptom is a lot trickier than saying we know meth will decrease your T levels and low T levels will make you feel depressed so lets treat you with androgel and that will resolve your feelings of depression and loss of labido.

You can't use response to a medication to confirm a diagnosis in most cases. It can cause a doc to miss a more serrious reason for low T levels or properly treating depresion.

I'm going to leave it at that for now to avoid the big circle of cause and effect and diagnosis and symptom.
    Take care, DaveC66

BTW, My doc also prescribed meth TID which wasn't nearly as effective as taking the the same number of mgs in smaller more frequent doses. One, I didn't get 8 hours of pain relief from meth and 2 taking larger doses just increased the side efects like sweating, nausea and the cruddy meth blahs. Personally, with meth I don't see the harm in changing dosing schedules as long as the daily mg count remains the same, but using some of the other meds more frequently than prescribed can cause problems with overlap of a timed release delivery system, Like taking oxyC QID instead of TID. You would have periods where your oxy serum levels would virtually double and then fall back . So the need for absolute compliance is a little different when it comes to meth Vs OxyC or any other med that has a dual phasic release system.

Taking oxyC more frequently, before the second release even begins doesn't make sense and can cause tolerance to increase much faster because people only feel relief at those peaks in serum level when the releases from more frequent dosing overlap and their serum levels double. People would become used to the relief they get from the overlap/peak and experience more pain when there serum levels drop, so the need to maintain the higher serum levels becomes a factor in pain relief and tolerance.

With meth you are actually decreasing your serum level from smaller more frequent than prescribed dosing, obtaining better relief and reducuing side effects without increasing your tolerance or need to maintain a higher serum level and still being compliant with daily mg intake is merely using the med the way it works best for you, without creating peaks which become the only time you feel you are getting relief. Meth is a very different animal than oxy.

The only downfal is if you are hopitalized and are used to taking it on a schedule other than prescribed. While hospitilized you will be given your dose at the prescribed interval creating gaps in the pain coverage your used too

Last edited by Shoreline; 10-16-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hey Jack: Sorry I am so long getting back to you. You had asked what I meant by taking my Methadone throughout the day. Well, the script is written saying "take six tablets TID". My doctor told me I could divide it up and take it however worked best for me. So, I usually will take one or two 10 mg tabs about an hour or two apart, whenever I feel I need them. It seems to work better and cover the pain better for me.

I hope that answers you question.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
    Jack Saturn
    (male)

Jack Saturn HB User

I KNEW IT!!! Dave, there were just too many similarities for it to be anyone else. I swear,to this day,I don't recall ever reading Forum Threads by any other "Dave's" that resided "in the state of VA" and dwelt near a "Shoreline".
    How indaworld iz Ya?Last time I caught you, they had gone and stuck a M.Pump in yer back,right? Sounds like you are doin things different(I thought I saw where you had it removed). It is good to know what became of you.
    Another factor on the T levels is, of course,the age of the man.At almost 51,I'm just 1 out of every 2 men over 50.That is what the ratio is.The things you mentioned were quite valid.My doc is actually wondering why my levels are still actin screwy.The biggest problem we face is being without Insurance.I sure will pray that it ain't none of them things!I try and stay as fit as possible,but you never know.Director,I understand what you're sayin.It kinda appears the Doc may even be a bit fuzzy on Methadone dosage directing(many ARE!)Just be careful,you know how it can build up in you.That's all the more reason Dr.'s need to brush up on Opiate dosing protocols,etc.Good-Luck! Jack

Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Jack, Now I'm curious, lets see if I can play Sherlock, Any beanstalks growin in your backyard?
    Take care, Dave

Closed Thread