It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Is there a difference: Methadose and Methadone

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
catnap
(female)

catnap HB User
Is there a difference: Methadose and Methadone

I just read someone's post about Roxanne Methadone and Methadose. She told her new pharmacy to be sure her prescription was filled with the Roxanne brand of methadone. Is there a difference? Seems like I read something about a difference before. Anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Shoreline
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Is there a difference: Methadose and Methadone

Methadose is Mallinkrodts crappy generic, Roxanne is also generic for name brand Dolophine. I took meth for 2&1/2 years and the two time I was given methadose at the pharmacy it caused withdrawal.
My brother was the Quality control and FDA liason for another International pharma maufacturer and I sent 1 10mg tablet to him and he tested the amount of methadone HCL in a 10 mg Meth Tab, It came back at 8.3, 17% less than what is supposed to be in it but that still falls within the FDA guidelines for generic equivelance. If you start and stick with it because you can't find roxanne, you won't know what your missing, but if you start with Roxanne, don't give the mallincrap a try.

This is the article that explains what equivalent actually means and how important it is to be truly equivalent. It discuses how the generics must fall within ranges that are expectable parameters that don't create a large enough change to be clinically significant in the FDA's mind.

[url]http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3015266[/url]

Approval of a generic version of a proprietary drug by the FDA requires demonstration of “chemical equivalence” (similar quantities and availability of the active ingredient in proprietary and generic formulations), and “bioequivalence” (defined by absorption parameters generally falling between 80% and 125% of those obtained with the proprietary agent under the same testing conditions) (2) The use of the –20%/+25% rule is based on a regulatory decision that for most drugs that difference in concentration of the active ingredient in blood will not be clinically significant.
........................................ ...........................

There are parameters for generic testing against the proprietary drug "name brand". The scary thing is, there are no clinical testing or comparison from one generic to the other, just comparison to the proprietary drug. So if one generic company is at the top of the parameter and using +25% and the other is at the bottom using -20% then your talking about a 45% variation.

Only 17% of the polled docs knew what the parameters where to obtain bio equivelance. Pharmacist are no better and they are paid a bonus to push generics due to the GPM.
It's not that all generics are inferior, you just never know when you move from one manufacturer to another. Stick with one and don't make exceptions when it comes to meth and some other meds out there. JMO.
Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 10-24-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
catnap
(female)

catnap HB User

Thanks for the info shore. If I stay on the methadone I will see about getting the better drug. What I want to do, if the new doc will, is go back to duragesic. I had better results and less side effects. The side effects I cannot get used too are sweating and weight gain. I seem to crave sugar; candy, cake, pie, etc., anything sweet. Since this new doc has tried to reduce my methadone intake, which I don't understand why he thinks I can get along on 30 mgs instead of 120 mgs, with norco 10/325 to keep me out of withdrawal. He did this because I was complaining with the side effects. What he should have done was put me on a med equivalent to what I was taking. I am to go back to see him tomorrow morning about what to do. I hope he can come up with something better. Besides the norco cost me $98. which I wasn't prepared for. Good thing I had my mom's credit card with me.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Rrector
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Catnap: Dave is absolutely right when it comes to getting your script filled with Methadose. I've had it myself early on in my treatment with the same results Dave experienced.

Currently I am on 60 mg TID (180 mg a day) and each month when my doctor writes my new script for 540, 10 mg tabs, I have it filled at the same pharmacy. A couple years ago I told the head pharmacist I would not accept anything but Roxanne Methadone. I will not accept Methadose and up until now I have always called about five days prior to my fill date to let them know I will be in on a certain day to have my Methadone script filled. This is to give them plenty of time to order my Meth, if necessary. They have a new head pharmacist and he told me last week, when I called that it wasn't necessary to call anymore. He said he plans to keep 1,000 Roxanne Methadone in stock, so he'll be sure to have enough to cover my scripts and anyone else who might come in to have a Meth script filled as well.

What all this means, is they are taking care of me and they know I will not have my scripts filled with Methadose, as it's not worth walking out of the door with.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
TexasWildRose04
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

I was on Methadose (MALLINCKRODT) Generic of Methadone for 1 1/2 years.... 30 mg 3 times a day.... my body finally got a build up of the med and I had a reaction to it, or atleast is what the ER doc said, and I had symptoms as if I was having a Heart Attack or Stroke......so they weaned me off the Methadose, by putting me on Elavil to help with the withdrawl symptoms and I did fine, I had no bad withdrawl from it at all....

I am now on Oxycontin (Oxycodone) 20 mg 3 times a day... but soon to have that upped because it is not helping my pain.. I have ALOT of break through pain throughout the day.....

Good Luck!!

TRose

Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Lyncat71
(female)

Lyncat71 HB User

HELLO, I AM REALLY RESPONDING FOR HELP AND ALSO TO CATNAP-I HAVE ALMOST THE SAME FEELINGS. I WAS IN A REALLY BAD CAR ACCIDENT FEBRUARUY 11TH,2003. I NEVER DID DRUGS AND ABSOLUTELY NEVER DRANK, I WAS JUST SO TIRED FROM RASING TWO CHILDREN WORKING AND GOING TO COLLEGE FULL TIME. I FEEL ASLEEP BEHIND THE WHEEL OF MY HUSBANDS TRUCK AND HIT A TREE. THE LEAST TO SAY I HAD MAJOR INJURIES TO MY HIP, PELVIS, AND BOTH FEET. I DID NOT WALK FOR 8 MONTHS. MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON DID 7 SURGUIRES OVER TWO YEARS. I WAS ON OXYCOTIN AND PERCOCET TO START AND THEN SHE JUST PULLED ME OFF THE OXYCOTIN AND KEPT ME ON PERCOCET. WHICH TO SAY ABOUT THREE DAYS AFTER THE OXYCOTIN WAS NOT IN MY SYSTEM, I HAD FIERCE WITHDRAWL FOR ABOUT A 5-7 DAYS. I HAVE CHRONIC PAIN ESPECIALLY WHEN IT RAINS/COLD WEATHER, SO I FINALLY AFTER TWO AND A HALF YEARS-WENT TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT FACILITY. THE DOCTOR PUT ME ON 10/325MG PERCOCET 3 TIMES A DAY AND 40MG DISK METHADOSE -60 A MONTH-TWO TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED. I HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE OF THE PAIN AND DEPRESSION WHEN I FIRST STARTED SEEING THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR I ONLY WEIGHED ABOUT 135 POUNDS ON MY 5FT9INCH FRAME. HE DID NOT WANT TO SAY WHAT HE TELLS ME NOW, BUT, HE THOUGHT I LOOKED SICKLY AND ANEROXIC, NOW AFTER BEING ON THE METHDOSE FOR 5 MONTHS I HAVE GAINED 38 POUNDS AND I JUST WENT TO SEE HIM THIS WEEK-(I SEE HIM ONCE A MONTH) AND NOW HE TELLS ME I HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND I ASKED HIM IF IT HAS TO DO WITH THE METHADONE AND HE SAID NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. THAT IS THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IN MY LIFE. AND YES, I DO CRAVE SWEETS, BUT, I ONLY EAT ONE MEAL A DAY~HELP. I HAVE NEVER BEEN OVER 145 IN MY LIFE, EXCEPT WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY TWO CHILDREN AND MY HUSBAND AND DOCTOR LOVED IT WHEN I GAINED WEIGHT AND WAS AROUND 155-160 BUT, NOW I HAVE TO LOSE LIKE 10-15 PDS. THANKS lyncat71

Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
mpvt
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

What sort of exercise do you do on a regular routine.Eating once a day is not good as you tend to put on weight because your body everything you put into it because your only eating once a day.If your not exercising then start out by going for a walk in the morning and then again after supper and stay away from the sweets.Good luck....Dave

Closed Thread