It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ms Contin Vs. Methadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
    shay01
    (female)

shay01 HB User
    Ms Contin Vs. Methadone

Hi,
    I take 10/500 lortab for my pain. Been on it almost 10 yrs. My PM dr put me on Mc contin 15 mg/2 day. I didn't feel any relief. So they deceided to up it. But I was feeling weired and severe stomach pain so I stoped it. Today he put me on Methadone 10mg. I have never taking this before. And honestly I'm scared of taking it. Also I don't want to get addcited to it. I'm reading everyones post and seems to work well. Isn't MsContin & Methadone the same? So wouldn't I have the same reaction to the methadone. I still haven't got it filled I'm nerverous about it. So i'm taking my lortabs for my pain. Please any advice about Methadone. I don't know what to do
    Shay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
    Chaddyfriend
    (male)

Chaddyfriend HB User
    Re: Ms Contin Vs. Methadone

i have only a lil advice i can offer. MS contin is a longer acting morphine, but not as long as avinza. Methadone it completly differnet. I have never taken it so i cant comment on that, but they are definityly not the same., and i know MS contin is a veison of morphine.but i hear that methadone works great and lasts a very long time, like all day. And u should get off those lortabs if ur dr. is telling u too, use them for ur br pain if u absolutly have to. antoher good thing about the methadone is that u wont go through withdrawles for the lortabs. Do ur best to not self medicate with them either. goodluck!

~chadd
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Shay: No MS Contin and Methadone are not the same. Morphine is an natural opiate and Meth is a synthetic. I'm on Methadone and have been for over two years. It's an excellent long acting drug for nerve pain and it has a long half life. I'm taking 180 mg per day (60 mg TID) and no breakthrough medication.

Starting at 10 mg per day is not unusual. After about five days, your doc should raise the dose to probably 20-30 mg and keeping titrating up until you reach the point where the med is covering your pain. Increases are not needed near as often as other meds (like Lortabs) and you get 24 hour coverage.

Give it a try. I think you may be pleasantly surprised and get very good pain control with it.

Last edited by Rrector; 11-04-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Shay - I have been on almost every form of long acting narcotic medication for pain. They all worked to some degree or another. It wasn't until I was given Methadone that I really experienced relief from my nerve pain and my 24/7 aching/stabbing pain. I started out on 20 mg. 3 times a day. Because of several surgeries and increased pain, I'm up to 180 mg per day but plan on titrating down slowly. I have read that there are side effects from taking Methadone, but I've never experienced any of them. So, I guess I only have good things to say about the drug. It leaves me with a clear head....not drowsy or feeling "spacey". I hope it helps you as much as it is helping me. KathyMac

Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I will add my 2 cents on methadone.Another great thing about methadone is you don't build a tolerance to it like you do morphine.I've been at 400mgs for 2 years and I haven't had to change it.I know people that have been at the same dose for over 10 years.As for the lortabs (they're ****) they are hard on your liver and are to weak for chronic long term pain control.I've been on every opiate there is in the last 25 years and methadone is by the best......Dave

Closed Thread