It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Safe Keeping Of Medication

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
davetheplantman
(male)

davetheplantman HB User
Safe Keeping Of Medication

I am curious where people keep their pain medications located in their homes. I ask because I had never thought of this and just kept them in my bathroom drawer, but now realize from reading a few posts that even well intentioned visitors might be tempted to take such inviting medications. Any thoughts?

Dave in Seattle

Last edited by davetheplantman; 11-08-2005 at 09:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Terri43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User
Re: Safe Keeping Of Medication

I keep my meds in my dresser and 1 weeks supply on my night stand. I don't have visiters so I don't worry about someone in my home taking them. My kids come every other weekend but would never touch them.
Terri

Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Gabe30
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Heh, funny that you started this thread.

I live with my parents and I know my dad has taken a few of my BT med's for his back pain. So I confronted him one day about it with my mom in the room...haha! He admitted to it and got in trouble with my mom. She told him to go get his own pain meds and he has since.

I have about 5-6 bottles of pain meds and muscle relaxants, etc... and I would hide them under my bed mattress, in my closet under clothes and sometimes in my shoes. LOL!!!

But it's really nice now to just to be able to put my pain medication and everything on my bed stand. I always count each bottle once a week just to make sure his sticky fingers haven't been in them. And the worse part is that he is a cop too! You gotta watch those cops.

My dad just got a re-fill of 120# Lortab's. I should go take a few and see if he notices. He hides them in his underwear drawer and it would look really weird if my mom saw me throwing his underwear up in the air.

Take care and hide your meds everyone!

Gabe

Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
duttin
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Dave,

I keep my hi-powered meds locked in my hubby's gun cabinet.I have a drug addicted nephew who was just released from juvinile prison.He use to take his mothers pills for a high.
I have teenage children and his football buddies are here every night they ask if I was opening my own drug store.I told them that I was not becoming a street pharmasist as they referred to it.
This has worked out well.It protects me and the youth that are in my home.

Toni

Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
eaker
(female)

eaker HB User

I keep them in my bathroom (master bath) & just a few in the kitchen cupboard , maybe 1/2 a dozen at a time. Now if anyone I suspect has sticky fingers is coming to visit (like my mom) then I lock them in the file cabninent or in my husbands gun cabinent. It sure is derpressing to have to hide your meds from your family. Fortunately my Dr. believed me (since he knows my mom) the one time I had to go in early for more since I was missing like 20-30 pills. So now I am much more careful.
eaker

Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Terri43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I went to the dollar store and got this neat weekly pill box, it has removable cases and on the back on the main box I write what pills are in each time slot. It makes it easy for me to make sure I take my pills on time and not to forget any. I think I'm going to go get 3 more and when I get my meds refilled I can do the whole month and put the extra weeks in my underware drawer. I think everyone uses their underware drawer to hide things...lol another thing I was told not to keep meds in the bathroom because of the humidity.
Terri

Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
wirry1422
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Safe Keeping Of Medication

I keep my meds (#120 oxycontin 20 mg's per month plus bt meds) in a small fire proof steel safe. The safe has an electronic key pad with a seven digit combination, run by four aa batteries. You simply enter the seven digits and a green light illuminates for five seconds and the lock opens. After five seconds the lock automatically locks again. If you enter the wrong combo twice, the key pad locks out for 30 seconds. If you enter the wrong number three times, it locks out for 10 minutes. It also has a low battery indicator light. And it can also be opened by a key (the keyhole is hidden behind a false plastic plate on front, and is a special round, supposidly "unpickable" lock). I keep the keys hidden far away elsewhere. The safe has two bolt holes in back and two on the bottom. I have had it bolted to a heavy duty nightstand and to the wall behind it. The safe is two by two by two feet and weighs about 30 pounds empty. I purchased the safe brand-new on ebay for about $85 including shipping, and it works marveolously and I never have to worry about visitors taking my meds, and I know a few who would like to.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
OCboy03R6
(male)

OCboy03R6 HB User

very detailed explination wirry lol

Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
Chaddyfriend
(male)

Chaddyfriend HB User

yea, i think i got a good mental pic off that one..lol....

~chadd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:17 AM   #10
kscritter16
(female)

kscritter16 HB User

i went and bought a locking fire box & keep it under my bed, i only keep my duragesic patches in there and my bt meds in my undies drawer. it's a shame we can't trust the people we love and call family

Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Fibbles
(male)

Fibbles HB User

I keep all of my meds (pain, asthma, stomach) in the middle drawer of my nightstand, which is right next to my bed. I put my Avinza in a weekly pillbox on top of the stand and in full view of my bed so I can remember to take them; I forget all the time and have to put serious effort into taking that at the same time everyday. I also keep my Percocet bottle on top of the stand too, so if I need it it's within easy reach.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
mshatch
(female)

mshatch HB User

I just asked my dr about safe keeping of meds during travel. She told me to go by a lock box because if the police stop me they will think I

Old 11-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #13
mshatch
(female)

mshatch HB User

I just asked my dr about safe keeping of meds during travel. She told me to go by a lock box because if the police stop me they will think I AM A DEALER. She said one of her patients got arrested for counting her meds in her car.....go figure.
MsHatch

Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
Drewtn
(female)

Drewtn HB User

Bolted safe. Sounds similar to wirry. I feel so much better now that I have it!!!

Just a reminder . . . meds usually say to keep them away from light and humidity. Bathroom is one of the worst places to keep them. (For many reasons.) Humidity, common place for visitors to easily get to and they are even locked in there with plenty of time to search.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
bethanyg
(female)

bethanyg HB User

I have vicodin, duagesic patches, darvocet and also the doctors put me on Lyrica which also gives me a buzz. My teenage kids said there are kids at school that sell pills like these that they steal from their parents for$10.00 - $20.00 for each pill. That is so sad. Kids also take vicodin and other pain meds and cruch them, so that they can be snorted. Hide your pills if you have kids around. Make sure you know the kids and the parents of the kids that are in your house. I trust my kids and believe that they would never take my pills as they know that I need them, but I still take caution to make sure the drugs arn't available to anyone but myself. It also isn't a good idea to keep drugs in a bathroom drawer or cabinet, because the moisture in a bathroom isn't good for the medication.

Closed Thread