It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Life sucks

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
wfc33

wfc33 HB User
Life sucks

No helpful info in this post, just voiceing my frustration.I went to the new pain dr. today. I walked out and said I wasn't coming back. I've known a lot of doctors in my life and he had to be one of the worst.I'm a new paitent there, OK? I filled out like a 10 page form, front and back,that they mailed to me. I got there early and saw 2 people, paitents of his, go in and come out in like 15 minutes and he did the same to me. I was in the room 10 minutes at the most, he was the coldest, most impersonal dr. I think I've ever seen and I barely finished sentences before he was on to something else.And here's what he wanted to do: I currently take 50mgs of Oxycontin twice a day with Oxycodone for BT. He wanted me to drop to 30mgs Oxycontin and 5 mgs. of Methadone.And cut my monthly script of BT in half. Is this normal? Is this what I have to look forword to with whatever dr. I see ? I guess I should just get used to aching, looks like that's what they want.What I don't get is I thought the whole good thing about Oxy when it came out is that it was safe to take long term. Now,they all seem to want you to cut way back and do other things.Nobody seems to get that I already do lots of other things non-medicine.Streching walking riding the bike.

I'd like to hear from you all. Is what this guy wanted to do right? I believe all of you a lot more than some guy speaking broken english ( he was Cuban/Mexican,something). Oh, and he wanted me to see a phychiatrist.After talking to me for 5 minutes he thinks that.So now I suppose it's all in my head?!? God, everyone I know and all the drs. that saw me knows what caused my leg pain. Believe me, I wish it was.I can't do a lot of things I used to and that's no fun.Besides, I already take Prozac. That was one of the first things my dr. tried.It seemed like no matter how many things they try, they just don't stop. This has been going on for 4 years now. Sorry for the long rant, I'm just reall pi--ed off right now.

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
conductor
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Life sucks

wfc33,

I would have given up a long, long time ago if I thought what you went through was the norm!! Out of the three Pain Management doctors in my area, 2 of them sound like close cousins to the doctor you mentioned. Finally, however, I found an extremely compassionate doctor, who wasn't afraid to prescribe adequate amounts of opiates! Although that doctor moved out of the area, my Internist simply took over prescribing the medications to me. I used Duragesic 75 mcg per month, 1 box (30 lozenges) of Actiq per month (BT), and 100 Dilaudid 8mg every 1 to 2 months (BT).

That may sound like a lot of medication to many people, but it is what helps me and allows me to function.

Now, don't misunderstand. Most of us here have probably jumped through the various "hoops"--like seeing a psychiatrist, a physiatrist, and/or a counselor. You might have to bite the bullet and just go ahead an do these things in order to get what you need.

Ultimately, you will feel better and find the right doctor. This may take a great deal of hunting since so many physicians are terribly afraid of Rx'ing opiates and getting in trouble with the DEA. This makes me furious, too.

Take care.

Jon

Closed Thread