It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

oxycontin vs. ms contin

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
chriztene
(female)

chriztene HB User
oxycontin vs. ms contin

I have been taking oxycontin 80mg 3 x's per day for the past year and am considering switching to ms contin due to the oxy becoming to hard on my digestive system as well as tolerance issues.

What would be the conversion from 80mg's of oxy to the ms contin? Also, can any of you who have switched from oxy to ms contin tell me if the coverage is the same? I am wanting a long acting med which is easier on my system with a smoother coverage for my chronic I.C./pelvic pain..

When I began pain management, I was started on the oxycontin and have not taken any other la medication. The oxy has worked wonderful for me up until the past 4 months. I was recently diagnosed with abdomonal adhesions and feel the adhesions have something to do with the absorbtion of the oxy (time released) medication. I am also on percoset 10/325 for break through pain and am having no problem with them working. (thank goodness)

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could share what has worked as far as a long acting med in managing your pain?? especially those of you who cant tolerate oxy..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
scotty12
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User
Re: oxycontin vs. ms contin

i recently switched from oxycodone to morphine (msc)

the conversion is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2x the daily dose of oxy

i did a 2-1 switch from 90 mg of oxy to 180 mg of morphine and i am getting good pain relief.i think most dr's will start lower.

you were taking a total of 240 mg so most likely the conversion would be in the neighborhood of 270-480

i would guess 120 mg 3x day of MS Contin. would be a good conversion to start with.
some people experience sedation with morphine so dr's start lower and titrate up.i had no problem other than constipation and the pain relief is very good.

it is very different from oxy.i dont feel it kick in or wear off and i dont feel like im taking narcotics .no ups and downs like oxy has when dosed correctly.it is better to start low and use breakthrough meds since you are at a high dose.when the right dose is reached you may not need any BT meds.i have not needed any since i switched.sometimes when i wake up it would be nice but once i get moving and loosen up the coverage is good.

if you switch and still arent getting good pain relief tell the doc.it is important to get the right dose even if it takes a couple of months to get there.

scott

Last edited by scotty12; 11-13-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
chriztene
(female)

chriztene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty12
i recently switched from oxycodone to morphine (msc)

the conversion is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2x the daily dose of oxy

i did a 2-1 switch from 90 mg of oxy to 180 mg of morphine and i am getting good pain relief.i think most dr's will start lower.

you were taking a total of 240 mg so most likely the conversion would be in the neighborhood of 270-480

i would guess 120 mg 3x day of MS Contin. would be a good conversion to start with.
some people experience sedation with morphine so dr's start lower and titrate up.i had no problem other than constipation and the pain relief is very good.

it is very different from oxy.i dont feel it kick in or wear off and i dont feel like im taking narcotics .no ups and downs like oxy has when dosed correctly.

scott
Thank you so very much for your information. Do you find the ms contin is also smoother/easier on your system? Oxy is a great pain med, however, like you said, the ups and downs are very noticable and are extremely hard on my digestive system.

I am curious if the delivery system is the same with ms contin?

Again, thank you so very much, Scott.

~C

Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
scotty12
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

the delivery is quite smooth.like i said i never feel a dose kick in.when i was taking oxy i would constantly allow an hour for it to take effect before activities where i dont have to do that now.i dont have the side effects i had w/oxy like being hot when the levels were high and then cold as it wore off.

i think MS Contin is great (tid).i really would feel different if i was rx'd twice a day as it doesnt sustain a theraputic level for 12 hours but definitely for 8 hrs.

ive heard good things about kadian (q12) and the graphs that show blood concentration levels are the flattest for kadian.it does seem to sustain levels very smoothly,a straight line fpor 8 hrs before it starts to drop.
if it were on my approved meds list w/my insurance i would give it a try.but i cant complain about MSC q8

i dont have any negative side effects other than constipation which is easily managed w/stool softeners,it's just very important that i do not forget to take it atleast once a day.other than that it's a wonderfull med

good luck,feel well,scotty

Closed Thread