It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New doc "popped" my back

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
    catnap
    (female)

catnap HB User
    New doc "popped" my back

When I went to my new pain doc he performed a spinal manipulation on me. I have never visited a chiropractor and have pretty much dismissed them. Well the next day after the visit I woke up after only 3 hrs. sleep that night. I began hurting almost immediately after the did that and was fairly sore for the next few days. I have alot of hardware in my neck and low back, plus other herniated disks. Can I get some input here. What do you think Shore? I don't really think this is a good thing and wonder what kind of response I will get if he tries to do that again and I refuse.

Last edited by catnap; 11-16-2005 at 06:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
    Drewtn
    (female)

Drewtn HB User
    Re: New doc "popped" my back

Just the thought of that makes me shudder. I guess it depends on if they know what they are doing. I would tend to run the other way!! My PC doc wouldn't dare adjust mine.

I just went to see a chiropractor a week ago and he said it would be ok to adjust my neck and he understood my pain . . .blah blah blah . . .yeah well when I woke up after the second day and was passing out from the pain I was quite doubtful. Again I have decided that NO ONE will touch my neck no matter WHO they are!!!! Talk about JUST SAY NO!! LOL

Good luck!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I have had Chiro's, Physiatrists "physical medicine" and DO's crack me even after the fusions and harware breakage, they simply avoid the area that has hardware which is my entire lumbar. I'm extremely hyper mobile above the fusion and it actually feels good to be popped back in place. You may initially have some discomfort but that usually goes away.

Now if a doc is popping your neck and it's been fused, I would certainly refuse. But they are still able to gently pop my SI joints even though I have hardware from
    S1-L1 but they have been able to work around the areas with hardware and provide relief in my upper thoracic and cervicle levels. Nobody has touched my SI joints since the screws began to toggle in the holes in my sacrum.

I'm not sure I would do the pubic synthesis again unless my SI joints were totally out of wack and they couldn't fix it another way. You actually become very in tune with your body and know what areas need to be done after a while.

One of the VooDoo physiatrist/PM docs I first saw loved to pop the pubic sysnthesis and that was always painful afterwards but it would restore even length to my legs and relieve SI joint pain. So you have to weigh the benefit vs the discomfort.

There are more gently ways to make adjutement than the old pretzel benders , but I wouldn't do it if your worring about risk if they seem to be disregarding the fact your fused and not suposed to be mobile or want to mobilize an area directly above or below a fusion. Just bring this up and see what they say. The ultmate decision is yours.

The ones that worked on me always told me to expect some initial discomfort and ice the area once home. I would go get popped today if I didn't know it was something that needed to be done daily or 3 times a week and that's simply not in the budget.
    It's somwhat of a tease when you can do it for 2 months and then have to stop and go back to living out of whack.
    Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-16-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
    catnap
    (female)

catnap HB User

Thanks shore, that answered my question and yes, my neck and lumbar has been fused. The last myleogram showed extensive post surgical changes present in the lumbar region. I have wide laminectomies at L4 and L5 with two paramedian fusion cages at both the L5-S1 and the L4-5 disk. There was effacement of the epidural fat planes at these two levels limiting image detail. Detail was also limited by artifact from the fusion cages. The outlines of the dural sac and the root sleeves at L4-5 and L5-S1 are obscured. Despite the limited resolution, the doc suspected that there may be some sclerosis at the superior part of S1 subjacent to the fusion cages and perhaps some adjacent lucency, possibly gas at the S1 side of the lumbosacral fusion cages. There is focal calcification within the substance of the L3-4 disk but at the time of the myleogram it appeared relatively normal in contour.

I have a herniation at the T-7 level that no one will touch. For that surgery they would have to collapse a lung to get to it. So if the myleogram couldn't show exactly what is going on I don't think I need to let him pop me. That is really scary that your docs popped you and your hardware was broken.

The doc was not gentle. He told me (not realizing what he was going to do) to cross my arms and he walked behind me and grabbed me in a bear hug and lifted up. I crackled and popped like loud Rice Crispies cereal. Even my neck popped. I have had a constant headache since that visit. This was the doc (my 1st visit) that I posted about cutting my meth down from 120 mg to 90 mg per day and gave me norco instead of lortabs. His rectified his mistake and apologized. Anyway I don't believe I should still have the headache and bad neckache. But its hard to tell because of the decrease in meds.

So how did your hardware break? Did you realize it at the time it happened?

Closed Thread