It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Long Term Cronic Pain, Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
    bucky77
    (male)

bucky77 HB User
    Unhappy Long Term Cronic Pain, Help?

I Have Been Asking Questions On Here, And Have Got Really Good Answers, What I What To Know Is Everyone's Input, I Have Cronic Back Pain I Had Sergury 3 Years Ago And They Replaced Dics On L4,l5,s1 And Plates And Whatever, Tryed Methadone For The Last 6 Months It's Works For Pain, But Way To Many Side Effects, So Many That I Cant Work, And Running Into More Problems On This, Twicthing ,forgetting ,sleppy, Seeing Things And My Body Is Getting Weaker, Tryed Oxycontin Before And It Worked Great, But The Dose Keeps Going Up And Up, Tryed D's, Morphine, And A Lot Of Other Pain Kilers, My Pm Doctor Thinks Methadone Is Best For Me, But I'm Having To Many Problems, And They Say There Is Nothing More They Can Do, But Give Pain Killers, So What Would Be Best For Me, For The Rest Of My Life, I'm Only In My Early 30's, And I Think Oxycontin And Meth Would Probly Be Best, But I Dont Know, So Please, Give Me Your Information Thanks,,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Re: Long Term Cronic Pain, Help?

Hey Bucky: I don't know everything about your case, but from what you have told and my own experience, I think Methadone might be the best too. I had the same thing happen that you did with the Oxycontin. My tolerance went through the roof. I was only on it for a little over a year, and I was taking 160 mg TID. Also, I had Oxycodone (Oxy IR) for breakthrough pain.

I'm now on Methadone and have been for almost three years. Once my doctor got my dose titrated up, I haven't had a dose change and I take no BT meds. Sure, there are some side effects, but I'm on Social Security Disability, so I'm able to cope. The one that does bother me the most, is I can't drive for any long distance. I get very sleepy. I have to take a minimal amount of my Meth before leaving and that helps. Once we are at our destination, I can take more and get out of pain usually. I take 60 mg TID or 180 a day.

If I can help with any other information please let me know. Good luck with this.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
    bucky77
    (male)

bucky77 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Long Term Cronic Pain, Help?

Thanks For Your Input, I Will See What Happens Over The Next Couple Of Weeks, I Lost My Job, Because I Cant Work, With All My Problems, And I Dont Know What To Do, I'm In Canada, And Welfare Offered Me 300.00 A Month, Thats Disability, And That Dont Even Pay My Rent, I Pay 100.00 Dollars For 60 45mg Pills, Is That The Going Price, Another Question, Is There A Differences Between Compounded Methadone And The Real Pills, Wait For Someone To Write Back

Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Long Term Cronic Pain, Help?

Compunding is the most expensive way to get your meds, Why not just use what's available whether it'a 10 mg or, 5mg 40 mg diskettes, liquid versions or whatever is available. When I was on meth I was taking 150 mgs a day and that ran me about $60 US dollars. So I think you could likely find a cheaper way to get your meds than compounding or you may possibly qualify for a patient assistance program through one of the manufacturers, Check out the post about Needing help with paying for meds or the Needymeds web site.

Honestly if the pain is so great that you can't work and you need these types of meds, obtaining enough relief to block enough pain to continue to work may not be possible regardless of what med or how much they give you. Like Director, my pain is disabling too. Even with an implanted pump I still can't stand for more than 30 minutes or sit longer than an hour withut having to lie down. PM has it's limits and unfortunately some of us simply can't return to work regardless of what is available and what dose they use.

If reducing your pain results in more impairment than your back pain you may be shooting for an unreachable goal. Perhaps you can look into retraining to find something less demanding if you think that would be possible. We can ask employers not to descriminate and make reasonable acomadations, but I haven't found one willing to allow me to lie down every half hour when my legs start to go and sweat starts dripping from my nose. Nor is that request considered a reasoinable accomadation. I was 35 when I was disabled by the 3rd attempt to fuse me which also failed.

I understand the The problems your facing, but being disabled isn't a choice you make, you either can work or you can't. It has nothing to do with finances, self esteem, obligations or being tough enough to suck it up.

I just have to bite my toungue when I read someone can't afford to be disabled. Who the he## can? It's not a choice. Fortunately I have a wife that can work and combined with my dissabilty income we have adjusted after loosing our home, going bankrupt and learning to live with one car and without cell phones.

Food, rent, electricity and water are neccessities. I don''t qualify for any assitance in those areas but our combined income has allowed us to simply get by pay check to pay check. After drastically changing our lifestyle and simply doing without most things many people take for granted.

It sucks and if my income was only 300 a month we would be homeless or have to move again or live with family. I realize not everyone is as fortunate but you have to do the leg work to see what other benefits you might qualify for. I never thought I would see the inside of a social services building, not that I qualify for anything more than what I recieve from dissability.

Pride goes out the window when you have a child to feed or need whatever help you might qualify for, aside from disability income. I'm not sure what other things you might have available in Canada, like assistance with food, shelter, medical expenses, etc. but you have to look into it when you have no other options if returning to work isn't possible.
    Good luck and welcome to the forum, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-16-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Closed Thread