It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• help, oxy is wierd?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
    expat64
    (female)

expat64 HB User
    dave plz help with question or anyone else, oxycontin is wierd?

Ok, doc took me off the patches after a year and a half, the 50's stopped working 2 months or so ago; and i take oxycodone 30-60 pills for breakthrough as always. they put me on the 75 patches to increase dose and it made my heart beat really off so they put me back on 50's, i needed every single b/t med and more so they switched me from the patch to oxycontin. they started at 40mg every 12 hours a week ago, i was going through withdrawal from that patch so she upped it to 80mg and told me take 2/40's. that was ok for the first couple night i felt weird then it went away, i noticed i had more energy on oxycontin and wasn't on the couch all the time which was a big plus for me. well i had my script filled and i got the 80's like i've been taking for a week now(since she had me double the 40's) but this time i got brand name. They seem stronger. I don't feel like this is oxycodone at all, how is this the same medicine as my b/t? my plain oxycodnes don't make me feel like this? I am freaking out at the moment. I feel really weird again, it's a very creepy feeling. I don't understand why people abuse this med it's awful. I am totally creeped out. IT's almost a scary feeling; do you think if i stop taking it (i'm counting down the 12 hours until it's out of me), do you think if i stop this med tomorrow i'll w/d? I only want my oxycodone breakthroughs and soma from now on. all of these round the clock meds act weird on me. i think my pm office is closed for the next 5 days due to t-giving and don't know what to do. should i just take 1 a day if i take none and then have w/d? anybody else hate this oxycontin stuff?????? oh, it's just awful, i'm going to go to bed and hide under the covers until this is all over. My poodles keep looking at me like I've gone wacko. i've been stressed and she gave me valium 5mg for the first time to sleep, do you think i't s ok to take one tonight with my reaction to oxycontin this way? can it mix ok together while I"m silently freaking out under my covers????? Oh, I feel bad calling the office again, I am lucky to have the best dr in the world. She is brilliant and sweet and I can tell her anything without judgment. It's so wonderful having a doctor that I can be so honest with, she saved my life as far as I'm concerned.
    thanks,
    expat64

Ok..update it's 3.5 hours later: I feel normal again, the odd thing is mypain was under control but mylower back was still throbbing even on all of that oxycontin, my breakthrough oxy's at lower doses/short acting ones work better than these strong things....anybody know how these oxycontins work? pharmasist says oxycontin is so so strong she said stronger than breakthrough, so if i'm on an 80 oxycontin how could that be stronger than takeing 45mg of breakthrough oxycodone every 4 hours, every 4 hours that's 135mg of short acting oxycodone, how is that weaker than an 80mg oxycontin????? i'm totally confused here. why did i freak out like that? maybe that's a strong word, get really a creepy feeling? I just took my breakthroughs and i feel fine, even back pain??? i'm ready to give it all up and not take anything. They don't like me taking only b/t, but they work the best. I wish i could just take those only every 4 hours, I do or have been anyway, I'd just like to not take this oxycontin anymore. I hated feeling like that it was scary. I thought I was seeing things, like the light in my eyes would make tracers or something when I turned my head and I got paranoid.

update: one hour later..ok it's now been 4.5 hours and the oxycontin is pretty much gone and I'm on b/t meds, b/t meds work better, my pain is way better and I feel normal. b/t meds always made me feel ok. Why do medications not last long on me?? it's not tolerance with oxycontin I just started them, I've always been like that I wonder if something is going on with my liver even b/t meds taken every 4 hours only really last an hour and a half tops. I don't get the side effect of a high off opiates, it's wierd, the only time that happens is when I have too much , so it's imporatant to me to take just enough so i still have some pain left because if the pain can be wiped out i get the high feeling and that's no good. my goal is to function like a normal person like i used to be before this disease. my problem is fibro really bad, and probably MS. I'll know about the MS by next month. It's horrible pain. if I quit the oxycontin or just take it once a day like i'll set alarm to take at 3am so i can fall back asleep and not have to feel that horrible feeling again; is that breaking my contract or do I have to keep taking this oxycontin 2 times a day and feel like this until office opens in 5 days? I'd like to just quit and use b/t meds. I wonder if i'll have w/d because i sure did on the patch, the patch has the worse w/d of any opiate i think,...but since i've been off the patch for a week and on oxycontin instead of the patch should it be all out of me and i haven't been on oxycontin long enough for a tolerance but am I wrong????? I'm sorry to burdon you all with this long post, but I need some direction. I just joined this and haven't had a chance to introduce myself and give you all a little bio like everyone does, i'll do that tomorrow. Dave seems really smart from what I've read so it would be so cool if he'd help me out here with his wisdom. for some reason my PM office when closed only says to call 911 when it's not office hours, they don't have anybody on call like other offices. plus i'm afraid they'll think i'm a pain because they've been so great in squeezing me in this week 2 times to help me get off patch and change oxy doses, and now i again am having a problem. thank you.
    expat64

Last edited by expat64; 11-22-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add an update and ask dave to answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Re: help, oxy is wierd?

Hi, oxycotin is time-released oxycodone. I'm taking 60 mg tid. and a few months ago just started the generic version,and i believe the brand name are more effective. I was told,generics are allowed to put 20% less narcotic[in my case,less oxycodone in the oxycotin] in them. When i first started o.c i too had more energy than on my other med.[m.s cotin] 80 mg of oxycotin is strong,generic or not. They are for opiote tolerant peaple.They release the first hr. and the 6th hr[i believe] I think,for example with the 80s its 40 mg of oxycodone the 1rst hour,and 40 the 6th. What ever you do,DON'T BREAK,OR CHEW! that will destroy the time-release,and you can get a leathal dose all at once.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
    expat64
    (female)

expat64 HB User

oh, so that's how they work, they give you half the first hour you take them, then 6 hours later the other half. So, why after taking the 80, and it then gave me the 40 strength right away did it make me feel very freaky and way strong, when my b/t meds are the same medicine oxycodone IR and it's a 45 dose? so, my b/t meds are stronger than an 80 oxycontin, right? I wonder why oxycontin feels stronger...if this is the case i'm going to plan them in the evening to take when i go to sleep so i miss that weird feeling at least once a day. last night i left help messages on my PM voicemail and i told them that I think they are too strong and that i feel "loaded" on them, they called me back this morning on the VM and told me to keep taking them and to give it a few days and my body will adjust to it. Yes, the brand is definitely stronger, way stronger than the generic, this didn't happen on the generic. It still puzzles me why when my b/t meds are stronger why they don't do this to me like the time released version. I'm glad to know it's every 6 hours i thought it was like a little bit every hour. that explains way at 4.5-5 hours lat night after taking it i felt normal again. I still don't believve they really last 12 hours on me though, more like 10 tops. thank you for your response, i hope PM doc doesn't get annoyed with me and my reaction to this and telling them I don't want to feel loaded. I don't want to be a pain for them and have them give up on me. but i'm a firm believer in being honest with your PM doc. example, if this were my GP and i told him I feel loaded, he would've grabbed my bottle away and freaked out.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:15 AM   #4
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

45 mg dose of oxycodone? You must be taking 3 15 mg. And its not stronger,your b.t is imediate release,so,you take 45 mg[3 tid] remember,it doesn't last as long as an oxycotin[time-released oxycodone] another thing to consider,since your base med[oxycotin] is the same narcotic as your b.t med[oxycodone] since there the same narcotic,your tolerance level will shoot up more quickly,because its the same..

Old 11-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
    expat64
    (female)

expat64 HB User

Thank you all so much. Shoreline, your advice was invaluable. I am feeling better now on the oxycontin. You are right I missed my dose by 6 hours and didn't take anything cuz i got freaked out and i felt sick. Now, I think I'm getting used to it. You're right, if i don't give a med a few days to work i'd blow through all the meds and then where would I be? I'm going to take your advice and cut down my b/t meds, those have always worked great on me and maybe psychologically i just feel when i hurt they work best so i've been taking them at my reg dose just because i didn't want to hurt, but now after i'e given they oxy some time, instead of taking my 45 mg, it's 1x30 and 1/2 of a 30 to make 45mg. i'll only take one pill or a half a pill. you're right, if i do this for regular pain what will help me when i have a flare up which i get and they're bad. i don't want my oxy tolerance to go up more either...
    I love your attitude of hey if it's not working today i'm just going to have a bad day, i never did that, it's owww i hurt i need releif, then i always took max dose of b/t, that was before oxycontin, so thank you all for teaching me how to take this........it is so appreciated you have no idea...........
    thank you.......thank you.

Closed Thread