It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Lyrica users

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Lyrica users

Hey, this is kind of an easy post.

It's just a call on all Lyrica users to tell me how it's working for them.

Will start with 150mg/day tomorrow, and was wondering what kind of results you people have seen with it.

Side-effects... etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Re: Lyrica users

So I am to assume that all you CP folks are off Lyrica and no longer taking it?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

I am going to talk to my Neuro. next week about trying it. I have been taking Neurontin for awhile now, I got better results in the beginning, than I have been getting lately. I really dont like how the Neurontin makes me feel, like not thinking clearly, forgetting where I put things, etc..So far I've heard mixed results about Lyrica, in particular weight gain. But I have heard the same about Neurontin and I was still able to lose 15 lbs. with more to go...G/L

Old 01-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
    Lady InPain
    Inactive
    (female)

Lady InPain HB User

HI AVGLENN,
    Have you started the Lyrica yet? I started 3 days ago 75mg twice a day. So far, so good. Pain level is down, energy is up! Good enough for me. Let me know about you?

Lady

Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I will be starting Lyrica in the next week or so. Could you please keep us posted as to how you're doing - especially side effect (weight gain!) problems and whether and when you experience any pain relief. Thanks.

Linda

Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
    catnap
    (female)

catnap HB User

I have been reading about Lyrica and it sounds like something I might try. Used to take neurontin. When I started a 400 mgs. daily dose I started epigastric problems. Had to stop taking it.

But when I see something that says it causes weight gain I balk.

You who have started taking this med, keep us updated!

Thanks,
    Carol

Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I'm so glad to hear others balk at the weight gain thing too. My doctor looks at me like I'm from Mars when I bring that issue up. It's almost like, "you can't be in that much pain if you're worried about your weight - maybe you need a psychiatrist."

So.....I too am scared of the weight gain side effect and would appreciate hearing how others fare.

Thanks,

Linda

Old 01-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I had rapid weight gain on Lyrica although I found it seemed much "cleaner" than Neurotin and in regard to thinking and disposition. I felt quite calm on it also, I reckon it has some good anti anxiety properties. Anyhow it did help my pain, but not enough to bide the weight gain, mainly as I had other Anti seisuze options to try. My current pill is Sodium Valporate and it's giving good pain relief and helping my feel calmer also and most impressively I've got my Libedo back; all the other Anti Seizure meds made my most uninterested in sex! Only problem with the Sodium V so far is that I'm getting Indegestion and when you figure I have post surgery nerve pain from a stomach surgery to correct cronic reflux, I don't know if I can bide heartburn, at least the surgery had fixed that!!! I'll see if this SE settles down, I hope it will.....

Old 01-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

BTW lindawainwright, if there was no alternate to Lyrica and we balked at the weight gain then that would be out of order, but given there's lots more meds in that range that might not cause this weight gain, I think we have cause to bring it up; not everyone gets the weight gain thing though. I think my problem was that I was on Elavil and then Lyrica, both cause sweet tooth cravings and I already had a sweet tooth!!! I think this type of med causes the suger to stay in the blood longer. Maybe someone can clarify that point?

Old 01-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
    catnap
    (female)

catnap HB User

Well the weight gain means a heck of a lot to me. I got around much better at 145 lbs. than at 245 lbs. It increases the pain to be heaving that much extra weight around! I am not at 245 now, but I'm not at 145 either. I weigh more than I should and it definitely has put me into more pain.

I like the sweet stuff too. Don't need any drug that makes me want to eat more of it. I don't know about the drug making the suger stay in the blood longer. Will have to look that one up.

Thanks for the info.

Carol

Old 01-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
    keo2001
    (female)

keo2001 HB User

bulletinboard25: i hope lyrica worked out well for you? how did your body manage it? what about non-systemic pain killers? i know that there are some patches against neuropathic pain, do you know about this or did you ask your PM about it? hope you are doing fine..

Old 01-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

Anymore updates from people taking Lyrica? I'm taking 75mg twice a day, and I "think" it's working (I'm almost afraid to say that). I'm just waiting for the side effect "hammer" to hit. I'm afraid I may be starting to gain weight already. Has anyone had success with this medication? Does the weight gain stop and level out at some point?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
    janied1006
    (female)

janied1006 HB User

HI, I just started Lyrica a few days ago and I am so nauseus?? spelling and feel completely out of out. I am dizzy and drowsy and I may feel alittle better but my legs also feel like jello.. If anyone can give me so idea if this goes away . I am very concerned about the weight gain and the more I weight the worse the pain is. Thanks Jane

Old 02-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I think I may have been a little premature in saying it was helpful. The last couple of days I've been so...........tired and starting to spiral into depression. Every anti-seizure drug I've tried has had that effect on me. It's SO discouraging. Has anyone else been okay to begin with only to have side effects hit later on. I didn't increase or add anything.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
    catsblueeyes1
    (female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
    I had a horrible reaction to this drug, I felt like I was drunk, dizzy and nauseated. I had to stop it immediately. This maybe a side effect
    that I had and for others this drug is great.

Deb

Closed Thread