It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• ulnar nerve impingement in the Neck/questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User
    ulnar nerve impingement in the Neck/questions

has anyone had any problems with the ulnar nerve in the neck. my neck and upper back hurt, shoulders, elbow, and my ring and pinky fingers hurt.

my pinky finger has been curling and was wondering how long i could go before damage sets in.

i had an emg that showed impingement in the neck. i was wondering what the cause could be whether a disc or possibly a spur.

anyone have answers. thanks, jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
    greeneyed girl
    (female)

greeneyed girl HB User
    Re: ulnar nerve impingement in the Neck/questions

Jayboy, you need to find a Neuro, and have an MRI, i have lots of problems with my neck and had 2 surgeries. sounds like you may have both, spurs and disk material, pressing on nerves. Neuro surgeon told me if it is pressing on the spinal cord and you fall or have a car accident you could be paralized. I would find some onE pretty quickly to do an MRI....

Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

oh man. That STINKS.

I had impingement in the elbows-and that was painful.

Now I have demyelination in the elbows-and they don't know why-and it's very painful.

When are they going to do an MRI? Soon I hope. I know that with my impingement in my elbow-pain from my head all the way to my fingers-in the joints - everything-apparently that's unusual...

Are you dropping things yet?

I'm not sure how long it takes for damage to set in-how long have you had a problem?
    I lived with mine impinged for 4 yrs-due to crappy doctors where I used to live--and had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago-had ZERO problems till this new separate neuro problem showed up (it is NOT connected---don't want you to worry about that)....and when they did surgery-my impingement in one elbow was "moderate". No lasting nerve problems...surgery provided almost immediate relief from almost all pain!

Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello Jayboy. I hope you find answers to your problems. You have given me the word I have been trying to find for months. My last 3 fingers are CURLING in I have tried to explain what my hand is doing and now I know. Thanks. I do drop things. I hate having to wash my own hair, I can't keep my arms up long enough to really wash it. and I drop my tooth brush every time I brush my teeth. Sometimes when i'm typing my fingers don't do what I want them to do even though I hunt and peck. Good luck jay. I have an appointment on the 28th with the neurosurgeon that w/c sent me to but I'm using my own insurance. w/c can go you know where. I'm not going to lose my right arm because they want to be jerks. Let the lawyer fight it out and pay my insurance back later.
    Terri

Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
    zephyrqueen
    (female)

zephyrqueen HB User

Hello there Jayboy. I have the exact same thing. Actually I have Osteo Arthritis, 4 small bulges at my C3,4,5 and 6. No nerve impengement on the MRI but my EMG showed nerve root degeneration at the C6/7 level. Along with axonal neuropathy. I also have ulnar neuropathy in my left arm at the elbow. All of this is very painful. The headaches I get from my neck are EXCRUTIATING! Not to mention the shoulder pain you speak of. The fingertips in both of my hands get tingly as well. Sometimes my pinky goes completely numb. Does this happen to you? My EMG also read that I have a tendency to develope problems to the biceps tendon in the left arm as well. Due to the ulnar neuropathy. Neurosurgy told me that from my MRI that everything looks fine. I'm not recieving any treatment for my neck at all. Gotta love the VA! Hmmm......
    I am headed for surgery on my shoulder though. I have OA in my left shoulder too which is causing it to stay impenged. So , that's not helping either. Also I'm currently awaiting spinal surgery. I'm waiting for them to get the funds for my artificial disk. My L-5 is completely gone due to Degenerative Disk Disease.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:57 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I just wanted to mention something.after my spinal cord surgery and ever since,because of the extensive damage to my c 8 nerve(this IS the ulnar correlation)my last two fingers are numb and curling.(as well as my forefinger which really is the worst but from a different nerve)i do think if i remeber what my physiatrist mentioned to me when I went to a follow up appt because all of these fingers were curling on me,after my emg which shows alot of nerve damage espescially to my L hand,that the culing is actually happening because the nerve that supplys those intrinsic muscles is no longer sending signals to the muscles thus without movement,there is no longer and muscle movent to keep the tendons and the ligaments innervated.This does not happen right away,but only after enough time has passes to actually see the results of the non innervation.the muscle atrophy from non use is what is causing the curling.sorry to say.That nerve,unfortunetly innervates alot of the smaller muscles in the wrist and hand.i have completly also lost that normal thumb pad that you all have at the base of the thumb?there is nothing there anymore so it is actually just down to the bone there now and completely flat.unless you can manage to get this area reinnervated,the atrophy may be a permamnent thing.i really did not want to post this to you all,but felt that you really needed to know just what may be going on there.This is just what I was told by my physiatrist that was happening with me because my ulnar is extensively damaged in my left arm.Your problems could possibly be stemming from something totally different but this is just my problem and the way things are with me.just thought you may have wanted to know this.I sincerely don't want to freak anyone out believe me.but knowledge IS power.good luck,Marcia

Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

thanks for the responses. good ole curling of the fingers. hurts so good, bad.

Closed Thread