It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone taking Gabitril Filmtabs for nerve pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Anyone taking Gabitril Filmtabs for nerve pain?

Are there any CP people out there taking Gabitril (similar to Neurontin) for nerve pain? If you are like I was and also Marcia (feelbad) you might want to check with you doctor and/or your pharmacist about it. The FDA has issued a warning about patients who are taking this anti-seizure medication for reasons other than controlling their seizures. Apparently, it can produce seizures in people who have not previously had seizures.

I told Marcia (feelbad) about it and she responded, because her doctor had her on it, but didn't say anything about the warning. You can read her response in the thread "Hey Director" on this board. It can definitely be worth your while to contact one of us and get to scoop about this medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Gabitril Filmtabs for nerve pain?

Hi Director, Has there been any warnings on neurontin? I worry about being on so many meds. I use to have low blood pressure and now my blood pressure is all over the place.
    Terri

Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User

Hi. I'm taking Gabitril for nerve pain. Where can I find the info you refer to?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

As far as Neurontin, I haven't heard anything as far as warnings go. It's just the Gabitril that is dangerous to take.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just do a google search on gabitril and it will give you ALOT of info,believe me.thats all it took and there it all was.

Hey director,just what is the 'filtab"?mine are just tiny yellow 4mg pills,is that filmtab version something different?

i also have not heard anything on neurontin just the gabitril.from what my PM told me when I first started at my pain clinic,he wanted to take me off of the neurontin and put me onto the gab because it was a much purer form of GABA and did not contain some of the 'extra' stuff that neurontin did.Maybe its that 'extra stuff" that makes neurontin not induce the seizures like the gabitril does that does not have it?? just a thought still freakin scarey though.marcia

Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Marcia: To be honest with you, I'm not sure what the Filmtabs part is, but all of my prescriptions have come and said Gabitril Filmtabs. Maybe someone can jump in here and let us know what it means. I have 180 of the 12 mg version here though.

When my doctor put me on it, he said Gabitril was a "new and improved Neurontin". I was taking 24 mg a day, just before bedtime.

I hope anyone who happens to be on them will contact us or their doctor and/or pharmacist, because they could really be dangerous.

Closed Thread