It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Epidural injection, need advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User
    Epidural injection, need advice please

I am getting this done today and wanted to make sure that I'm not going to be all messed up from it. I came across this post:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=306268&highlight=epidur al+injection[/url]

If thats what this injection is going to be like I think I need more time to think about it.

I just called the surgery center and they said they do give me an IV an do two injection locations. The first one is at L5 and is a selective nerve root block.

the second one is done in the tailbone area and is cautal epidural in tailbone with lidocane and depomedral steriods.

They said I should be fine to walk by Sunday but I don't know what to expect. In that post I copied above the person said that they had the ESI many times and was able to walk the next day but that this one was different. I am still not sure what I'm getting even after talking with them.

Should I just cancel it or is there a definitive question I could ask to be sure its one specific injection or the other. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User
    Re: Epidural injection, need advice please

I am almost thinking of cancelling because I don't know how I'm going to react.

I absolutely HAVE to be able to get on the plane Sunday.

I have never had this done and have no idea what to expect. In that other post I quoted it seemed like one injection was easy to handle and one was very difficult. I can't have this jepordize any of my travelling plans because I need to be OK for this trip, its a MAJOR turning point in my life and I don't want to risk it.

I want to get better, but maybe if I can deal with the pain as of now I should wait 2 weeks and get the injection done then when I'm back from the trip and have plenty of time to get over it.

I have had arthroscopic surgery on my knee where the docs have told me I would be fine in a couple days and they said some people have that surgery during the week and are sking on the weekend. I had my surgery and was off of work for months.

I can't afford to risk this, so I am going to cancel it and just postpone it until I get back.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

My wife said that a coworker had this done and he was able to exercise / workout the next day so I think I am probably overreacting a little. I will go by what I have been told by many people, that it will not be a big deal and I'll be able to be on my feet right away.

I hate making decisions like this and feel I could probably wait but I am anxious to see if it will help. If this does take some pressure off L5 / S1 and I get some of that nerve back I will feel so much relief, much more than any pain med could give so I'm just gonna go through with it and hopefully it won't be too bad.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
    Amsterdam
    (male)

Amsterdam HB User

Well, I got nervous and cancelled it. I didn't feel comfortable getting this done and I'll wait to see the doc and I'm sure he will be ****** but I am not taking any more chances with my body. These docs are out to make money and from my last appointment I got anything but compassion. I don't want a doctor that has no compassion messing around my spine with a needle.

I am going to get the EMG results and take them to my neurologist as well as the MRI and see what he thinks. He is the one that has run pain clinics in the past and warned me to stay away from injections so I want to see what he thinks I should do.

Maybe its a simple procedure but it seems like every "simple" procedure they try and do just ends up making things worse. I am in pain right now and I wish that there was a magic cure but I need to be sold on this injection idea before I just dive right in.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User

I had an epidural injection but I'm not sure if its exactly the same as yours. It sounds the same, with an epidural and a steroid injection. They told me to have someone come with me because I wouldn't be able to drive myself home. After walking down the hospital hall I was able to walk just fine. The problem is that it started hurting about an hour later, and it ended up making the back problem worse. From what I hear this was a very isolated incident. I think it is supposed to be effective for 90% of the people who get it. But you should still not get it unless you are comfortable with it. Talk to your doctor and get all the facts, when you have all the facts then make an informed decision.

Closed Thread