It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pain Meds & The Worst Side Affect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User
    Pain Meds & The Worst Side Affect

I would like to know how those of you who take extended release pain meds deal with the dreaded constipation issues they cause? I have tried laxatives, which worked in the beginning (lst couple years), however they no longer work. I am now needing to go to a prescription laxative and would like to know which method/Rx works best for you.

The two choices are Mirilax and Zelnorm? I thought oxycontin was bad, but, now that I have switched to Kadian, the constipation is even worse! I was truly hoping the Kadian would be easier on me since the delivery system is much smoother - not a chance.

Any advice/information woud be greatly appreciated,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: Pain Meds & The Worst Side Affect

How active are you????If you can go for a walk after each meal this really does get things moving.Also try and drink alot of water.....Dave

Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
    ltedeschi
    Veteran
    (female)

ltedeschi HB User

I feel your pain. I went three weeks once where even the stuff that cleans you out for colonoscopy didn't work after laxatives, stool softeners, enemas didn't work the pm said just try Dulcolax I had been using fleet and boy did it work and I still have no trouble,
    This is definately the worse side effect. I usually only go on Sunday when I can take a laxative the night before. This will ruin my colon but what is a person to do

Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

It is awful. I am on methadone and have had a heck of a time. My PM wants me to go EVERY day. Which seems impossible but I try my hardest. I drink a TON of water. Over 100oz a day. That seems to have helped things. I also take 500mg of magnesiusm each night. I use a laxative when thins get really backed up (milk of magnesia because it doesn't cause cramping) but often have to take two doses of it before it really starts working.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I'm so glad someone brought this up, because it must be a problem for all of us! I notice when I dont walk I have a much harder time 'moving the mail' as it were. , I use glycerine suppositorys once every 3-4 days, and between that and the walking I stay pretty regular. You can buy them over the counter, on the shelf by the tucks and stuff. I also try and avoid binding foods like cheese and lots of red meat. or at least balance it out with salads and fresh fruit. Hope you all have as pain free a day as possible!~Fabby

Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
    pedden
    Inactive
    (male)

pedden HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Pain Meds & The Worst Side Affect

My father got me taking Metumicil (sp?). This I take at night mixed with Tang, which makes it bearable. I use the regular flavor Metamucil mix it yourself stuff, not the pills. My father had experience with both and said the ony thing that worked was the mis it yourself stuff. Well I can report everynight I drink my Metamucil cocktail or whatever you wanna call it, and every morning I have a bowel movement, and I woudl say 98% of the time that is the only bwel movement of everyday, and also its smooth and very scheduled, being pretty much at the same time every morning. So I dont have to worry about leaving my house and having to use a public restroom, I just make sure all my appointments are sceduled after a certain time and go from there with a constipation free day, and thats amazing with all of the opiate treatments I am on, and the amount of constipation and bowel problems I had before my father turned me on to his drug of choice Metamucil. But as I always make aware in all my post, I am in no way a MD, so first I would speak with my MD or PM people about this regime beforehand to make sure it doesnt intereact with any of your meds at all, even the ones innocent might not be effective off of some of these home remedies. So just make sure you are aware that I recommend discussing everything with your healthcare provider first about everything, cause I dont wanna be the cause of someone elses problems because of my recommendation for something that works miracles in my life and with my very regular bowel movements now, which make my life managable now and also very pain free as far as constipation go.
    Thank You for letting me share my input!!!!!
    Sincerely,
    Jonathan W. Motte

Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
    catnap
    (female)

catnap HB User

I'm sure glad to see this brought up. I had it the other way, since gall bladder surgery in 83. Where things ran a bit too often and way too smooth!

Since changing from fentanyl and methadone to Avinza (like Kadian), I have noticed a big difference. I have used glycerin suppositories and stool softners and only getting some minimal relief.

Is there any problems with using the Dulcolax long term?

Thanks for the input.
    Carol

Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

When my system gets backed up, I drink "Dieter's Green Tea", which has senna in it. You can usually find it in a grocery store and different stores carry different brands and flavors.

You have to be very careful and follow the instructions on the box because you don't want to start out keeping the tea bag in the water very long because its powerful stuff. Since I don't care for the taste of the senna in the tea, after I put the tea bag in the water and get the desired darkness (or should I say lightness), I then take it out and put a regular tea bag in (like Earl Grey) and then add my creamer and sweetner and it tastes like regular tea. It can take up to 12 hrs. to work and as long as you don't make it too strong, you should have a regular movement. Sometimes I do experience cramping if I've made it a little too strong, but its worth it to keep regular.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I asked my PM doc if using a laxative was okay and she said it was when necessary. So I'm assuming she means after I use the other stuff (magnesium, water, increased fiber...) if I am still backed up to go ahead and use it. And I'm on the meds longterm so I'm assuming she would have told me if there were long term problems with laxatives. I know that if you take them TOO much your body becomes dependent on them and doesn't want to it's business on it's own. But I'm assuming if you are only using it once or twice a week ti should be okay. That is how often I use it and I told my doctor all about it and she said it was fine....

Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I have a hopice recipe that I swear by, a also ocaisionally use OTC and prescription mds. It really takes a combination, rotaing them helps and you don't become solely dependnet on one product. Taking fiber withut somthing to increase the bowel contractions wjich slow or stop all tohgether with opiate use may just make you feel more bloated. You really need something that creates the contractions.

Magnesium is a very potent drug and usually reserved for prep prior to surgery, It's about the strongest ting you can use and it's my absolute last choice. The yakima paste works great, th active ingredient is Senna tea which is also the active ingredient in Sennekot.

I use it fairly regualrly but tdo mix it up if feeling blated, The best i ever felt was doing a 30 day colon flush as seen on TV. It really worked and for 50 bucks every two months may be wort it, but I still used other things in the arsenal with the flush, Like Yakima paste and Kritaloose, increase water. It really can be managed , it just takes more effort than any one wants to put into having a BM. LOL

Morphine was definitely the worst for constipation of all the meds I've used but I repond the best pain wise to morphine.
    I'll get the recipe if anyone is interested.
    Take care, Dave

Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
    lseidman
    (male)

lseidman HB User

I have taken Dulcolax, and when it says to take the recommended dosage, holy moley just do it. I didn't think it would work, so I took 3 and thought I was going away in a Ambulance.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Here is the recipe for the fruit paste. I made my last batch in May and I'm just runnng out. So it was very cost effective over time. Just a lot of work and fruit. If you can't find bulk senna use senna tea bags and steep a bunch, whatever equals 4oz, I rwo entire boxes of tea bags and had do squeeze each bag to get the senna tea back, but it did work, I got about 1 cup and a half back from squeezing 60 bags. Ya really need a food processor to cut fruit before and mix after .unless you have some serious hand strength..

Yakima Fruit Paste
    used in hospice care for terminal high dose patients

DOSE: 1-2 tablespoons per day

1 pound prunes
    1 pound raisins-pitted
    1 pound figs
    4 oz senna tea (look in your health food store, it looks like a bunch of leaves)
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup lemon juice

1. Prepare tea-use about 2 1/2 cups boiled water added to tea and steep 5 minutes.
    2. Strain tea to remove tea leaves and add only 1 pint tea to a large pot, then add fruit.
    3. Boil fruit and tea for 5 minutes.
    4. Remove from heat and add sugar & lemon juice. Allow to cool.
    5. Use hand mixer or food processor to blend fruit mixture into smooth paste.
    6. Place in plastic container and place in freezer. (Paste will not freeze but will keep forever in freezer).
    7. Spoon out what you require each day.

Enjoy eating it straight off the spoon.
    Spread it on toast or add hot water and make a drink.

* If the fruit paste is not working (you are not having bowel movements) then you need to increase the amount of fruit paste you are taking.

* If the fruit paste makes you have very loose stools then you need to cut down on the amount of fruit paste you are taking. Perhaps even taking it every other day in some cases.

Another recipe

POWER PUDDING:-
    Ingredients:-
    *3 1/4 cups cooked prunes
    *2 cups apple juice
    *2 cups prune juice
    *1 cup bran
    Puree the ingredients and refrigerate the mixture.
    Start with a 2 or 3 ounce serving 3 to 7 days a week.Adjust the amount and frequency to achieve a normal stool pattern.
    The large amont of sugar may cause difficulty for some diabetics.But for those who can handle the extra sugar,this can be good medicine.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
    dango
    (female)

dango HB User

Uh, yeah... Well I take Zelnorm, Asacol, AND Reglan... ...and I STILL get backed up. That should not even be humanly possible!!! Anyway, there are those 12 oz. bottles of cherry or lime flavored saline laxative in the drug store. It's carbonated and you pur it on ice and drink it really fast... ...at least that's what I did when I had my sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy--and a few times since. Plan on spending the day at home! Don't eat anything after you take it (around 8pm or so).

Old 01-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

I just had my third & fourth back surgeries on Nov. 11, had a terrible time with this. I found drinking 8 oz of orange juice and 8 oz of prune juice a day did the trick. I made sure I drank them by dinner time every day. Good Luck !!

Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #15
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User

Thank you for all of the other options! I initially did the ducolax, etc, and they eventually quit working. Then I did the prune juice with pulp (which is hard to find) and that eventually stopped working. Now, with morphine being the worst med thus far, I am going to try the fruit paste.

Thank you so much for the fruit paste recipe. I know in the beginning, I really didnt realize how serious being constantly backed up could be..AFter dealing with this issue for 3 years now, I am learning how important it is to keep yourself regular. Having chronic constipation can cause other serious health issues on top of what I am already dealing with.

I have found anything natural seems to work the best. I just tried the zelnorm for a week and it is definately not going to work! Although, Zelnorm is a good medicine for bloating and other symptoms assoicated with IBS.

Kadian is a fabulous pain med but it is terrible regarding constipation. Its as if the Kadian paralizes the motility of my colon all together! Has anyone had any luck with Mirilax?

Closed Thread