It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• What is difference betw. a Sympathetic nerve block and an Epidural nerve block?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Question deleted

deleted message

Last edited by sealover; 03-08-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: What is difference betw. a Sympathetic nerve block and an Epidural nerve block?

I do believe that with the epidural,it is injected into the surrounding area of the nerves but the sympathetic,it is directly into the ganglion.I have had both but the sympathetic was intothe stellate inside my neck.the symp is done as more of a diagnostic procedure to try and determine if your pain is being generated from the SNS or not.with my L arm pain,which is very similar to that of RSD,mine was done by my PM to just make sure the original Dx of central pain syndrome was indeed correct.I felt no relief or any sort of change with the injection so that made the original Dx of central what it was.If it had been stemming from RSD,i would have felt some sort of relief.i didn't.
    i want to get the SNS one done on my lower to see for sure if my RSD dx is what it is.I have alot of major pain and structural problems with my knee and was finally Dxed with RSD by my ortho surgeon.I also have the swelling and blue/purple skin mottling.just a bunch of rounded dots that keep appearing and disappearing whenever they seem to feel like it.my Dx really seems to fit with all of my many symptoms.I also have severe spasticity problems and vasomotor malfunction in both legs.

I think your doc just wants to do the sympathetic just to see for sure if you actually have RSD or some other sympathetically generated type of pain,or if it is just stemming from some other spinal problem.I hope i explained this well enough and did not actually confuse you even more,lol.I am like that sometimes. good luck,marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 02-14-2006 at 06:57 AM. Reason: just bein me

Closed Thread