It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pancreatitis is a pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
    danfromnz
    (male)

danfromnz HB User
    Pancreatitis is a pain

Im a 24 year old male, and in November of last year I was hospitalised with Pancreatitis. I was in hospital for almost three weeks, and since my discharge I have been in considerable pain. While in hospital, I was given morphine injected into my abdomen (subcut) about three times a day, but when i was released, the doctors started off prescribing me codeine, which was rubbish, so they put me on Tramadol. This seemed to keep the pain under control most of the time, but in the last couple of weeks the pain has become more intense and I ended up back in hospital last Wednesday because of this. The doctor couldnt get an I.V into any of my veins, because my veins are all pretty much useless, collapsed. So they couldnt administer morphine. Instead they gave me Sevredol, which is morphine based. They prescribed me some and so far, these have been pretty good. I'm a little concerned I will get addicted, but at the same time I can't tolerate the pain.
    Basically, all I want to know is what other people who have been through my condition take for pain, how they manage day to day, basically just hear their story to get a little support. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has had pancreatitis and how it's affected your everyday life.

~Dan

Last edited by danfromnz; 02-14-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Pancreatitis is a pain

Hi Dan and welcome to the pain manaement board! I'm assuming you are from the UK because I've never heard of Sevredol being a brand name used in the States. Of course, that doesn't mean anything. The real drug expert is a guy named Shorline Dave. He's probably heard of every drug for pain ever made! But from what I have learned, it is morphine sulfate in pill form. It also comes in a liquid. If you want more information about this drug, there is plenty of info on the Web. I have not had pancreatitis but I have heard that it is one of the most painful conditions that a person can have! Is your pain something that comes and goes in cycles or is it constant? Do they know what is causing it? What is your long-term prognosis? KathyMac

Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Dan, and welcome!! I had acute pancreatitis several years ago, but I was only in the hospital for a little over a week. I have a question for you...did the Morphine help you?? The reason I ask is because when I was first admitted, I was given Demerol through a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump. I was slowly getting better, then mid-week, I was switched to Morphine (not by my choice, that's a whole other ugly story). Anyway, after the switch, I started to decline. My lab work for pancreatic enzymes was getting better, then went off the chart when on the Morphine (that was the only change, I was on IV fluids and antibiotics and nothing by mouth, not even ice was allowed for the whole time I was in the hospital). I was switched back to Demerol, and started to improve pain wise and the pancreatic enzymes began going back down to the normal range. Well, I found out after I was discharged what had happened. Several friends of mine are nurses and they told me you NEVER give Morphine for acute pancreatic or gallbladder pain because it makes the pain worse. From what they have told me, it increases the spasms of these organs and releases more enzymes, which irritate an already inflammed organ. They didn't mention the use of Morphine for chronic pain in the pancreas or gallbladder, so I assume it has something to do with acute episodes only. I looked up Morphine in my old PDR and it said it was definitely contraindicated in acute pancreatitis and acute gallstone episodes.

That's why I was curious if it helped you. I guess everyone reacts differently to meds, but God, I really wanted to die while on Morphine. After that episode, I never had another problem. Now, my kidneys are another story. That's what I'm in PM for.

Anyway, welcome again! I believe you will find great support and answers to alot of your questions here. There are some wonderful and knowledgeable people on this board!

Last edited by friendly_one; 02-16-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
    Linda_in_NJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Dan and others, you are so right when you say pancreatitis pain is BAD!!
    I've had it 3 times, was always hopitalized for it, given IV's for antibotics and vitamins, stayed on a liquid diet for a week, and was always given demoral
    which helped immediately and immensely. Someone stated you should not be given morphine with gall bladder related diseases and they might be right. One other thing though, my pain always went away and after a while, you're
    pain should subsude somewhat too. Good luck

Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
    danfromnz
    (male)

danfromnz HB User

Thanks for your replies, it's really comforting to hear from people who have been through what I have. Kathy, I am not from the U.K, i'm from New Zealand, but yes, severdol is just morphine sulphate pills.
    They seem to have helped most of the time, but in the last 24 hours I have had a different kind of pain. It's on my left side, right under my ribs, pretty much opposite my bellybutton. It's horrible, it really hurts to breath in or cough, and I can't really move about properly. It is not the first time ive had this sort of pain however, but the morphine hasn't seemed to have worked.
    I'm a little confused why the doctor would prescribe me morphine if it shouldnt be used in patients with pancreatitis. It certainly hasn't made the pain worse, but has some unpleasant side effects like dry mouth.
    I've had to cancel a trip to my hometown of Wales, uk, because I just dont think i'll be fit to travel by then, even though the doctor said I would be fine (however, 8 hours after he told me this, i was back in hospital with intense pain). I just think alot of doctors are incompetent morons, and can learn alot more from the people who have actually gone through such a condition.
    Once again, thanks for your replies, and I hope to hear more

~Dan

Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just curious dan,what is the actual cause of the pancreatitis?do you have other issues going on with the GI,or did this just suddenly appear one day?you could be also having problems with the gall bladder or liver.this could be actually causing the pain you are descrbing.for some bizarre reason,the GB can often refer pain to the exact area you are describing.has to do with the way the nerves run in that particular area.my son,who also had to suffer through a nasty pancreatitis episode,also had referred pain in that area from his liver problems too.have you ever had the GB and liver checked by ultrasound or ct?how have your liver labs been?Just wondering.sorry you have to go thru all of the nightmare crap associated with the pancreatitis,i watched my son suffer thru that at age 13,it sucked.hope this gets overwith soon for you.Marcia

Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
    danfromnz
    (male)

danfromnz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    just curious dan,what is the actual cause of the pancreatitis?do you have other issues going on with the GI,or did this just suddenly appear one day?you could be also having problems with the gall bladder or liver.this could be actually causing the pain you are descrbing.for some bizarre reason,the GB can often refer pain to the exact area you are describing.has to do with the way the nerves run in that particular area.my son,who also had to suffer through a nasty pancreatitis episode,also had referred pain in that area from his liver problems too.have you ever had the GB and liver checked by ultrasound or ct?how have your liver labs been?Just wondering.sorry you have to go thru all of the nightmare crap associated with the pancreatitis,i watched my son suffer thru that at age 13,it sucked.hope this gets overwith soon for you.Marcia
    I got pancreatitis from 5 years of alcoholism. I felt fairly fine, until one day I woke up and was in intense pain, my neighbour took one look at me and called an ambulance.. I've had countless CT scans and ultra sounds and xrays etc, and they never said anything about my liver, so I guess it's fine. I don't have gall stones. Thanks for your reply

Closed Thread