It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• To All Who Take Elavil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User
    To All Who Take Elavil

Just a quick note for those that take Elavil.

I had been on Elavil (Amiltriptyline) for over 2 years and during that time my teeth deteriorated gradually and became sensative to the point i could not brush my teeth w/o pain.all this because Elavil causes terrible dry mouth.

after stopping elavil i started getting alot more nerve pain in my leg/foot so my doc rx'd pamelor (Noritriptyline).

While i dont think it helps as much as the Elavil it does help and within a month my teeth are no longer sensitive and havent caused me any pain.

so if anyone is taking Elavil long term you may want to ask your doc about pamelor.They are both the same class of meds (TCA) and both have shown to help w/nerve pain.

the only thing is elavil causes drowsiness and atleast for me,pamelor does not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Re: To All Who Take Elavil

Hi Scotty: Thanks for the tip. I've been taking Elavil for several years (almost eight) and have had dry mouth for a long time. Unfortunately, I'm on a couple other meds that cause dry mouth too. I've been drinking diet Pepsi most of the day for a long time because of it. When I first started, I was drinking regular Pepsi, but when I went to the dentist, I had several cavities. I made the switch over to diet and that helped a lot. I still get the dry mouth though, if I don't have my Pepsi. I haven't run into the sensitivity problem you were describing yet, thank goodness. I'm on 50 mg at bedtime, if the dose makes a difference.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

Director,
    Its funny,I never drank reg soda (except when i was younger),but Elavil made me crave sugar.Pepsi,Coke,Capt' Crunch, anything with sugar.

I always used sweet-n-low in my coffee.
    For 20 years i didnt take sugar until i started Elavil.

It wasnt that i had alot of cavities but receeding gums caused my teeth to become so sensitive that i hated brushing my teeth and if i ate anything sweet with the right texture it was as though i was in the dentist chair.

I was taking 75mg a day when i decided to stop taking it.now im taking the same dose of noritriptyline.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
    SecretAgent2

SecretAgent2 HB User

According to my dentist..any medication that causes dry mouth is not good for your teeth. It means that your normal syliva (sp?) is not cleaning off your teeth..so if you eat things, or drink things they don't get washed off as well as if you had a wet mouth. So you really need to pay attention to brushing well, using a prescribed flouride toothpaste...and rinsing with ACT a flouride mouthwash. He suggested drinking stuff with straws so it doesn't touch your teeth. I had $5000 worth (so far) from a medication called Actiq that I was on for pain. It was a lollipop with sugar in it and it sat on my teeth. So that coupled with the dry mouth from other meds now is a bad thing for our teeth!

Closed Thread