It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Grrrr....No "Extra" Pain Meds for Acute Sciatica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User
    Grrrr....No "Extra" Pain Meds for Acute Sciatica

Hi All!!

I hope everyone is finding this day as pain free as possible!!

I just need to rant a bit so if you don't wanna hear it close now

I just moved to the "Big City" (have added a few threads about it) and at each turn I find yet ANOTHER flipping problem.

OK - so I got my "regular" pain meds in order FINALLY, you know - the ones we take so we can feel somewhat "alive" and "normal"....

On Monday I twisted my back in the shower and ended up with THE WORST acute pain down my leg and my foot is almost completely numb. I'm no stranger to this - I had lumbar surgery about 10 years ago.

So I go to the doc who diagnoses sciatica and prescribes prednisone. Ok, I'm good with that....I go to work on Tuesday and since I can't feel a thing in my left foot I fell down hard on the floor. Ankle swelled up and turned purple. My doc had me get regular x rays that came out negative for broken bones. She also would NOT prescibe anything for the sciatica - I mean I was and am writhing in pain. Her nurse said "you signed a pain management agreement that states the doc will not give any additional meds". Well, I didn't sign that agreement for MY chart. I did sign it for my daughter tho. I just let it go and took an extra dose of meds.

Thursday morning I called the doc in tears because I can't even curl my toes. She get's me in for an MRI asap. I TOLD them this on MONDAY. I should have had an MRI on MONDAY.

I just can't believe we can't get pain meds to treat acute pain. Noone understands....the meds we take daily keep us at a functional level - some better others not, but functional ONLY. When we have accidents we need to be treated for pain.

Boy, I sure hope I don't lose a limb or something.....

Thanks for hearing me out. You guys are the best!
    Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
    Re: Grrrr....No "Extra" Pain Meds for Acute Sciatica

Sorry to hear that you're suffering so much, it seems like you have it so hard in the USA at times with pain management. In the UK we can get some pretty good painkillers OTC, especailly if you haven't been on any opiates in a long time 12.5mg Codeine phoshate and 200mg iboprofen is a pretty potent mix, you can take 3 of them at a time!

Still that doesn't help you; can't you go to the ER if things are that bad or have you tried Acupunture, I'm trying to get an appointment for that; I watched a TV program on it and it is proven to be very powerful in treating nerve pain, you should try it whilst the docs are ******* around! There's also massage, I have at least one a week, it really helps sooth my nerves and relaxings me from the inside out. Have you got a Tens machine also, some people get great relief from them, even if only by distraction (although I heard that they are by RX only in the USA, mad!)

I hope you feel better soonl; best wishes in the meantime...

Last edited by Blasterboy; 03-10-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User

I take a very strong slow release B Complex supplement most days for my sciatica .. and I deffinately find it helps. Sciatica does involve the nerves which need Vit B to keep them healthy. Why not try it. Give it a bit of time though as u have done yourself an injury now and need to heal ... the B complex should help with healing and it also has a good dose of Vit C in it which is healing ... Good luck

Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

yep, B complex is great for nerves I take a good dose of that every day, especially B6 and B12!

Old 03-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #5
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Funny you should mention B vitamins. I've had gastric bypass surgery and have to give myself monthly B complex injections.

For the past three months I have been trying to find the darn vial (lost in the move)...found it last night and gave myself 1 1/2 times the monthly dose.

Although I haven't noticed it helping with the pain yet.

I have had this happen to me before but the excruciating pain down my leg went away by the third day. I am going on day 8 with no relief. Hopefully the MRI I had on Friday will shed some light on the situation.

In the meantime my BP has skyrocketed due to the pain and I'm trying to find another doc - one who understands pain management a bit better and will treat acute pain. This is the very first time I've asked for any pain meds over and above what I'm using to treat the cp. In 4 years I have NEVER asked for more....now I am suffering big time.

Thanks for your replies.
    Angela

Old 05-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User

It's been a couple of months since your last post--I hope the MRI results helped you to get some medication!

My medical insurance is more of a catastrophic plan, which means I pay for pretty much everything. I had a hard time affording an MRI when the doctor required one. It is almost like a cya recipe for the doctors. Finally found a place that gave me an MRI at a low price, and eventually got meds that help me feel (like you said) somewhat normal. A year ago I wouldn't have understood your plight--now, I definately know. It seems like many doctors and their staff don't understand it at all either. What you said about blood pressure was also a problem for me. My blood pressure went way up, and my family doctor had no clue that it was being caused by my pain. Got pain medicine, blood pressure is now back to normal. And to think my family doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure medicine!

It's good to hear your story Angela.. I hope you are doing better!

Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all,

i often wonder about dr writting for acute pain because i had a tooth pulled And it hurt alot I never ask my dr to write somthing else because i thought that he would just say you have meds. But they weren't helping with this. I would love to hear how others have handled acute pain. kelsey1

Closed Thread