It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Tramadol and Tramadol HCL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
    rootcanalqueen
    (female)

rootcanalqueen HB User
    Question Tramadol and Tramadol HCL

Does anyone know if there is any difference b/w Tramadol and Tramadol HCL? I'm really confused.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Tramadol and Tramadol HCL

Tramadol HCL is the same thing. It's the active ingredient in Ultram or Ultracet which is tramadol and tylenol mixed.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
    rootcanalqueen
    (female)

rootcanalqueen HB User

So all Tramadol (not ultracet) contain tylenol? I know ultracet contains tylenol.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

Tramadol is the active drug in both. Ultracet contains Tylenol at 325 mg. Ultram is just Tramadol. Ultram has 50mg of Tramadol where Ultracet has 37.5 mg of Tramadol.

They have actually just released a new Ultram ER (Extended Release). I beleive it is suppose to be a q24. Meaning that one tablet works for 24 hours. Anyway, its pretty new.

Take Care

Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User

How safe are these drugs in the long term? I read in another post on here that someones husband was battling to get off tramadol which is a bit worrying.

I have used it very recently for the first time. When I went back I saw a different doctor and he seemed a bit alarmed I wanted some more. He said Tramadol is one of the heavy ones (ie very strong pain killer). But I am so sick of living with general pain and if I take two 50mg capsules in the morning .. I feel so much better for the day .. I seem to even have more energy and can get on with my work. I just don't know what to do. Do I go back and beg for a regular script .. or live as I have done with this pain all over and much less quality of life?

Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

TZU,

Tramadol is not that potent of a drug in my opinion. However, everyone responds differently to meds. If you are opiate naive (don't take opiates often) then Tramadol may work just fine.

When Tramadol was first introduced to the market, it was marketed as an opiate type medication that had little risk of addiction/dependancy. Its not even a scheduled med at least in most states. However, it was soon found that Tramadol dependency was worse than first expected. Not only did it a synthetic opiate type med, it also has anti-depressant qualities. Making the W/D's from this med rather difficult.

There have been reports of people having seizures on this med and during W/D's. It was first said that this drug should be limited to a short duration, 7-10 days. However, they are now making an extended release version, so I'm not sure if they have discontinued that recommendation or not.

I'm not trying to discourage tramadol. If it is working and you and your Dr are comfortable then great. It just was first portrayed as something that is a bit different than what people starting reporting.

I found some information from the prescribing information of tramadol about the comparison to other opiates (strength wise).:

ULTRAM has been studied in three long-term controlled trials involving a total of 820 patients, with 530 patients receiving ULTRAM.
    Patients with a variety of chronic painful conditions were studied in double-blind trials of one to three months duration. Average daily
    doses of approximately 250 mg of ULTRAM in divided doses were generally comparable to five doses of acetaminophen 300 mg with
    codeine phosphate 30 mg (TYLENOL® with Codeine #3) daily, five doses of aspirin 325 mg with codeine phosphate 30 mg daily, or
    two to three doses of acetaminophen 500 mg with oxycodone hydrochloride 5 mg (TYLOX®) daily.

Hope this helps, Take Care

Last edited by ARANGER; 03-10-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add something

Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I take Ultram Long acting 12 hour 100mg doses x 2 a day on top of my 3 x 20mg LA OXY daily doses. I find it helps for maintenance, I can take up to 400mgs of the LA Ultram if I need to and my PM doc recently said I could take an additional 200mg of the short acting for acute flares ups if needed on top of the 400mg LA. This is only allowed for short periods of time. I suffer from Nerve pain and it's my understanding and certainly my PM doc's opinion that Ultram is a good drug for nerve pain, in fact often better than some of the more common pure opiates. I certainly find it helpful when mixed with pure opiates.

All this talk of people struggling to come off it surprises me also as I've weaned myself of it no problems twice in the past few months, but then I don't and haven't ever suffered depression, I wonder if there’s a link with people who are prone to depression been more likely to struggle to get off this drug. Anyhow I'm currently taking a low dose of St Johns as a prophylactic, as I know long term opiate use can lead anyone to minor depression at least, better to be safe than sorry. Hope the Ultram works for you.

BTW, I find that Acetam' is always a helpful addition to my pain pill doses. It's got properties that none of the opiates have and I think it helps my; many studies have proven it to draw out the effectiveness of opiates, that's why they mix it with Ultram and other codeine/morphine derivates etc. But as I've been taking pain meds for about 11 months now I limit my Acetam' (we call it Paracetamol in the UK) intake to about 2 to 3mg a day.

Last edited by Blasterboy; 03-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
    jules1
    Veteran
    (female)

jules1 HB User

I don't think Ultram is considered a narcotic or opiate. I think the reason it is hard to get off of is because it works the same way some anti-depressants work, so you can get "hooked" in a sense, but not like you would on other painkillers. Someone correct me if I am wrong, though.

I tried Ultram, but it didn't touch my pain. When I asked my dr for something stronger, they prescribed Tyl 3. I guess that might give you an idea of what kind of scale its on.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Jules,

This is directly from the prescribing info for Tramadol (Ultram):

Pharmacodynamics
    ULTRAM® is a centrally acting synthetic opioid analgesic. Although its mode of action is not completely understood, from animal tests,
    at least two complementary mechanisms appear applicable: binding of parent and M1 metabolite to μ-opioid receptors and weak
    inhibition of re-uptake of norepinephrine and serotonin.

Tramadol is considered a synthetic opioid, however, it works differently than other synthetics. And it my opinion is much weaker than others.
    You're correct that due to its Anti-depressant qualities, it makes this drug more difficult to get off of than other opiods. This is one of the reasons its not as safe and innocent as first thought when it was first marketed.

Last edited by ARANGER; 03-11-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
    jules1
    Veteran
    (female)

jules1 HB User

Thanks for the correction. I guess I didn't consider it an opiate because it isn't that strong!

Old 03-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

With Ultram, that potential for seizures is a real one! I have Lupus and the Lupus Anti-Coagulant. Part of my Lupus condition is the reality of occasional seizures.

In spite of the fact that I informed the physician who prescribed Ultram to me many years ago about my history of seizures, I had a seizure the second day I was on the medicine.

My seizures are not epileptic in nature, according to multiple EEG's. If you have any tendency toward seizures, I would avoid this medication altogether. This is my opinion, of course!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Closed Thread