It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Another reason I think my Pain Dr. released me. Read, feedback please.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Another reason I think my Pain Dr. released me. Read, feedback please.

As some of you know, I was released (and taken back) by my Pain Management Dr. for what they told me was because I waited 8 days to put the patch on after he prescribed it.

I was thinking there had to be another reason they weren't telling us and I think I've found that reason.

They had wanted to do a celiac plexus block. They told us to take the literature home and read about it, and decide if it was something we'd want to do. At the appointment he said it was my choice, and I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to do.

During that appointment he even said something along the lines like... Some Dr's won't tell you that you can die during this procedure, but I have to let you know, it can happen (I'm still not sure how someone can... I mean, the obvious reasons... but is it more the sedation they use that can kill you, or the actual procedure).

We called and cancelled the block after my parents and I read about it (remember I'm totally dependant on them--they pay for this stuff), and we agreed to wait and see if I would feel any better taking the prescribed medication first before we did something that was more risky.

I didn't realize that there was so much money to be made in doing these kind of blocks, etc. And when we cancelled, he was losing money.

I asked my mom about it, and she remembered the nurse, during her spewing at the mouth, mention something about us cancelling the block as a reason for me getting dismissed, as well.

When they asked me back, they were adament about me scheduling the block and having it done. I agreed, just because I wanted treatment, but I feel I've kind of been forced into getting it done. That isn't the way a patient wants to feel, at all.

I don't really know that much about pain management clinics, but from what I've read/heard, blocks and injections are where they make a lot of their money... so if a patient refuses to adhere to something (that they initially had said I did NOT have to do if I didn't want to) they want to do, they're not so crazy about treating that patient.

I feel like they have kind of backed me into a corner, and I don't feel that comfortable at all with this place anymore. I mean, upon thinking about it further, I just don't think it seems right... What do you think? Do you think the Dr shouldn't treat me if I didnt want to do their celiac plexus block and refused the treatment?

What exactly are the risks... and how often do they happen? Death? How does someone die... the sedatives, or the actual procedure could kill the person? If it doesn't work, I'm afraid this Dr. won't treat me because I won't want to do the blocks he was so adament about, anyways.. and I'll be back at square 1. I do have to say that Lyrica is helping... Just recently got Percocet(dad picking up first script today--switched from Duragesic). If this block doesn't help, and he doesn't think there is money to be made (sad as that is) I HONESTLY don't think this place will want to treat me, and like I said, I'll be back to square one with a Dr. dismissing me, and having nowhere to turn.

I guess I should have really thought about it before I said yes to them. Perhaps I should have even went to the other pain management consultation to see what they recommended/thought. In fact, I'm sure now I should have done that.

If this makes any sense, give me some input, please. I would be very very grateful.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 03-21-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User
    Re: Another reason I think my Pain Dr. released me. Read, feedback please.

BB,

I feel so bad for you. !#%!# Doctors.... The ones that put us at their mercey and don't give us the respect and consideration we deserve in managing our own pain.

We should be allowed to determine how much pain we are willing to suffer... Be it at the refusal of a procedure such as this or requesting less strength in drugs (such as I'm going through).

Why should they care unless we are in there asking for MORE and unreasonable treatments????

I am really having a problem wrapping my mind around how myself and others are being treated in here.

I guess the one's of us who love their PM docs probably aren't posting... lol

Please BB - DON'T let this doctor browbeat you into having this block done.

You know... I'm kinda thinking even though he took you back as a patient, there has been a HUGE loss of trust and respect in your care on both sides it seems. AND, believe me Nurses can be evil and see you don't get the best care you can from your doctor.

Let us know if you still plan on having this done. Take care

Old 03-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

how old are you Bulletin board, Just curious? I really think you should look into going to the other clinic as you are never going to geel comfortable at the current clinic your going to, every phone call is making you feel un comfortable and like your being judged by everyone in the clinic. Your feeling tension from the nurses and now the Dr, its really not worth it you should feel good going to your Dr and comfortable not un easy and paranoid. there are many other DR'S out there. I am lucky that I felt really good about my Pain Doc and there staff they were nice to me and didn't act like that at all, My Dr doesn't do any injections at all, as he refers them to someone else. I really feel bad for you the way you have been treated is not right and I really think it might be your best option to move on to someone that you feel comfortable calling and being seen and asking questions, its just not right to feel so bad everytime you call or are being seen....

good luck, and keep us posted... what a bummer.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Thanks both of you for your replies.

That's the thing I'm confused about... it's like, initially they tell me it's completely up to me if I want the block done, and then they don't want to treat me because we decide to hold off on this invasive option for a little while to see how I respond to the medications (oh yeah--and the real reason they gave me "supposedly" because I waited to put the patch on).

My dad picked up a script for me today (he works in the same town as the clinic--hour away from my house, so it saves me a trip) and he says... "I think I know who you're saying the rude nurse is.. it's so and so.. Totally doesn't know how to treat people.." I'm like, "No dad, that isn't her.. You must have found rude nurse #3."

If I cancel the block... I'm obviously done with their clinic (I know that for sure).

Then I'll have to go looking--hoping the clinic that said they would do a consult with me will accept another appointment.

I'm going to do some soul-searching today, thinking about all this.

They switched me to Percocet from Duragesic.
    Since the Duragesic made me so sick (at both 25mcg and 12mcg) they didn't want to give me another LA.... not for fear of getting sick again, but because of my age, they don't want me on oral LA meds. That's another thing.... they're pretty much done prescribing medictation--the percocet's are just going to be "as needed". Yeah, 60, that's it. 1-2 every 6 hours. If I take 4 a day that's a 15 day supply (which I don't think hes going to refill based upon what the nurse said--blah). But Dr.... I'm in pain all the time, so I need something for all the time.. not "as needed".

I just think they don't like me there, at all. The Dr. said on my first appointment, "I'll give you ONE trial of pain medication.... if that doesn't work... blah blah blah" But Dr. it wasn't that the pain medication didn't work, it's that the one you tried made me sick. Don't think he gave this to me because I got sick on the Duragesic and thought I'd get sick on any other LA pain medication.. You'd have to understand exactly what has happened since then to truly know why this Dr. did that.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 03-21-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I once sought out a PM about 5 maybe 6 years ago after my Rheumy no longer felt comfortable in dispensing such high levels of narcotics (due to state laws) and had one of the worst experiences of my life.

A bit of history, I was dx'd with Osteoarthritis at age 10 in an advanced stage in my hip (due to an experimental surgery years previous) and again at age 14 in my knee from another experimental surgery, I am now 40 (eeks). Around the age of 16 I started getting cortisone injections once or twice a year in my knee and hip and they did not work. I do not respond to these types of injections, primarily due to a genetic disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. At that age I didn't know any better and this continued on until my mid 20's or so. Every year I had injections and every single time they did nothing. Some doctors with huge ego's said it was all in the technique and theirs was best, wrong answer! It doesn't quite work like that for me.

Back to the story.

So I go to this new PM that's supposed to be fantastic in my area and enlighten him of my situation, by this time I had OA in nearly every joint, had had 12 major surgeries at that point along with herniations in 3 different areas of my spine and DDD just for starters. I've had chronic pain since a little girl. I told him of my current regimine which entailed pain medication, anti-imflamatories, meditation and a TENS unit.

We discussed the situation and he went on and on about how I was so young to be suffering and no one should suffer this way he was sure he was going to help me but in order to do so he wanted to do cortisone injections in my knee and back. I enlightened him about having EDS and being non responsive to these types of injections after having them for well over 10 years by numerous doctors who all claim "their injections were the best, they'd surely work".

He wasn't impressed to say the least, told me I didn't what I was talking about, kindly showed me the front door and said he could not and would not help me because I was a non compliant patient! He reffered me to a Pain Management class at the Cleveland Clinic (which I had already taken years previous) and further went on to tell me there was no hope for me because I would not have these injections and no one in the entire state of Ohio would ever see me let alone help me.. too bad, I'm so sorry for you but suffer..

Some doctors are just flat out ignorant and don't even bother to look at the entire history or scope of the situation because they are always convinced THEIR techniques are the only one that works (kinda reminds me of religion).

Your doctor may or may not of let you go because you cancelled the injection, but without talking to him you may never know. In reading many of your posts it appears you really aren't overly happy with this individual and perhaps it would be in your best interest to seek the new doctor but you must bear in mind that you must follow their protocol, if you don't give it a try they can see you as being non compliant.
    If you explain the financial situation and your fears perhaps you can come to a happy compromise.

As far as your medications go, you've gone from a high level medication to a moderate medication, your doctor has been generous in that sense. You should understand his side of the situation. The medications he originally tried you on made you quite ill so he dosed you down, it again made you ill so now he dosed you down again on a PRN basis. What you need to do is keep a log of when you take the percocet and what your pain levels are and at your next visit (if you stay with him) show him what you logged. Perhaps your doctor is at his wits end in trying different medications that just aren't working, there's not much more he can do.

For nearly all of us the fix didn't come in one or two visits, it has often taken months to get to an acceptable level of comfort control. Also understand in no way does PM guarantee you'll ever be pain free. If you hit a 50% reduced rate then that is acceptable even if in your own mind it isn't, according to medical standards it is.

I'm not trying to be harsh, please don't misinterpret it as being so. I just want to realize that you are new to the world of PM and there's a lot to learn and it is all trial and error. If you're looking for a magic pill you won't find one, they don't exist.
    I hope that if you do change doctors you have a much better experience with them but if you don't perhaps you need to assess what it is you really expect from Pain Management and be willing to work with your doctor as a team.

Best of luck
    Barb

Old 03-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Bulletinboard, I think Barbara hit the nail right on the head. good job Barbabra and I think you should find a new Dr as your just not going to be happy with this pain clinic no matter what they do. I hope that the Percocet helps you. I have been to the PM Dr 3 times now and I am still not on the right dose for me but I have to keep trying until we get there. it might take me 5 apts, I am not sure but I will do as they tell me to do and try each medication and eash dose until it works for me. I hope you get to the point soon where the medication is working well for you without side effects.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Loved the story--thanks!

Basically Duragesic was the first medication he's tried--so he hasn't exhausted any other LA's. In fact, his nurse told me, oral LA's wouldn't be good for me and my age (25) because they're SO ADDICTING. Yes, that's what she said. Not that I would become dependant, but that I'd become addicted. She rambled for awhile about how addicting they are--blah blah blah. Sorry lady, I know the difference between addiction and chemical dependance; I think you should know that, too. After all, she's a nurse at a PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINIC!
    But to go from LA to PRN with a 15 day supply (if you take them as they are prescribed 1-2 every 6 hours as needed #60)is a little extreme when you suffer chronic stuff-oh well. Guess I'll to decide what's best for me.
    I dunno

Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Hey BB...Did you call the other office and cancel and thank them for offering to take you in so quick ?...that would have been a thing ,maybe, so that you can, if you want go to that place in good graces.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

And Bravo for your post Kissa !...you should put that on a sticky for the fron page for all newbies to read !!....

deana

Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

The nurse has no clue apparently and appears to not be very well versed in medications and addiction or pain managemetn vs addiction as a whole. A LA is no different in the likelyhood of becoming "addicted" to than a SA (short acting medication.

In all honestly the only difference between the two is the amount of time each medication lasts. For example 10mg of Morphine is NO different than 10 mg of MSC, they both contain the exact same amounts of morphine just one is an instant dosage, the other is over time in smaller amounts, they add up to the same amount (though I think 15mg is the smallest, but just trying to illustrate a point)

The reason for LA choice compared to SA is for one, less medications to take and the other is the amount of the medication stays in your bloodstream or body over a longer period of time giving for the most part somewhat better relief.. It also keeps up the levels within your system.

The key to sucessfull pain reduction is to stop the pain BEFORE it starts, not when it starts and it's been proven that if you wait until your pain level is an 8 instead of a 4 you will in fact get less relief from the exact same medications.

I'll be honest, I've had better pain management with short acting than long acting in some cases, especially after surgery. Thank God for PAM or PCM machines!

Before going on LA meds I was on SA meds for many many years it's just that over time they became less effective and I needed dosing in closer intervals which put me in danger of too high of levels of APAP. I didn't start out on a LA med and I doubt most have after being on a short acting for some period of time and only after it lost it's effectiveness.

The best you can do is try to bear with the program and know it's going to get better. It may not get better with this doctor but it will get better, I promise. I think part of it is that your body is not used to LA medications, you need to build over time, which is why you are getting so sick. You are overly worried, and have a right to do so, but we've all walked in your shoes at one point in our lives so you aren't alone.

I know the short 15 day supply doesn't seem like much right now but consider it a blessing. I am sure he put you on such a small amount to see if you can tolerate it instead of having you waste money on something that may not work for you.

So you see, it's that trial and error thing that keeps coming back. I think most doctors, even the new one you spoke of, would follow some similiar regimine as they all prescribe generally the same medication. In your case however it's not only about your medications but your treatment as a person and that I can say has been terrible!
    Your emotional needs and understanding right now is just as important as your physical pain needs, I'm just so sorry that both of them are not being met.

Barb

Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Yeah... I did cancel the appointment at the other place and said some things that would hopefully make them willing to reschedule an appointment if I ever needed to switch PMD (which I'm thinking about).

Unfortuantely, choctaw, her post is stuff I already know--I'm not necessarily a newbie, even though I've just started going to a PMC.

Thanks for your guys help/support.

Thanks again Barb-couldn't agree more with a lot of the things you said.

Unfortunately the 15 day supply thing isn't a trial--I forget their exact wording, but basicaly wasnt something they'd be doing again.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 03-21-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Got my fingers crossed really tight for ya !!!!!!!

MAN....Id hate to be in your situation !...Itll work out !!, BB !!

oh...and I wasnt directing the ' newbie' statement at you..sorry if it seemed like it..........I just meant she should put it on a sticky for when ' newbies' join the board. I know youve been around for a while !

anyways

itll work out !

deana

Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Thanks

I'm really hoping my "soul searching" today will lead me to the right decision.

I'm hoping I make the right decision--really really hoping I will.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

are you soul searching about your pain DR? or about your medication? I still think you should switch Dr's.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I'm soul searching about switching Dr's.

I'm up tonight, and will probably be up all night, thinking about it, actually.

One side of me wants to switch, one side of me doesn't even want to bother.

When you don't feel comfortable with a doctor's staff and their clinic, but could potentially feel comfortable with the Dr., it's just a weird situation.

Like, the whole block thing is scary--Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about it. Don't like needles, at all. Don't like being put under, at all. Don't like the fact a needles being shoved in my spinal area and the major risks include paralysis and death... No I don't like that, at all.

It's a celiac plexus block--anyone know anything about it? Why is there a risk of death with the procedure? Is it the procedure, or the sedation?

That's what makes it tricky, not feeling comfortable with their staff (with good reason), and doing something with risks, as rare as they may be. I've heard less than 1% have severe reactions to the celiac plexus block...

But I'm not sure I want to take a 1% risk with a clinic I don't trust.

That's where the soul searching comes in.

Someone could most certainly come in and explain the risks to me, because the nurses there would just tell me "fine don't do the block, then.. since you're nervous, don't do it." God knows that's true since that's what they told me about starting the Duragesic as an opiate naive patient.

Closed Thread