It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• My dr. fired me today......need to vent!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #16
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: My dr. fired me today......need to vent!!!

Hi again Jen! My heart really goes out to you...I can remember being in so much pain when I was in my teens into my early twenties from endometriosis. I can totally relate to the way you have been treated by the docs. I used to have to cry and scream (with my Mom by my side) to get any doctor to address the pain I was feeling 9 days out of the month. Finally I had enough and ended up with a complete total hysterectomy at the age of 22!! That certainly solved the problem. But back to you...I'm just curious because I have had 9 of my spine surgeries at Hopkins and wondered which doc you saw. My surgeon was extremely good...not much of a bed side manner, but he really saved my life. His name is David Cohen and he is one of the spine surgeons. Again, I think that fusion can be the answer but if the docs are not giving you good odds, I guess I would be cautious too. But even at 60% chance of improvement, isn't it worth the try? I guess I shouldn't be pushing the surgical solution but it has worked for me so many times. Anyway, my thoughts are with you and keep searching for the right treatment. KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #17
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. It's so nice to talk to people who actually understand what this is like and all the frustrations and depression.
    With every day that passes now I am considering more and more having the surgery. I know so many people on here have had tons of surgeries and I have no idea how you handle it! I'm just so scared to do it!!! I just read all the stories of how many people have been made worse by surgery...and I know it is very successful for a lot of people too but I'm still scared!! I am so afraid that it will make it worse and I can't even imagine having to live with pain that is worse than it is now.
    And in my case, my big concern is that since I have a severe degeneration problem that is ongoing, that the levels above and below the fusion will not take long at all in collapsing - since my discs are collapsing already for no reason. But, For sure if I can't find anyone to treat my pain in the next few months, I am not going to have much of a choice and it would probably be a big relief to just get it over with.
    The one good thing in this situation is that I just recently started seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist, who are both very nice and very helpful, and the psychiatrist has agreed to prescribe my pain meds until I can find a pain management doctor who will. I didn't even know they could do that!
    And I just started on the antidepressant Effexor XR a couple months ago. It seemed to be helping at first but since this situation happened I have been a big huge mess. But, if you know anyone who has headaches, I was getting headaches every single day for months and ever since I started Effexor I have not had a single one.
    I was referred to a pain doc I haven't yet seen by my psychiatrist and I'm also going to make an appointment with the one pain doc I saw a few years ago who actually seemed to care; I think he will have some more suggestions for me.
    You wouldn't believe the last pain doctor I saw, it was only a few months ago and my evil dr. made me go see her...... she and her associate didn't even examine me, didn't listen to a word I said, and just looked at my drawing of where the pain is, and said, "Your pain doesn't match up to your problems, it's too widespread, therefore we believe that there is nothing wrong with you except fibromyalgia. Do our fibro group program." They had the nerve to tell me that I don't have any herniated discs and that the shooting pain down my legs "just doesn't match up to nerve pain." I was like "Hello, do you think I'm an idiot? I have all the MRIs and EMGs that show quite clearly the herniations and nerve damage!" I mean some of these doctors are just insane!!!!! But anyway, enough of my ranting and raving. I want to thank you all for your encouragement and support and I pray that everyone here finds the answer to their suffering just as I hope to find it.

Oh, and KathyMac - would you mind filling me in on all your surgeries and problems and how they helped - I think you said you had thoracic fusion?? I'm just curious in hearing what all you had done and how it was and how it all turned out, especially since I know the thoracic area is the worst to operate on. I think the neurosurgeon I saw at Hopkins was Dr. James Campbell - and then he sent me to an ortho whom I had never heard of before.

thanks,
    ~Jen

Old 04-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Jen....I completely understand you being afraid of surgery, especially since you have never been through it. I've had over 60 surgeries and hopefully just had my last surgery a few days ago to remove my kidney (my source of pain). I was very tormented on the decision to do this, but I had to try one last time to see if my pain levels would decrease. I feel better post-surgery than I ever did pre-surgery on a good day. I just hope things keep getting better and I don't go into kidney failure anytime soon, which the surgeon said is a high probability within 2 yrs. of removing my kidney. The same condition affects my remaining kidney, but I don't have any major problems from it.

Jen, I've never had back surgery and I hope I never need to. I can't even begin to tell you what to expect because I've never been there. All I can say is that if your doc thinks (I would also get a 2nd or 3rd opinion) that your pain might decrease by 50-60%, don't you think you should start considering it. I'm not saying go schedule surgery next month, but just start thinking about it. You, and only you, can make that decision and you will have to live with that decision. I understand the frustration about surgery, not knowing what the outcome might be, and just being plain scared! Just don't completely block surgery has a possibility, ok?? Please keep me updated, ok? Bye for now.

Closed Thread