It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Stolen Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #46
    Wingsoflove

Wingsoflove HB User
    Re: Stolen Meds

Hi, I'm so sorry this is happing to you. I was disgusted you have been treated so rude. And to have a doctor yell at you. That is unbelievable. If this is going to ruin your life and make you out to look bad, and you have to suffer because of this hospital and doctor. I would take action against them. I'm sure you will feel weird seeing this meanie doctor now no matter what happens. You don't need that. When all you were doing is getting help at the ER. I think you shouldn't give up. Keep calling! Do you have someone you can take along with you when you talk to the hospital?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #47
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Tina,you know,I would go back to see this doc and sit down with her and tell her just exactly how you feel.really.she really was sooo way out of line in her treatment of you.that was inexcusable.while she is the doc and she does have the liability and other issues,you did not deserve to be screamed at like you were a child.thats just not right,by any doc,for any reason.you just do not DO that when you are a doc.yes she had a right to be ******,but she does not have the right to strip you of your dignity and all respect for you as a patient and a human being.It really does sound to me,just by her over the top reaction that she had some other issues perhaps going on that day or just ****** about the paper work and the risks that happen to the docs when a patients meds are stolen.i mean Geez,this crap just DOES happen to people ya know?it happens alot.peoples meds get stolen probably every single day from somewhere,but her treatment of you was just appalling,really inexcusable.you deserved to be talked to like an adult not screamed at by a raging lunatic.

when i had been at my PM for about eight months,I had an experience that really made me feel very very badly and guilty.it wasn't that I actually did anything wrong,but it was from something that an NP did that "HE" was not supposed to do i guess.

i had just had an aspiration and cort injection done at my orthos office to try and get some relief from my RSD knee.what i did not expect at all was that the knee was going to just explode into this burning infrno from hell like within fifteen minutes of the work being done o it.i mean this went from about a seven to a raging ten in fifteen minutes,i was just balling my eyes out by the time we got to my husbands truck in the partking garage.he actually had to pick me up and place me into the dang truck.we went home and i packed my knee i ice and layed there dying til i had to go for my regulat PM appt that just by pure chance was on the same day.well when I got there I saw a different NP than my usual one and he took one look at me and knew I was suffering horribly.it was just horrible horrible pain.all I asked for was help,please just help me.that was it.he did his eval and then told me he was going to increase my normal BT meds from the usual two per day limit up to being able to actually take two at a time but three times a day.i was sooo thankful and grateful for that.it WAS badly needed and it also really helped bring down the freakin pain.well the hell in my knee went for about two weeks but getting a bit better day by day.

when I went back for my regular follow up appt,I was NOT prepared for what happened next at all.It was my regular NP and she was soooo ******.I was shocked really because I had actually done nothing wrong at all.but here she was ,not screaming at me but just making me feel sooo awful and soo guilty for absolutely nothing that I actually even did.I told her right out that i NEVER ever asked for those extra meds and it was up to the NP to do whatever he felt was needed to try and get this nasty nasty pain down to a level that was at least in the range of tolerable.but i still sat there getting this non stop lecture about not asking for extra BT meds and a ton of other crap.it was unbelievable really.when I left there I felt so incredibly guilty for something i did not even do or actually have any sort of real control over.

This really really bothered me alot over the next few weeks til I saw her again and had decided that when I saw her I was going to let her know just exactly how she made me feel.it was just not right.so when I saw her,before doing anything else I just told her that we really needed to talk.she said okay/so i preceeded to tell her just exactly what took place at that particular appt when I got the Rx for the extra meds and that I did absolutley nothing wrong,at all but yet when I left here after that last appt with you,geez,I felt like total crap and soo guilty,for something that I just had no control over and that just wasn't right at all.i didn't actually DO anything but accept an RX that was written for me by an NP.thats it and it was very very needed,but somehow you feel i did something wrong here??she just kind of apologized for how what she told me had come across as,and said that it wasn't exactly my "fault' but that I need to be aware of all of those "hidden dangers" of having to use those short acting meds.

but the whole episode was just so incredibly stupid.she just made me feel like some sort of a criminal or something when all I did was just do what the NP had told me to do.if it was anyones actual fault,it was the NP,not me.interestingly enough,he left there shortly after this incident so I don't know if he was also 'talked to" or what.but man she made me feel like total crap for something I did not even do or even ask for.

the thing here is that this incident made me feel so incredibly crappy about the whole thing and it really really bothered me to the point that If I didn't try and talk to her just to let her know how incredibly guilty she made me feel,I would have drove myself crazy just having this totally replaying over and over in my mind.

i really DO think tina that you really really just have to sit down with her to tell her how you feel about what took place at that appt.this was just so out of line and not to mention so unprofessional on her part.she just had no right to strip you of your dignity like she did.the fact that you two had what you said was a good relationship before all of this happened makes me think that maybe just speaking up for yourself and really honestly tell her about how you feel by what she did that she will at least feel a bit badly for screaming at you like you were a two year old.Just tell her that she can believe what she wants but this DID happen and i am really sorry but geez,I just didn't deserve that at all.tell her you will do whatever you need to do just to try and regain her trust.If you don't advocate for yourself no one is there to do it for you,ya know?she really needs to know just how this whole event impacted you.espescially since from what you stated,she IS the one and only PM that you can see right now?

Just be honest and truthful about the whole entire episode and that while you did deserve some sort of a repremand or something,what she did was just way too over the line and she really really hurt you in the process.hopefully just both of you talking thru this whole thing will help alot and get things at least started back on track.but you really do need to get this all out tina,really.i do wish you the best of luck with this situation and can get the same caring and trusting doc back that you had before this crappy thing happened to you.take care,Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 04-16-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #48
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I got the paperwork to fill out from the police department on Saturday in the mail. I'm getting my statement all typed out to be mailed in tomorrow. I"m hoping that they will do something about this. I know that I will not get my meds back, obviously. But I really hate to think of this happening to someone else because the cops and the the hospital decided to do nothing about htis situation. I'm going to copy my police report as well to give to the hospital administration. I'm hoping that if they realize that I am not going away that they will actually pursue some sort of internal investigation. LIke I said, I know this won't change or help what happened to ME, but maybe they will find the culprit and it won't happen to someone in the future, at least not by that particular theif.

And yes, everyoen I have spoken with has had the same reaction... Why did security NOT call the police themselves???? From what I hear it shouldn't even have been up to me while at the hospital itself. I reported a theft of a narcotic. They should have called the police immediately. My friend who is a nurse that lives in Georgia actualy worked at this particular hosptial while she was still living here and she said from what she remembered (it was about 4 years ago taht she moved) they have a policy on that sort of thing and that you ARE supposed to inform the police!!! This guard went out of his way to ttalk me out of it.... He even spoke to my roommate when I was taken upstairs for my ultra-sound about how he'd hate to see me in trouble for filing a false police report if I went home and found my meds on the coffee table!?!? From what I am hearing as long as I called the police after I got home and found them it WOULDN'T be a false report at all becaue they would just ammend the report I had filed!!! You would think that this guy would know that.... I just with I had been more "with it" while I was there and not in so much pain that I wasn't thinking straight. Unfortunately the pain was all I could think abou twhile I was there and I just wanted to find out what was wrong with me and go home!

As for my PM doctor... I'm still in shock I think. It just baffles me that this happened with her. I am already getting nervous about calling for my refill this week. I am hoping that Dan (her asst.) will tell me that everything is okay, etc... Maybe the police will have talked to them by then and they will know that I am REALLY serious, my meds WERE stolen. You'd think that if all I wanted was an early refill I could have tried to find an easier way to go about it than cancelling my bank account, filing police reports, etc.... but who knows. I guess I'd probably be surpised at what some have done for early refills.... BUT I am hoping that KNOWING me they will realize that this is not what is happening here. I've always been honest with my doctor, why would I stop now? Really. I only hope that after some time to think about what happened she will realize that. But I am not getting my hopes up TOO much. Honestly, right now my only real hope is that they continue my meds as normal when I call fro the refill and that I don't get yelled at again... I don't know if I could handle that from her again.

Well, here's hping I hear something from the cops about all of this!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #49
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Tina...when do you go back to the doc and when do you call for your refill? Is it today or tomorrow? Everytime I open my safe (I have a pistol safe that's bolted to the floor and the wall that I keep all my meds in...it has a digital keypad lock & a regular key lock) to get my meds out, I think of you. How have you been holding up? Please keep us posted on what happens, ok?? I believe everything will be ok. If she wanted to drop you, I think she would have done it last week, you know?? Bye for now.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #50
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I called this morning about my refill. Today is 7 days. I don't need it today and told them I can pick it up tomorrow but just wanted to call ahead incase there is anything else I need to do,etc... Plus they are out of teh office every Friday. This was about an hour ago. Haven't heard anything yet. I am nervous but I think you are right, if she was going to drop me I would think she would have done it last week. At least I would HOPE that she would have done it last week and not say it was water under the bridge if she didn't mean it. That would not be very fair...not that she has to be fair, she can do whatever she wants. Sometoimes I really hate knowing that my well-being is totally at someone else's mercy. It's depressing.

I will let you know what she says. In the meantime, I mailed in my police report etc... to the police. Haven't heard anything yet but I just mailed it Monday afternoon so they are probably just getting it today. Hopefully they will at least TRY and look into it...

Tina

Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #51
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Good luck Tina I sure hope it all works out! I hope that if on an off chance that she does decide to let you go she takes into consideration you just can't stop your meds and is at least willing to help you until you can get a new doctor. Hopefully though she doesn't go that route and things get smoothed over for you.

What ever happened with the Hospital? Have you talked to any "officials" there at all regarding the situation?

wishing you a painfree day!
    Barbie

Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #52
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I have been waiting to get some sort of feedback from the police before moving forward too much with the hospital. I want to know what the police are goin to do, if anything and they have to get my paperwork before they decide. Ugh.

Havne't heard back from the PM office yet. 2 and a half hours now. Argh. I know that is not unusual. I am just extremely stressed. I hve been dreading having to call for this refill for the past 7 days!!! I just wish they would call and let me know what the heck was going on one way or the other at this point. I am so sick of worrying about it. Honestly. It is doing me more harm and making me feel worse being so anxious about this situation!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #53
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Let us know how it works out Tina

I am seeing a new PM Monday, and am nervous about that as well.

I think your statement "I hate knowing my well-being is in someone elses hand" is SO SO true! I feel the same way.. not knowing what the new PM is going to say or if they'll help.

I sure hope things work out for you Tina; you seem like a very good person.

Update ASAP, I'll keep on updating the page to see if and when you hear something. I'll say a prayer and pray that everything works out for you Tina.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #54
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Thanks for the prayers! I'll be thinking about you as well. Too bad your appt isn't any sooner than Monday! Ugh. The waiting always makes it so much harder.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something. I'm hopign that my doc's assistant will at least get back to me this afternoon! That would be nice. I just want to know what is happening so I can deal with whatever it is.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #55
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Just heard from Dan, her assistant. They are filling another week today. This one is for another week. Just to be sure (I guess this what she has done with poeple in the past who have had similar situations, nice that she didn't tell ME That and made me feel like it was just me) and then the NEXT one next week will be for two weeks until our next group appt and then it will be back to normal, the month long script. She DOES still have me at 40mg though. He said that was because she wanted to see if I still needed to be 50 now that I have my depo since the reason I had gone up was that my pain was increased due to being off the depo. Once again, why didn't SHE say that? Because she was irriatated with me for leaving my pruse in the waiting room,which I understand. But still feel it is unproffessional. I'm doing fine at 40 though. So it's okay. Good to know or I would have been at 50 forever when I didn't need it. So I am picking it up this afternoon. Or tomorrow if I get out of here late I guess.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #56
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

That's great to hear it seems to be working out. I agree her behaviour is a bit unprofessional but perhaps it's her way of scaring people or trying to weed out those who are really lying. I would just let it go in terms of the doctor and carry on but I would still at least do one follow through with the hospital to ensure that they realize what's happened. Nothing may ever come of it but at least you did all you could to warn them about potential situations in the future.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #57
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Oh I am definitely going to let it go with my doctor. I am still in the group and I am grateful for that, period! Yeah, she definitely did NOT need to yell at me the way she did. That is really never necessary in my mind unless someone has done something absolutely horrific to you.

I am going to for sure follow through with the police and the hosptial though. We are supposed to trust these nurses and doctors. How can we do that when things like this happen? Every time I go there in the future I will be afriad of getting robbed!!! When you are in the ER you have enough to worry about. You shouldn't have to worry about your nurse or a security guard pilfering thru you purse for things to steal!!!I don't want to see this happen to anyone else. I'm sure it happens more than I'd like to know already!

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #58
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Tina GREAT news that your pain doc didn't drop you. I really didn't think for a minute she was going to or she would have done it at your last apt . see all that stress and worry you put yourself through all week was all for nothing everything is FINE as I assumed it would be. Hopefully things have settled down for you now and you can move on and forget about the yelling and treating you so poorly and get back to your life and your pain free days.

and I am glad to hear your doing so well on the 40mgs of meth vs the 50 mgs. I am still suffering on 40mgs of oxy twice a day. I guess I will get raised again until my pain is at a 50% level, I just want to be able to putter in my beautiful garden and enjoy myself playing with my 3 wonderful dogs. I am thinking maybe methadone might work better for me than the oxycontin cuz i have a ton of back pain and nerve pain and i heard it works good for that but I know I can't mention a paticular drug to the Dr or they feel your a seeker.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #59
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I really don't think that they will think you are a drug seeker necessarily.... Have you been with this doc for awhile? If you have been with them for awhile and have never given them any reason to doubt you,etc... then you should be able to tell them about yoru thoughts on the methadone. You don't have to demand to be changed. Just open up a discussion. I tell my doc that I come on this board all the time so if it were ME I would tell them that I belong to an online PM group and that many of the popel there are on methadone with great success and that because I was not getting a lot of relief from the oxy, woudl it be worthwhile to consider looking into changing meds all together rather than continuing to increase dosages, etc... Taht doesn't sound like drug seekign to me since you ALREADY are on oxycontin! It's just curiosity. But I DO know how you feel. I worry about the same sorts of thing....

This year I AM feeling so much better that I am looking forwward to being able to try and MAKE a beautful garden! Last year I was albe to do SOME things.... finally got some things to grow in my back yard flower bed (one out of three). It is hard because we get FULL sun all day and nothing wants to grow in that! Finally got a couple of things to grow but was always in too much pain to do much... No me and my big ole doggie will be spending a lot of time out there this season. I'm excited to finally be able to think about doing it and have it be a possibility!

I really hope you are alb eto get your meds on the right level (or the right MED all together!) so that you are at least 50% pain free... There is nothing worse. Up until these past 4 months my pain was ALWAYS between a 7-10 at all times. IF not higher. For the past 6 years. It's like I have a new lease on life now... That is why I was so afraid of being dropped... I just didn't want to go back to that misery.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #60
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Tina, if you have an area in your yard that gets full sun there is sooo much you can do with that I have an area just like that myself and I have over 150 perennials (plants that come back every year and flower) in blazing hot sun all day long IO made myself a cottage garden. That is the best thing for plants. Some plants LOVE full sun all day long, I mean beaming hot for 10 hours a day. I have a HUGE garden and I love flowers I am addicted to them BIG TIME. I have such a green thumb when it comes to plants you wouldn't believe it. a few years ago I was ripping out a rose bush and I was using horrible body psture and I blew out a disc. I almost paralized myself, in fact I went to the ER room cuz the pain was so bad and than I went numb in my lower extremities, and they admitted me right than and there for a huge back operation because I had Cauda equina syndrome which is considered a HUGE medical ermergency and i had to go in for an operation that very minuite. the surgeon didn't no if would ever be able to walk again since I could barely walk when I showed up at the hospital. He also said I may not have bowel and bladder contro as I had already lost that when I showed up there, it was that serious. I stil to this day have numbness in parts of my saddle area as well as the backs of my legs and my buttocks. but at least EVERYTHING works and I am abe to walk and go potty and do everything else that they thought i wouldn't be able to do its a spinal injury a serious one and its so rare happens to one out of a million people.

So I am dangerous in the yard but I love to garden. I live in the woods and I have a huge piece of property with 2.8 acres for gardens and I have shade area's and full sun area's I am truly blessed I have 3 shade gardens to. Last year I re did all my landscaping and have a nice garden around my swimming pool loaded with gardenia's and the smell is to DIE FOR good.

Roses love full sun so do most other flowering perennials so you could really do a nice garden for yourself with tha but you have to plan it out and talk to the nursrey about what does good in your area.... the key is to water every day when its hot out and use a nice mulch to protect your plants and to keep moisture in. I belong to a wonderful gardening forum that is great and gives you lots to think about and people post pictures of there yards and its really a neat site.

I love to have my 3 boxers ( dogs) out with me while I work in the yard, I am lucky for I live in a colda sac in the woods so there are VERY few cars around so my pups are very safe. One of them is a hunter so she has to be " tied" to a tree on a nice long leash but she loves to just hang out with her mama in the garden on a nice blanket under a tree.

anyhow I see a pain doc every 2 weeks and have only been seeing him for about 2 months now. my at is next week so I may just mention it to him. but I am on a low dose still so I have lots of room to move up, I am on 80mgs a day of Oxycontin and it really doesn't touch my pain as I have constant low back pain and sciatic pain, it really bites. I am glad you finally got your pain under control to, that is soooo cool.

Take care,

Closed Thread