It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Stolen Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #61
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User
    Re: Stolen Meds

Tina I forgot to mention that you will need to ammend your soil if the soil is bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #62
    expat64
    (female)

expat64 HB User

sorry about this, how awful. my meds were once dropped down the drain by my dad, i was laying on his couch on vacation in NM, and i asked him to bring me pills out of my bottle and the cap wasnt' on, he p;icked it up and they fell out of his hands and a good 80% of them went down the drain, this stuff does happen if you're in PM long enough. the thing is the bad people who abuse do this all the time, with same stories even like mine, and so we all get punished for it. we're human, things happen.

i think your doctor won't drop you, first clue is she gave you another script, i think she's trying to scare you. maybe you should write her a letter explaining all becuse you didn't have a chance to tell her due to her lblowing up, that's crazy. when my dad lost his heart meds his doctor didn't scream at him, how dare they scream at us, just because we're in P:M and need narcatoics instead of other meds is no excuese to treat us like this. they know they have us wrapped around their little finger due to physical dependance and pain. think abou t it, if you were on choloesterol lowring medication your doctor wouldnt scream and treat you like crap if you lost your meds or they were stolen. why should this treatment be any different, as long as God still continues to make humans mistakes will happen and she needs to get off her high horse.
    write her a letter so she knows the whole story of your bank cards, etc etc and how upset you are. but i think she freaked out didn't read your chart carefully for the first incident she calls it, and took it all out on you. she might ap;ologize when you see her next. nbut if she was that ****** off she wouldn't have given you meds, she was trying to teach you a lesson i think. let us know what happens at your apooitment!
    expat

Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #63
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Expat! Although I agree 100% with you that chronic pain patients shouldn't be treated like criminals if they lose their meds or have them stolen by some thief, there is a huge difference between a patient who loses their cholesterol meds and one that loses their narcotic medications. You really don't read much about a black market or street price for things like Lipitor! Folks who take that drug, and I am one, certainly wouldn't get any pleasure, buzz or high from doubling their dose. But when we lose or have stolen our pain meds you can be sure that the crook who took them will be either using them for their own drug habit or selling them on the street for quadruple the pharmacy price! Because of that our docs do look at the situation differently. You really can't blame them for that. I have only had my medicine stolen one time and was lucky enough to have the thief return the majority of the pills when she was confronted. I can't even guess how many times pain management docs have heard the stories of lost, stolen or sink-bound meds. Take care - KathyMac

Old 04-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #64
    Guitar Lover
    (male)

Guitar Lover HB User

Tina,

I was afraid that might happen if you called for an early refill. The sad part of it all is our bodies have become dependent on the meds and we have to have it or we are so sick we can't work. It is so hard to find a doctor that understands and we don't want to lose a good one either. Its the people who have something happen to their meds every other month that made it hard on you or anyone else who has an accident. My doctor told me every month at least one patient calls for an early refill. I can see the doctors frustration too. I can say I won't call for an early refill but I won't go without medicine either. I have to work as all of you do. I hope everything is ok for you Tina.

GL

Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #65
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Things seem to be going okay for the most part. I got my refill from them last Wednesday evening and they gave me TWO weeks this time and I thought they were only doing a week again, so that was good. Makes me feel liek they are starting to believe me and trust me more. So that is a very good thing. I'm hoping that over time they will see that I'm NOT calling for early refills, etc..and that this truly was an unusual circumstance that was out of my control. Then hopefully we can re-establish the good relationship that we had before this happened. That would be a very good thing!

As for the rest of the situation.... I have not heard from the police yet. I mailed my report last week. I don't know how long these things normally take. That is, IF they decide to investigate. If I haven't heard anything by the beginning of next week I will call THEM I guess. I'd at least like to know if they are planning on doing anything or not. I'm guessing it goign to be probably not. All they could do really is question people at the hospital...and no matter if they KNOW anything or not, I hightly doubt they will rat anyone out or confess or anything like that. But still, it would be nice to knwo that the police actually CARED that someone there is doing this to their patients. It's really sad when you think about it.

As for me, the 40mg seems to be doign okay I guess. I've had some break thru pain which is annoying...doesn't seem to be getting any better but not any worse either. So I've been able to manage by just taking some ibuprofren here and there and putting my feet up when it gets really uncomfortable. But no matter what the methadone is STILL definitely working better than the other meds ever did. I'm not sure that I feel I would really NEED a raise in my daily dosage...because it isn't every day that I have the BT pain... I guess I will talk to her when I see her in two weeks.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #66
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

Definately call the police to see the status. Sometimes you really have to keep on top of things like that.

I'm glad things are looking better....I can't believe she treated you like that though.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #67
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Still have heard NOTHING. So I am goign to call the police this week and find out what the status of my case# is. I jsut want to know if they are doing anything or not...or if I am just wasting time. I was hoping to hear somethign back from them before a wrote a letter to hospital administration... But looks like that might not work and I should get writing. If anyone has any ideas as to how to prhrase things, etc.... let me know. I'm normally ereally good at stuff like this (writing, etc...) but when I'm all fired up with stuff liek this I get a little carried away.... Yikes....

Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #68
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Tina! You aren't going to like what I have to say, but here goes... I think you need to stop thinking that the cops are going to do anything about what happened to you at the hospital. In the overall scheme of things, the case of the stollen or missing pain meds is pretty small potatoes. I know that to you and I'm sure for me as well, I'd be hopping mad and would demand that the cops do something, but take my word for it, they won't. I think your best bet is to write the letter to the hospital administration as you've mentioned and then...Let It Go!!! I really care about you and follow your posts all the time. You seem like a terrific person and wasting time thinking about what happened just isn't your style!! As for suggestions about what to say in the letter, I'd suggest a brief and to the point synopsis of exactly what transpired. I wouldn't get accusetory (sp?) or direct any anger toward the hospital admin. They are much more likely to look into it if you can keep extreme emotion out of it, but at the same time letting them know what kind of hell you had to go through because this happened. If this is a pattern and they've already done some checking on a particular employee for past problems, you are unlikely to hear the details. Privacy issues being what they are, no hospital is going to risk a law suit by telling you that, Yes, Nurse A has a drug problem and this is the 4th time she's been implicated in diverting meds, etc. Your letter may only serve to be the straw that breaks the camels back when it comes to this employee getting the help that they really need. Take care - all the best - KathyMac

Old 05-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #69
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Don't forget about your local papers.Alot of people read letters to the editor and the paper loves the kind of letter you would be writing Tina!!!!.......Dave

Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #70
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Oh Kathy, I totally understand. I really never expected the police to do anything about it. Maybe if they had called them right when it happened. I'm not super upset about their lack of action. It's more annoyance than anything...they could at least let you know they even received your reports, etc.... Oh well... I knew from the get-go that they would be hard pressed to have any real investigation because all they could do is ask people and I highly doubt the culprit would come clean. I mostly wanted to file the police report so that it is on record. That way if they have ANOTHER complaint of this sort at St.Mary's my report with dates, etc...is there as well and maybe eventually the culprit will be caught. I knew I was screwed from the beginning but I hope to help someone else in the future possibly...

As for the letter to the hospital, that is what I need to be careful with exactly. Not letting emotion get into it. Because I really do feel very violated. It's upsetting that people that are there to "help" you would screw you over like that. I am feeling a lot better about it now. Especailly now that I know that I'm NOT getting dropped by my PM doctor, etc... Now if THAT had happened, I'd pitching a HUGE fit I think with the hospital and the police. But all in all, I'm okay now. I just hate the idea of it happening to someone else who's doctor might NOT be understanding of the situation. That could cost someone their quality of life. I just want them to know that there was a theft, what the date was, etc...so that way they can track what employees were working at that time, etc... This way, if it happens again, and again and the same employee is always on the scene, it could, as you said, help THAT person get the help they need, but more importantly, hopfully stop this from happening to anyone else in the future. At least with THAT employee. This is why I have waited to write teh letter to the hospital. If I had written it when this first happened it would have been a five page long tirade. But as it is, I want it short and sweet. I'm also thinking that I will include a copy of my police report? What do you gusy think? That way they know that I filed one incase the police never tell them, they will know that this IS on record and should be taken seriously by the hospital...

Not sure about the local papers.... This is the hospital I HAVE to go to for my insurance and with my condition I do get in there several times a year. I'd hate for them to "retaliate" against me with shoddy treatment. Which you would hope wouldn't happen...but then again I never thought anyone would steal my meds and credit cards from me there either! I guess I could do it anonomously....

It's just really unfortunate that this person, whomever they are, is giving this hospital a bad rap. Because really it has been THE nicest hospital I have ever been in , and there have been several over the past 7 years! They are always really nice and considerate, etc... I have had very good experiences with them (except when I was in there on Thanksgiving night which was a whole different story I posted about a while back) until this horrible day. I'd hate for this sort of thing to cause people to not want to go there because it is a really first rate place to go if you are ill. That is what is SO upsetting about the whole thing.

Oh well. I guess I'll get cracking on the letter to the hospital. It would be nice if the police would at least call or write to acknowledge the report I filed though. Especially since you MAIL it in...then you always have that nagging question of if it got lost in the mail, etc... I'm sure they got it. But what can they really do about it? Just file it away for future reference. Although I sincerely hope that this NEVER happens to anyone else. But if someone there has a drug problem, I highly doubt this was either the first NOR the last time someones drugs will be stolen. Very, very, sad.

Thank you gusy for your support. I know I have ranted on and on about this. It just really upset me. I never thought something like this would happen to me, especially not at the hands of a healthcare professional. I guess I know better now! When it comes to opiates and other pain killers.... TRUST NO ONE! Sad but true...

Tina

Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #71
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Quote:
    As for the letter to the hospital, that is what I need to be careful with exactly. Not letting emotion get into it. Because I really do feel very violated.
    Quote:
    It's just really unfortunate that this person, whomever they are, is giving this hospital a bad rap.
    Tina, I just have to say it's time to let it go. Do you realize you are the only person giving the hospital a bad rap. You left your purse filled with meds and money unattended in a public waiting room for 3 hours. Why is it surprisng that someone stole something.

How do you come to the conclusion that it was a hospital employee? Wouldn't it make more sense for another patient waiting to see you leave your purse. Go over and pick it up, take it in the bathroom and take what they wanted and then drop it back where they found it. It makes as much sense as anything.

Just feel fortunate that the doc replaced your meds. You do realize we are responsable for the safe keeping of our meds don't you?

My neighbor broke into my house and stole 75% of my meds 3 days after I filled them. I didn't call my doc because I had signed a contract and knew meds would not be replaced. Not soley because the excuse has been used by addicts to get more meds, but to recognize our responsability to keep our meds safe that will kill the average person off the street.

I did call the police and file a report to protect myself had he been cought with the meds and told them I sold them to him. All I got was the speech about proving something in court even though his wife said he must have stole them to trade for crack.

I didn't want to put my doc on the spot and put a 5 year relationship to the test. When you boil it down, I should have kept the meds somewhere that nobody would ever find them. A doc has entrusted me with meds strong enough to kill a handfull of teenagers in one night. I have a responsability to the community to keep those meds safe and out of the hands of those that might abuse or sell them.

Instead of obsessing about how you have been violated and let down by the hospital and police, think about your responsability to keep your meds safe. All they have to investigate is a claim, no evidence, no witness, just a claim.

Now my neighbor is back from rehab, so I devide my meds into 4 seperate containers and hide them in 4 seperate spots. This way he can't get me with one fell swoop and hopefully he can't get enough to do harm to some kid that doesn't know what they are getting into or just how potent these meds are?

If you go on and on with your doc, your PA or the group thing about how you have been violated, Someone else may ask, Tina, what do you think your responsability in this situation was?

I don't get the sense that you see you had any reponsability at all. You just left a purse with enough meth to kill a few kids sitting in a waiting room for 3 hours. Hospital security, the nurses on staff and the police should have been watching your purse?

Count your blessing you didn't wake up the next morning and read about 4 high school kids ODing the night before on meth. Who's fault would that be?
    The hospital, A nurse on duty in an ER, the security gaurd, or the lady that loaded her purse full of drugs and left them sitting in the waiting room.

I'm sorry this happened, but the more indignant you get about loosing your own meds the doc has trusted you to keep safe, The less sympathy you're actually envoking. I wouldn't have brought this up, but after 70 posts on the topic, I'm getting the impression you won't let this drop with your doc either and you may get the same speech from him or her. Learn from it, except some responsability and move on. The hospital and police have nothing to investigate.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-03-2006 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #72
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I have said several times that I am aware that in the big picture that I am responsible for leaving my purse inthe waiting room. As for how I know it was a hospital employee and not another patient, that is because while my purse was in the waiting room for those three hours it was constantly on the hospitals surveilance cameras and NO ONE touched my purse until a nurse picked it up and took it to the nurse's station where there are NO cameras. That is how I know that another patient did not steal my medication, cash, and credit cards. The only time this could have happened is when it was at the nurse's station.

I have never said that I do not accept responsibility for what happened. I HAVE said that I feel it si wrong for people who are there to HELP us (hosptial staff, nurses, doctors,etc...) to be the ones that robbed me. If it had been some other patient that had done it, I wouldn't have really thought twice about it and would NOT be contacting the hospital. But since it is clear that it was NOT another patient and was in fact a hospital employee I feel that the hospital should be informed. What if I had been unconscious in my exam room alone on my meds. Would that give a nurse the right to come in and root thru my purse? No. Of course not. Yes, I was STUPID and in pain and left my purse in the waiting room. But the theft did not occur in the waiting room. It only occurred after it was in a nurse's hands. And that is wrong. That's my opinion.

And as for my doctor, I have not discussed it with her since the day it happened. I realize that there would be absoultey NO benefit for me to continue discussing it with her. I understand that it was MY fault for leaving them in the waiting room. But that doesn't mean that I can't also feel upset, violated, even sad that this happened to me. I guess I just felt that this was a forum in which I coudl express those feelings with friends and people that might understand how much the situation just sucked. No matter if it was MY fault or not.

Last edited by tina76; 05-03-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #73
    Bictwin
    (female)

Bictwin HB User

Well I can definitely relate to all of you. I have been on pain killers for about 3 years. And I have never had anyone steal even one pill. I've always been very careful. I seperate the meds and put them in different places. I've never kept a lock box because the only person that comes in my room is my identical twin sister. SHe's never had any pain problems, but she did break her arm and when they gave her vicodin for it, she took one and hated it. She hasn't used anything stronger than tylenol ever since. So I know I can trust her. But I had just filled my meds right before school, and I always counnt to make sure I received the correct amount. (Which was 300 pills) I had them in a small purse, inside another purse, at the bottom of my back pack. And stupidly I did leave my backpack while I went to the bathroom. When I came back there were 100 gone. Now my 3 friends said no one went near my backpack, so I have to assume it's them or they're covering for them. Needless to say, I went out that day and bought a lock box, to keep my pills in at home. And I have this necklace that has a treasure box on it, that opens and holds pills. So thats what I use to put JUST enough pills I need for the day. I just can't figure why they didnt empty the bottle and take all of them, ya know? Anyways, after reading most of these posts it helped me realize you can't trust anyone. And thats my weak point, trusting people too much. Anyways thanks,

Ash

Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #74
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

After reading the post after mine I'm editting my post as it seems to be directed my way.

I thought I had been very supportive, empathetic and helpful in my posts right from the start.

In my opinion,

you can't jump to the conclusion that only a nurse or a Dr. could have stolen the medication, along with the credit cards and bank cards etc. because as you say, there was no camera on the purse after it was moved. In my opinion it is possible that someone other than a Dr. or a nurse could have been in the area that the purse was.

As chronic pain patients we, as a group, are outraged when someone suggests that we are not being honest when say that some of our pills fell inthe toilet by accident. Or they were lost. Or stolen from our locked cars even though we have a police report. By accusing the nurses and Dr.'s in the hospital of taking the methadone, we are making a much stronger and potentially harmful accusation based on little evidence.

Addiction happens in every profession though and it shouldn't be any surprise that there are nurses, Dr.'s guards, police and any other profession who are addicts.

For the police to get involved in a bigger way, there has to be some evidence that will stand up in court, otherwise it is a waste of their time. I'd rather have them out and about.

Tina you have been very upfront and took blame for leaving your purse unattended (when you are in pain I can see how it could happen) right from the start. But it really shouldn't be a surprise that someone would latch on to your purse in this situation.

I do think that the best thing you could do Tina, at this point, is to put a period and move on. Smarter than you were before. Glad that while your Dr. didn't act in a prof. way towards you, at least she didn't leave you to withdraw from these meds. obn your own. If meds. that she Rx'd ended up being sold or caused someone to OD, I'm sure there would be repurcussions for her to bear. You know how sue-happy we all are!!

Other peoples experiences, doing the right thing or the wrong thing, should be welcomed on this board, as should other peoples opinions and suggestions.

At least that is my opinion.

Chaz

Last edited by Chaswick; 05-03-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #75
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Tina I'm very sorry about the long response you were given...

I feel it is a big issue and you shouldnt have to let it go. You acknowledged your mistake.

Let's see where the problem areas are.

1) Your Dr. yelled at you. Is this ever appropriate? No. She could have discussed it with you like a human being.
    2) The police haven't done anything telling you they've looked at the case at all.
    3) The only people that could have stolen it are the nurses or the doctors because it was the only time it was out of the survellaince area.

People think that their own personal experiences make them all-knowing to everyone elses situations because they did the right thing. Problem with that is, everyone's situation is different, and not everyone reacts the same way.

You can only do what you think is best for you, not what someone on here says is the right thing to do.

So sorry you're getting a hard time from members of this board.

Don't take it personally, at all.

Closed Thread