It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Calling for help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #46
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Calling for Shoreline's help

Hey Dan, Glad to see your back. I haven't had a chance to look into more scar inhibiting bio products. I do subbscribe to a service called Fierce biotech which updates investors on new Bio technologies. I don't always have a chnce to read every anouncment and I'm certainlynott investing but i does give me breaking news on what's new. I do thiink it's a good idea toget a second opinion. But you have to realize it's just an opinion. We kind of expect ou docs to be aware of every new product and procedure on the market, but that's really not possible. THe old school of thought was sugery to remove adhesions just created more adhesions. If the other doc isn't famliar with the Bio agents available to suress regeneration of scar tissue, he may suggest it's a bad idea. If you have surgery and things don't work out the way you hoped, don't kick yourself for not listening to a doc that said he didn't think surgery at this point is neccessarry. Every doc just has their own opinion. It woul be comforting to get several opinions that agree but it';s no always poosible.There are so many variations on how to do something as basic as fusing L5 to S1 and you may be told of 4 entirely different aproaches with different hardware. The ultimate decision is ours so the most important question you can ask is why? Why not, why this aproach, why that hardware, bio product and when it comes to revision of fusions, o use a bone growth stim or not.

when you are already taking opiates for PM, you don't want a doc that's willing to operate but his first order of busuisness is to get you off all pain meds as quickly as posible after surgery. Sure , you need to find out if the surgery worked, but you also need pain relief to heal and to participate in the physical rehab process.
    Good Luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #47
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Hi Dave , sorry I have been buisy around here and havent been on for a while.
    I'm going to have the surgery as planned. I just hope it doesn't make things worse.
    Guess its just a chance I have to take. It's 3 weeks from today. I been taking my Pain Meds ( percocet ) only when needed around 2 or 3 days when its at its worse .
    So Im not getting addicted to them. Hope your doing well today.

Dan

Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #48
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Good luck Dan, I was never worried about you getting addicted to tem. It's just tehe less you take now the better you will manage post op pain later and you will probably need it more those first few weeks and hopefully find out right away about the nerve pain. I woke from each of my surgeries with the leg pain completely eliminated. The last one took care of the pain but left me numb from the hips to ankles, but numb is better than on fire.

It took me months or a couple years to totally screw myself after each surgery. I did return to work after the first and second surgery at about 8 weeks and then 16 weeks for the first fusion As

I sit here and ligt a ciggerette, ya know that's a habbit that has to stop during the recovery "first 6 months at least", just a little advice that's much easier to give than follow.

Good luck and if your not up to it would you ask Sherry to pop in and let us know how your doing. Dave

Old 06-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #49
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Good luck Dan, I was never worried about you getting addicted to tem. It's just tehe less you take now the better you will manage post op pain later and you will probably need it more those first few weeks and hopefully find out right away about the nerve pain. I woke from each of my surgeries with the leg pain completely eliminated. The last one took care of the pain but left me numb from the hips to ankles, but numb is better than on fire.

It took me months or a couple years to totally screw myself after each surgery. I did return to work after the first and second surgery at about 8 weeks and then 16 weeks for the first fusion As

I sit here and ligt a ciggerette, ya know that's a habbit that has to stop during the recovery "first 6 months at least", just a little advice that's much easier to give than follow.

Good luck and if your not up to it would you ask Sherry to pop in and let us know how your doing. Dave
    Dave I want to return to some kind of employment real bad , but I am so scared I won't be able to do much. I'm not the brightest light bulb with only a high school education it's hard to get a desk job or do somthing that isn't involving lifting.
    I quit chewing tobacco ( copenhagen drives them pretty girls wild ) the day I had my first surgery .
    My wife only gets on here if I'm on. She's always buisy with her school work.
    She's going to school to be a nurse plus works a 40 hour job. She wants to go to school full time but we can't afford it right now. I will ask her to check in now and then..Thanks for your help Dave. You been a life saver.
    Hope your doing well as possible.
    Dan

Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #50
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Dave hope you been well ? I haven't seen you in a while.
    My surgery is only 2 weeks away. Hope to here from ya before then.

Dan

Closed Thread